PDA

View Full Version : Finally, Some Pics; '67 18' V-Drive

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
08-15-2006, 03:45 PM
I finally got some good shots of Honeybun. What a sweet boat this is. It runs smoother & quieter, shifts easier and just is a little better boat overall than the stern drive barrelback I had previously. And the bonus is it sits on a much better trailer so it's easier to launch and retrieve as well! I'm so happy I kept after this one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ntolnes/Eric/june21055.jpg
I can't believe how thin my hair got in the back. Cripes!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ntolnes/Eric/june21025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ntolnes/Eric/june21028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ntolnes/Eric/june21076.jpg

Eric

fastcat
08-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Beautiful boat. Looks to be very original. What is the history on it, do you know? Do you have any shots of the engine and v-drive? I'd love to see how the originals all looked. Our engine had been replaced a long time ago.

We just finished replacing the dash panels in our boat and installed a new carb, cleaned up the engine and bilge area. Looks a lot better....Now if we can get the time to put her back in the water. We've been preoccupied the last couple of weeks with working on a newly acquired boat- a racing sailboat. We have to get it out of the storage place and in the water by this weekend, then back to the Donzi. Then I'll let you know how she runs.

MOP
08-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Real nice! Best of luck with it, it was well worth the wait!

Phil

08-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Beautiful boat. Looks to be very original. What is the history on it, do you know? Do you have any shots of the engine and v-drive? I'd love to see how the originals all looked.

The original engine which was a 289 was replaced by a PCM Ford 5.0 @ 200hp.
The V-Drive is the original Crusader unit.
The neat stuff like the upholstery, the steering wheel, and the Jetsons style stern pole are original. Obviously, the hull side decals have been changed.
I don't know why the Morse shifter is mounted on a mahogany board. Perhaps it replaced one of those balky Teleflex units that require a larger cutout, hence the need for the wood. (?)

Eric

fastcat
08-15-2006, 04:34 PM
My shifter had also been mounted on a piece of wood, with a large hole behind it. In fact my whole dash was one big hole (6" x 19") covered up by a piece of wood with the gauges stuck in it.

08-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Yes, I've seen this before on quite a few older Donzis. My theory is that some of the customers who got the Teleflex shifters complained about them and the dealers retrofitted the more common and (I think) better Morse shifters on a fabricated board or metal plate to make up the difference in the size of the cutout.

This is PURELY conjecture on my part, so DON'T take it as fact.

Eric

BERTRAM BOY
08-15-2006, 04:59 PM
I love those '67 steering wheels........

Sam
08-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Love the name !!!

08-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Love the name !!!

As the story goes, it was bought by Bob Freihofer at the New York National Boat Show and delivered through the Pilot Knob Marina on Lake George. The colors reminded him of the Honey Buns that the Freihofer Bakery made, so he named it "Honeybun".
I also heard that one of his subsequent boats (a Cigarette type) was named "Cookie Monster".

Eric

penbroke
08-16-2006, 10:57 AM
NICE! :eek!: Can't wait to see her.

Bring her on up for the ACBS/Air Show this weekend on the waterfront...

Frank
Sorry I missed ya a couple weeks ago.

08-16-2006, 11:01 AM
I love those '67 steering wheels........

Yes, Cliff. How would we go about reproducing those? Mine has the original cast Donzi centercap, though I didn't take any pics of it yet.

Eric

08-16-2006, 11:15 AM
NICE! :eek!: Can't wait to see her.
Bring her on up for the ACBS/Air Show this weekend on the waterfront...
Frank
Sorry I missed ya a couple weeks ago.

Sorry, Frank. I'm headed to the Ohio river to play a gig with a Skynyrd tribute band this weekend. Then it's off to Myrtle Beach with the family. I'll be zipping back up north to work the Lake George boat show with Dad. He's bringing the '49 Century this year. Then I'll be at the lake until the 30th.
It's back to work on the 31st:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Eric

BERTRAM BOY
08-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Yes, Cliff. How would we go about reproducing those? Mine has the original cast Donzi centercap, though I didn't take any pics of it yet.
Eric

I'm working on it. I "stole" one from a fellow board member to copy. Altough I don't know if there will be enough interest to make it a viable project.

BERTRAM BOY
08-16-2006, 12:57 PM
seems I am missing mine so I would be interested in a reproduction ;) :p :)

I have NO idea what you are talking about..........

Magicallbill
08-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Matt;
Don't I have the same wheel on my 16?
Flat Racer;
Great rig; Totally Cool..
I have a '68 16 that my son Jason bought and we had restored from Jerry Eisele.Pics under "Magic's 16 Thread, Performance Talk.
I too play and perform, full-time. What's the name of your Tribute Band?

MB

BERTRAM BOY
08-17-2006, 06:09 AM
Matt;
Don't I have the same wheel on my 16?
Flat Racer;
Great rig; Totally Cool..
I have a '68 16 that my son Jason bought and we had restored from Jerry Eisele.Pics under "Magic's 16 Thread, Performance Talk.
I too play and perform, full-time. What's the name of your Tribute Band?
MB

If that same wheel was original on your boat, it's most likely a '67 and not a '68. Do you have a hull number?

ALLAN BROWN
08-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Judging by the dent in your transom under the lifting ring bolt, I'd say it is time for some 'Git Rot'.

Magicallbill
08-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Crap.

I had "68 Ski Sporter painted on the frame of my new trailer for it.
Bertram Boy;
I'm sure Matty knows more about it than me. I was under the impression it was a '68,but I'm pretty sure the wheel was/is original with the boat. I guess that would make it a '67.
Ole' Blue just got a year older.....

Magicallbill
08-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Sorry;
Didn't mean to get away from the cool V-Drive..The main subject matter...