PDA

View Full Version : A reliable transport service recomendation needed

martino55
08-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Can anyone recomend a transport service ? I've found a boat I like in Tallahassee,Fl and need it brought to Chicago its a 19ft. w/trailer.

mike
chicago

Donziweasel
08-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Try www.uship.com. It is like ebay. You list what you want moved and people bid on it. You can then accept the bid you want. Used it to transport my boat and they did a great job.

VetteLT193
08-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Can anyone recomend a transport service ? I've found a boat I like in Tallahassee,Fl and need it brought to Chicago its a 19ft. w/trailer.
mike
chicago

if I can help at down here in Tallahassee just let me know :) BTW, what did you find here?

Donziweasel
08-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Madpoodle, I agree that some of the bids I got were from shady people, but many were from reputable businesses. When I narrowed by choice, I recieved USDOT and FHWA operating authority papers, which I checked online, copies of insurance with calls to insurance agencies to verify and even a picture of the truck that was going to pull the boat. Like I said, most of the bids were from good companies that use this type of auction simply to get business. They had feedback like e-bay, which I checked.

Some of the so-called "professional companies" that do not use u-ship aren't that professional. I have heard some horror stories of people using professional companies that got screwed as well.

The moral to the story, if there is one, is no matter what means you use to find a company, do a good background check, obtain refrences, check with thier insurance company and make sure they have the authority to operate a commercail over the road delivery business with either the Unites States Department of Transportation of the Federal Highway Administration.

One last thing, the company I chose had a problem when delivering the boat. The cotter pin holding the nut on the wheel fell out and the result was that the wheel fell of going down the highway. No damage to the boat, but the company had the trailer repaired and was only delayed 2 hours. They only charged me for parts and gave me all the reciepts. I obviously was lucky as there was no damage to the boat and the company professionally took care of it.

Donziweasel
08-18-2006, 03:27 PM
-Scott, I re-read my reply and I guess I kinda sounded like a a-hole. Sorry, just been a long day. I own a bus and tour company so I have some insight into transportation. Below is a link to the SAFER webiste. Any and all interstate transportation companies should be listed, as is my own company. BE CAUTIOUS if the company anyone decides to use is not listed. If they do not have interstate authority, then they are running illegaly. If they get caught, they could have all of the things being transported impounded, including your boat!:eek!: :eek!: :eek!: It also list any and all accidents they have, their safety rating and basic info about the company. Whether you use USHIP or just look in a search engine, make sure the company is legit. Some companies may only have INTRAstate authority, which you have to have a $500,000.00 insurance policy. This authority only allows them to operate in that particular state and no where else. All legal INTERstate carriers must carry a $5,000,000.00 insurance policy and can operate in all states. If anyone needs more info, let me know.

http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/CompanySnapshot.aspx

Donziweasel
08-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Jeff must run a good show then. The neat thing about the site is that if anyone lapses on thier insurance or has an accident and someone is hurt (or worse), thier authority is immediatly suspended or revoked on the site. Not only that, anyone with authority must report any accidents, and if you have excessive ones, they show on the site, so you know if the company you choose is safe or has many accidents.

Every 5-6 years, the feds come in with a laptop, plug in, and go through a 2 day inspection. My last one was in 1999. It really sucks, kinda like being audited by the IRS. You only get one of three grades, satisfactory, satisfactory with changes that need to be made in 30 days (you can still operate), or unsatisfactory (they suspend your operating authority). Mine is below.

http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/query.asp?searchtype=ANY&query_type=queryCarrierSnapshot&query_param=USDOT&original_query_param=NAME&query_string=306716&original_query_string=NATIONAL%20PARK%20TOURS

Ahh the fun of transportation:wink: Scott, I am currently selling my company and for only $5,000,000.00 it can be yours!:hyper:

Donziweasel
08-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Exactly my feeling, but when it happens, there will be a 18 classic next to the 16 classic.:hyper: On the other hand, I really like the look of the Minx, Hornet III and Hornet II. Something about the looks of the boats in that era I really like. Wife likes the Minx.

CDMA
08-19-2006, 11:14 AM
I would recommend a fellow by the name of Sam Anderson. We use him a lot, insured, reasonable, and easy to deal with.

He will tow on your trailer or on his.

Tell him Chris Allard told you to call.

Samuel Anderson Trucking
352-302-8140

Chris