PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Time.

McGary911
08-14-2006, 08:51 AM
In a few months, I'll be moving to Jacksonville, and I don't feel comfortable towing my boat down there on my somewhat crusty (original 1978) trailer. So, I priced out an aluminum Load Rite. 4700 lb capacity, disk brakes on 1 axle (electric), torsion axles. It's a bunk trailer. I much prefer the way bunks support a boat as opposed to rollers. Man, they kept pushing the rollers though. It's just a little more $$$. Told the guy that wasn't the point. a few times. I used a shop that frank C recommended, which happened to be 4 blocks from the house I grew up in, and got, what i thought was a pretty good price of $2650. It sounds pretty fair to me. This is just the first trailer I've ever bought, and a little input may make me feel more comfortable.

Oh, and i wasn't thrilled about the "oh, trailer prices go up 5% on Tuesday" line..... :rolleyes: Save that for Vinnie's used car lot.....

roadtrip se
08-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Everytime I see a boat and trailer combo with rollers, I cringe. Each one of those rollers is going to leave a dimple in the boat, if it sits there long enough for sure!

"Bunks" can mean a million things too. I happen to like the shaped cradle method of supporting a boat, with two sets of runners, as opposed to the two flat log setups, alot of trailer companies use. The side benefit is a lower center of gravity and more lumber where it is needed under the boat.

Of course, there are one gazillion opinions on trailers here.

I have a 6000 pound MYCO under my 22 and just went through quite the experieince with it, but the premium I paid for this trailer translated into great service when I needed it.

Mad Poodle can hook you up with a real nice Continental too.

Do your research and spend a little to get a decent trailer under your ride!

MOP
08-15-2006, 03:35 PM
You are on track! Aluminum and bunks can't be beat, wait until you first tow you will keep looking back to make sure the boat is still there IE: they tow like dream.

Phil

P.S. Go for the stainless hard ware kit well worth the few bucks extra.

gcarter
08-15-2006, 07:08 PM
What Mop said.
I have surge brakes w/SST components on one axle.
How do electric brakes work?

Dr. Dan
08-15-2006, 07:20 PM
:wink: Good Luck...just one peice of advice....Torsion Axles, Torsion Axles and also don't forget Torsion Axles!

I tow alot.... and I can tell ya outside of the Disc Brakes I got on my Performance Trailer(Steel) on both Axles...which stop my Burban like a Drag Chute....the Torsion Axles have been priceless.... if Performance Built a Aluminum I would recomend them...but on this Forum for Aluminum I endorse Poodle and his Continentals.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38139&highlight=continental

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37290&highlight=continental

This is an exact pic of the Continentals... Dwights is a little bit more duded up than most...but here are some good pics!

Good Luck!

Doc:smash:

yeller
08-15-2006, 08:27 PM
My trailer is 2004 aluminum, with leaf springs and disc brakes on one axle (S/S solid rotor). Recently I borrowed Blueliners trailer to tow my boat, because my brakes were shot and I couldn't get parts before my holidays. His trailer is a 2005 aluminum, with torsion axles and disc brakes on one axle (vented rotor).
Blueliners trailer towed much nicer than mine. Not that mine is poor. Hell...I towed close to 3000mi to Arizona and back, at 70~90mph without a problem. It's just the torsion trailer seemed like a smoother tow.
Blueliners trailer also stopped better as well. My rotor is a 10" and Blueliners is a 12". Don't overlook the brakes that are being installed. Get the larger rotors and if you can afford it...on both axles.

Cuda
08-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Per DOT, trailers over 3k are required to have brakes on ALL axles...
The other Scott
OK, so I ignored that little spec when I ordered my fishboat trailer :eek: :eek:
Yeah, somehow I overlooked that part too.

As far as electric brakes, I wouldn't fool with them. I had them on a brand new trailer, and they didn't last six months as I recall.

McGary911
08-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Dwight's is real nice. I went ahead and ordered my LoadRite. I haven't seen my boat in a year :( and forgot how sorry my trailer was. Went to drag it out of it's tent, and one of the hubs even siezed. This is a hub with new bearings and a bearing buddy. Seems rust had gotten the upper hand on my old one, so i made the phone call to get the new one. Should be ready on the 30th. I'll shoot some pics when it arrives.

Now i just have to get the boat off the old one, and on the new one. I know it's easiest to do that at the ramp, but i dont trust the old trailer that far, and want to make sure the bunks are in the right place anyway. I should do fine with some wood, cinder blocks, bottle jack......and yeah, the backhoe will prove handy as well. :yes:

Cuda
08-16-2006, 06:42 PM
I would kill for a small endloader, backhoe, etc. I'm on dirt too much for a forklift. :(

gcarter
08-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Powertools are good :) :)
Is that Wayne's X?

onesubdrvr
08-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Is that Wayne's X?
I only WISH mine was in the same condition of that one,....:(

Of course, the deck gods have been pretty good to me :wink:

Wayne