PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell October 2006

DonCig
08-14-2006, 07:51 AM
I am going to try and host an event this October at Lake Powell.
For those of us out West, October in Arizona is a beautiful time of year.

I have two weeks in mind and I would like to see if anyone has a preference with kids being in or out of school for fall break.

The two blocks of time being considered are as follows:

Week of October 14th, the 14th being a Saturday.

Week of October 21st, the 21st being a Saturday.

I am leaning towards the week of the 14th but I will wait to see what input I receive.

I am also looking for a name for this event, hoping that it can become an annual rite.

DonCig

yeller
08-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Lucky dog! Going again.
Can't do it this year but, pen me in for 2007!!!

BTW: That's a great pic!

RickSE
08-16-2006, 10:46 AM
I'd suggest the earlier dates. We could probably do a long weekend, either 13th thru 15th or 14th thru 16th. We'd be camping no hotel this time. The only dates my kids have off in October is the 27th.

farmer tx
08-16-2006, 11:41 PM
I'll have to see how harvest goes.

Donziweasel
08-22-2006, 07:21 PM
I could probably make it. Definetly in 2007. Would probably rent a houseboat (they are pretty cheap that time of year). Anyone interested in sharing a houseboat, let me know. I'll bring the wetsuit for Rick:) :) :)

Vegas Classic
09-03-2006, 10:01 PM
My boat (98 Classic 18) will be here by then, I'd love to meet some regional Donzi onwers.:)

RickSE
09-05-2006, 12:58 PM
I just went up last weekend. The weather was great and the water is nice and warm. Things will start winding down now that Labor Day has passed. It's a good time of year to go up.

Vegas Classic, what do you have coming? Is it the boat you posted on earlier? I'm over here in Flagstaff and on Powell quite a bit. I haven't made it to Mead yet and only been to Havasu once so far. I'd like to go back to Havasu though this Fall.

Vegas Classic
09-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I ended up buying that 98 Classic 18", I think I got a decent deal, especially considering the the fact there are so few classics on the West Coast. I spent a lot of years on Mead as a kid, my dad always had some sort of Deep V, we had a red and white holman and moody 16 that I'm trying to find pictures of me on a beach at so I can duplicate it with my new boat, hahaha. We also had a weird 24' Donzi with a raised windshield and Formula 25.5. I finally decided it was time to get back to my roots so I sold my '97 Carrera to fund the Donzi and a tow vehicle, I'm excited as hell to get it out on the water. There is a an Offshore Super Series race on Mead October 6-8, I hope to be on the water for that, that might be a fun time for you to check it out. I've only been to Powell twice when I was young and I remember being amazed, I can't wait to go back in my own boat.

Here's a link to the event...

http://www.offshoresuperseries.com/

RickSE
09-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Vegas, we'll have to get together once you get the boat. I've been keeping an eye on the OSS race, sounds like a cool event to go watch .

On a side note, my race in Phoenix which was scheduled for Oct. 21 just got moved to the 14th. :( I would like to go back up in October.

Vegas Classic
10-01-2006, 05:48 AM
So, no left coast event this year?:confused:

yeller
10-01-2006, 04:30 PM
So, no left coast event this year?:confused:Looks like the October event died. You missed a good one at Powell this June and you just missed the Texas event. Pretty sure there'll be another west coast event next year. I know we're going to Powell again in 07 for sure....event or no event. Hope we can meet you then. Never been to Mead, but we want to hit that as well. Maybe you can show us around. :) :wavey:

RickSE
10-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Vegas, we still may hit Powell one more time but it won't be until late Oct. It just depends on the weather now. I'll probably visit Havasu this Fall, late Oct. mid Nov? I see you got your boat, looks good.

farmer tx
10-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Keep us posted. We would like to try and make a late Oct. or early Nov. gettogether, if harvest allows.

DonCig
10-28-2006, 08:24 AM
We just had 2' of snow in the mountains, I would have to go south through New Mexico to make the trip now.

Don

RickSE
10-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Don, I never made it back up after Sept, just too much going on in Oct. :frown: Powell is pretty cool to run in the winter though since there's no one there. You can run for miles and miles without seeing anyone. We did it once in March all the way up to Rainbow Bridge and saw less then 10 boats during the whole trip. Just don't get in the water.

Looks like I may be done for the season and will probably not run my boat until it comes back from FL, next spring.

On a side note I talked to Yeller yesterday and he was asking about Powell next year so I'll put up a post for a 2007 Powell trip and see what the interest level is.

DonCig
10-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Don, I never made it back up after Sept, just too much going on in Oct. :frown: Powell is pretty cool to run in the winter though since there's no one there. You can run for miles and miles without seeing anyone. We did it once in March all the way up to Rainbow Bridge and saw less then 10 boats during the whole trip. Just don't get in the water.
Looks like I may be done for the season and will probably not run my boat until it comes back from FL, next spring.
On a side note I talked to Yeller yesterday and he was asking about Powell next year so I'll put up a post for a 2007 Powell trip and see what the interest level is.

Rick, I know that Mark Horne and I can not wait to get back to Powell. I would like to schedule an event there in early June and not late June if possible. What are your thoughts?

Don

RickSE
10-30-2006, 11:19 AM
...What are your thoughts?
Don

I'm open to just about anything. I thought our weather was pretty nice when we were there in June. Yeller expressed some interest in a later date, Sept-Oct. I'll get a 07' thread going.