PDA

View Full Version : 496 exhaust

Cuda
08-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Can anyone give me a definetive answer if a regular bbc exhaust set up will fit on a 496? I've read and read and read, and there doesn't seem to be a concensus. Some say yes, others say no. It the bolts and ports line up, I don't see why they wouldn't work. Does anyone know if they use the same exhaust manifold gasket? If so, then it seems they would work. I heard you may have to fabricate some mounting brackets is the only difference.

smokediver
08-13-2006, 06:54 AM
Joe , maybe you could get your hands on a manifold gasket and see how it all lines up . probably could pick up the paper type at a parts store pretty cheap

undertaker
08-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Merc lists a seperate exhaust manifold for the 496.. NO idea what the difference is..
If ya need a set, Undertaker is going to have a set of take-off's shortly.. :D :D

:) :) :) :) :wink: :wink:

Anoymous:pimp:

PS Cuda will keep you in mind:) :) :)

LKSD
08-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Joe,
The exhaust ports are in the same location, the problem is the bolt hole sizes are different & the sensors needed on the manifolds or exhaust for the 496 applications are not present on the 454/502 stuff. So if you use the old BBC stuff on a 496 you have a lot of mods to do to try to get it to work right, eventhough you could get them to bolt onto the heads by altering the bolt holes.. The work involved may not outweigh the cost for the proper 496 set up... & Yes a little birdie told me Undertaker may have a take off set of 496 exhaust in cherry shape soon.... We shall see... :) Jamie / Lakeside

Cuda
08-13-2006, 10:26 AM
What the deal is, I'm looking at a Volvo 496 that's for sale at a good price. I've read the exhaust manifolds that come on them are quite restrictive, (not even as well flowing as the Merc 496 exhaust. I want to buy a set of Revolution, or Dana aluminum exhaust anyway that will fit my current 454. I might buy this engine and keep it on the side until I blow my 454, what I don't want to do is buy a set of exhaust for the 454, and find out they won't fit the 496.

LKSD
08-13-2006, 10:38 AM
If the volvo system you are looking at doesnt have the sensors in the exhaust then you could mod the 454/502 stuff to work on both the old & the new if sensors are not needed. The main thing to remember then would be exhaust riser outlet height & and drilling or bushing the mounting bolt holes accordingly to fit the 454/502 stuff or the 496 stuff accordingly.. If the sensors are not needed in the equation then it simplifies this mess a bit.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Cuda
08-13-2006, 11:04 AM
:) :) :) :) :wink: :wink:
Anoymous:pimp:
PS Cuda will keep you in mind:) :) :)
Aluminum exhaust?

undertaker
08-13-2006, 11:11 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: Cuda, was your question meant for me??

Cuda
08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: Cuda, was your question meant for me??
Yes, the Volvo's have the old Merc cast iron manifolds I think.

undertaker
08-13-2006, 11:28 AM
If & when I put the new CMI exhaust on:) :) :wink: I would have my original exhaust available from my 496 MAG HO which I think:confused: :confused: are not aluminum....

Undertaker (Mr. Exhaust):) :)

harbormaster
08-14-2006, 08:27 AM
I had factory 496 HO manifolds on my 502's. They bolted right up. I believe that they were made my GIL for Mercruiser. The are coated aluminum with stainless steel risers. The risers are cool, because you can strip off the powder coating and polish them up to a really nice shine.

Cuda
08-14-2006, 09:34 AM
I emailed Revolution exhaust and asked them this question:

Will the standard Rev exhaust fit on a Volvo 496?

Here's the response I just received from them:

YES THE MANIFOLDS WILL FIT BUT WE HAVE NO BRACKETS DEVELOPED YET.

ALLAN BROWN
08-14-2006, 11:56 AM
The bolts are metric on the Vortec head. We have the sensors figured out, but are still working on the oil filter/power steering bracket(s)