PDA

View Full Version : ok guys, how in the heck am i going to fix this so it matches correctly?

Moody Blu'
08-11-2006, 02:11 PM
last year you all know my boat fell off the blocks right after i got my mti trailer from dr dan(thanks again). I still feel pain form the day it happened and kind of altered my plans with moody blu I just feel it wont be original now because of this crack but at this point i may as well do what i have to.

so how can this be fixed and matched?

is the only way possible to paint my deck?(shrugs)

I purposely never compounded my boat so when i send out all my brass and metal parts for chroming i could compound and buff the boat (like tony did) and have a original gel coat shine, now with this problem in front of me I do not know where to turn or who to ask, all i know is i want it done preferably without painting the deck..

I also plan on filling/matching in those retarded cut outs under the motor hatch from the previous owner.

any leads or suggestions???

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/beerock69/me%20pics/boat/DSCF0095.jpg

boatnut
08-11-2006, 03:00 PM
I know we all play up the "original gel" on this forum and many of us do unnatural acts to keep it that way. However, in your situation, I would without hesitating a nanosecond get a GOOD painter to go with something like awlgrip or imron and paint everything above the waterline with paint to perfectly match what the original blue gelcoat looked like. That way you can properly repair the cracks and save countless dollars and hours trying to match all the gel work. You can of course re gel the entire boat but these two part paints are better above the waterline and you will not have the constant UV issues that all of us original gelcoat fanatics deal with. Many much more expensive boats than Donzi's come new with two-part epoxy painted topsides. Being you are stripping the entire boat (of deck parts etc.), the boat won't look "painted" if done by a professional----it will look like a brand new boat and it will keep looking that way. Ed

gcarter
08-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Broque, it's dificult from the foto the amount of damage to the deck (I'm assuming there's none to the hull). Why don't you describe it to us?
If you do insist on gel, take a look at this; https://www.minicraft.com/retail/donzimarine.htm
The last color, 1968-1975 "Barbado Blue" might be your color. Spraying gel is cheaper than paint, but a bit more work in finishing and upkeep.

I'm with Ed on the paint. A good paint job will never fade till it literally starts oxydizing away (years and years).

Bob
08-11-2006, 11:15 PM
A good shop can fix that pretty easy. For a reference point, check out www.americanboatrestoration.com. Look at some of the before and after shots. Dave did my Hornet and is a true master at refurbishing fiberglass and gelcoat. :yes:

LKSD
08-12-2006, 08:36 AM
You may want to think of us.. www.LakesideRestorations.com We are supporters of this site.. Maybe the other places should pony up for an ad here too, especially when they dont post any helpfull info here...

If you paint it I would not use an epoxy. I would recomend a high end base clear or Urethane like Donzi is using curently on many of their boats today. Otherwise I would recomend going with Gel. The paint can look at times slightly glossier or "wetter" than gel, but not always. Some of the new resins allow it to shine as nice as the paint with the additives available. Also there are gel additives that we use that have UV inhibitors in them that also add gloss.. The paint no doubt will look great & will allow for removal & polishing of very light scratches or scuffing. The Gel will allow for that as well, but will also allow for the removal of a bit deeper scratches, minor dock rash. The gel is also tougher than the Paint..

If you have an interest in us having a go with your boat feel free to give us a call.. :) Thanks Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

LKSD
08-12-2006, 08:39 AM
moody,
at the very least you are going to have to get the outside level with itself... reenforce it from the backside and fillet out the cracks and lay glass in there... then fair it all flat... then finish it with either paint or gelcoat... it is structrually damaged so you need to reenforce it otherwise the flex and what not will cause it to crack again if all you do is cover it up... same goes for any stress cracks in the gel if you decide to repair those...

Rootsy is right.. If you dont fix & reinforce the cracked areas it will definitley come back... So it's important its fixed properly, not just filled & shined.. :) Jamie

mrfixxall
08-12-2006, 10:11 AM
moody,make sure you repair it with polyester resin and not epoxy...epoxy wont stick for long and will fall apart....make sure you use a fiberglass roller to push the mat down..you dont waant to float the glass it will just brake again..

check out this webb site for proper glass repair they also sell product and equipment for fiberglassing http://www.lbifiberglass.com/

LKSD
08-12-2006, 11:12 AM
moody,make sure you repair it with polyester resin and not epoxy...epoxy wont stick for long and will fall apart....make sure you use a fiberglass roller to push the mat down..you dont waant to float the glass it will just brake again..
check out this webb site for proper glass repair they also sell product and equipment for fiberglassing http://www.lbifiberglass.com/

Actually you can use epoxy.. BUT you must post cure it to have the gel stick to it. Or you must do the exterior repair & then reinforce from the backside with epoxy & cloth. Then the bilge or under deck area can be painted..

Not that I wouldn't know or anything.. :yes: :yes: But over the last 10 years in business we have done more than a few gel, fiberglass, epoxy & wood repairs / restorations..

Jamie

Moody Blu'
08-12-2006, 11:28 AM
hey guy thanks alot really, gcarter that gel looks real promising!!!

I know i have to reinforce it thats a given and ive built a bunch of r/c gas boats stringers and all so fiberglassing is fun for me I feel like an artist when laying down that stuff ;) havent done it since i was like 16 but its like riding a bike hehehe.

jamie I really appreciate the offer, and if I ever did need someone to do it it would definately be a site sponsor that has the same passion in donzis as I. regardless if im an a.d.d. headcase but hey we come in all shapes and sizes.Any chance you could do a on site fix jamie?

I may give it a whirl and try fixing it with my buddy who is one of the best painters ive ever known and is a real close friend.(hes painted lots of lambos ferraris bentley's and even a bugatti eb something?) hes good. so its good to have him helping me out. but jamie if you could do a onsite fix i may decide to have a pro like you fix it instead of perhaps screwing it up, otherwise i will have to make a go at it.

I like paint, but i think it belongs on cars and to paint my entire deck for a crack and ruin the originality of my boat(regardless if it has a rediculed hood scoop)- which has made its way onto one of donzis most customized boats(shelby gt)
gel coat is just something that feels right to me on a boat I think some of you would agree

I dunno maybe its different for me, ive owned this boat since i was like 14ish and im 30 now. its very sentimental to me, especially since big grizzly has told me stories of the first owner so its path in life has been known from the begining. I just wish it never fell SIGH* but hey, it has its name for a reason.

its a moody bitch and this boat does talk back lol....(im not trippin scott p) ;p

ya gotta love it though

thanks for all the info

ack now back to recovering from this patron hangover

LKSD
08-12-2006, 12:18 PM
jamie I really appreciate the offer, and if I ever did need someone to do it it would definately be a site sponsor that has the same passion in donzi's as I. regardless if im an a.d.d. headcase but hey we come in all shapes and sizes.Any chance you could do a on site fix jamie?

Moody,
I dont really get into onsite repairs. I have all of my equipment, compressors etc... In my shop. In general mobile service is for something quick & easy, no matter if its mechanical or cosmetic. A much better job can be done at our facility. We could also control the environment (like temp & dust) better there. Most other reputable places usually feel the same too. All of that stuff goes into getting a better end result on that type of job. Jamie :)

Moody Blu'
08-15-2006, 12:03 AM
so where are all the photos of the ole girl with her top off?

heh, well i was going to pull it off on friday but got called by some girls and ended up going out thursday night and stayed in my house im renting on lbi for the weekend. I'm also still trying to figure out what type of contraption to build to lift my deck off with.

At first i was going to hang 2 2x4's off the side of my vans ladder racks and setup a pulley system off the ends of the 2x4's to lift the deck off. but im not sure the van is tall enough to clear the hull of the boat. so im back to the point of WHERE AM I LIFTING MY DECK OFF. everything is disconnected and needs to be lifted.

I just met a builder in the strangest way I went to dutchmans to meet my parents for dinenr and i saw this boat going under the bridge and pointed it out to my dad and said how it was a very rare donzi(1972 16 OB with a 200 merc) thought that would be the last time i saw it. i ended up going to get gas and the guy(chester) happened to be filling the baot up with gas on the trailer. I went over to him and started talking to him about it. turns out hes a builder and is building a house in loveladies( 10 bedroom right on the ocean about 10.5mil) that he needs prewired for multiroom audio/video. we ended up talking on the side of the gas station for like 4 hours and i have a new connection for my new business(lenardo design group) as well as a new friend. he said his motor had cut out on his boat and then fired right back up and mentioned it might be his tank because of the stock pick up and screen clogging up. so once i get this house done for him i may have a huge warehouse to perform my deck off in and then he will know how to replace his tank as well. so hopefully this new aquaintance(thanks to my love for donzis) will turn out to having a new donzi friend and also helping my new business get started .

the guy is like me(crazy), he has sunk the boat twice once because he was jumping AAACCKKK tugboat waves in it(submarined it after jumping it 5 times) 6th time there were 3 waves and landed on 2nd one and sub'd it. 2nd time was from a huge wave from a fishing boat right over the back YIKES!!

we will see soon!! im prewiring this week!

mrfixxall
08-15-2006, 10:53 AM
heh, well i was going to pull it off on friday but got called by some girls and ended up going out thursday night and stayed in my house im renting on lbi for the weekend. I'm also still trying to figure out what type of contraption to build to lift my deck off with.
At first i was going to hang 2 2x4's off the side of my vans ladder racks and setup a pulley system off the ends of the 2x4's to lift the deck off. but im not sure the van is tall enough to clear the hull of the boat. so im back to the point of WHERE AM I LIFTING MY DECK OFF. everything is disconnected and needs to be lifted.
I just met a builder in the strangest way I went to dutchmans to meet my parents for dinenr and i saw this boat going under the bridge and pointed it out to my dad and said how it was a very rare donzi(1972 16 OB with a 200 merc) thought that would be the last time i saw it. i ended up going to get gas and the guy(chester) happened to be filling the baot up with gas on the trailer. I went over to him and started talking to him about it. turns out hes a builder and is building a house in loveladies( 10 bedroom right on the ocean about 10.5mil) that he needs prewired for multiroom audio/video. we ended up talking on the side of the gas station for like 4 hours and i have a new connection for my new business(lenardo design group) as well as a new friend. he said his motor had cut out on his boat and then fired right back up and mentioned it might be his tank because of the stock pick up and screen clogging up. so once i get this house done for him i may have a huge warehouse to perform my deck off in and then he will know how to replace his tank as well. so hopefully this new aquaintance(thanks to my love for donzis) will turn out to having a new donzi friend and also helping my new business get started .
the guy is like me(crazy), he has sunk the boat twice once because he was jumping AAACCKKK tugboat waves in it(submarined it after jumping it 5 times) 6th time there were 3 waves and landed on 2nd one and sub'd it. 2nd time was from a huge wave from a fishing boat right over the back YIKES!!
we will see soon!! im prewiring this week!

moody save yourself the headache and all the $$$$$$ your going to spend on wood and the time building your contraption....hire a tow truck with a hydrolic boom to lift it off and set it aside the boat until your done then hire him again to put it back on...if anything brakes in the process his insurance will cover it....god luck

MD