PDA

View Full Version : Lost a wheel off trailer!! Wonderful....

Ryan23
08-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Took the boat out tonight for our first "solo" outing. Made it to the slip OK, about 20 miles from home. Of course, unbeknownst to me, they lock the gates at sunset. The "gate keepers" were kind enough to let us know that if we launched it, we would probably be locked in. So we got directions to another curfew-less slip...

On the way there we had to go through a two lane residential neighborhood (Thank God!!) and made a left turn. I was going maybe 15mph. I look in the drivers mirror and see a horrible sight. The rear wheel caves in from the bottom and SNAP! It took the taillight bar with it too. I immediately come to a stop whereas some redneck lets me know, "Hey Buddy! Looks like ya lost a wheel." "Really? No sh**?!" :rolleyes:

So I put the hazards on and inspected. The forward tire (Double axle Quickload) is doing OK, albeit a little extra loaded. We're not going very far at all but we have to get off this two lane road. Toss the wheel and light bar in the back of the truck. A buddy and my girlfriend walk behind the trailer as we creep along at idle. Had to cut two lefts and one right. It's groaning but I manage to make it off the road and stash it behind a well lit building. Talk to the owners of the establishment and they tell me it's cool to leave it there overnight. I then ran out to a conveniance store and picked up a padlock for the hitch. I also attached a note to the hitch prophesizing all kinds of ill doom & gloom if anyone attemts to move this boat.

Not sure what happened. All four wheel bearings were recently replaced by the previous owner. The castle nut/cotter pin was still on the axle. The axle itself *looks* OK but I'll have to wipe it down with some solvent to be sure. I hope to hell I can locate a set of (FOUR!) bearings (and whatever else I need) tomorrow to get her back mobile. What a frigging night...

Ryan

On the brightside, at least it didn't happen on the freeway @ 60mph! :eek:

Jamesbon
08-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Sorry to hear of your woes. Glad it wasn't worse than it could have been....that's why I like a tandem no matter the size of boat. With that said, we sell a $hitload of Quickload trailers and have great results with them.

I lost a wheel on my Towmaster trailer under the Concept 30, too....fortunately, it was still attached, but wobbling like a spaceship out of control on the "chewed up" axle. Those wheel bearings take allot of abuse, in and out of the water, miles up and down the road and sitting for long periods of time. I try to "pump'em" full of grease at least every five or six dunks in the old saltwater down here. I have a 1986 EZ Loader galvinized trailer that sat and still sits under my GT. I've never had a bearing failure (knock on wood) probably due to the easy to use "Bearing Buddies."

Ellicott City, huh? Small world, I grew up in Damascus and bought my first Donzi in Silver Spring. Where do you boat at? My favorite places were the warm side of Lake Anna VA, the river near Hagerstown MD, Baltimore Inner Harbor and Sandy Point State Park. (Red Eyes Dock Bar....phew...glad those long Sundays are in the past...that place had a propensity of making one "sideways.")

Best of luck with your trailer....

Digger
08-10-2006, 06:13 AM
holy heart failure batman. Glad you were able to escape a worse scenario... whew!

Ryan23
08-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Back on the road...

Went to a trailer shop this morning with my nomadic wheel/hub assembly. Asked them if they had "One of these" to which they did. Bought four new hub assemblies with bearings and the associated hardware ($52 each). Picked up some marine grade grease and drove out to the VFW building where the boat was stashed. Fortunately it was still there and untouched (PHEW!!). Pulled the remnants of the bearing out and cleaned up the axle with some solvent. What remained of the bearing scarred the axle on it's way off....greeeeaaaaatttttt. However, the sections were the races sat looked OK. Buttoned everything up in about 15 minutes. I jacked up the other three wheels and wiggled them. They seemed OK.

Not sure what went wrong. Maybe all the left/right turns down side streets side loaded the bearings to the point where they failed. Obviously they weren't 100% to begin with but maybe that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Took it easy and dropped the boat/trailer off at the same shop. They're going to replace the axle, inspect the other one (& all hubs) and upgrade me to disc brakes on one axle. It might take up to a week to get it back. I guess I won't be needing all three of those hubs. Maybe I'll just hang onto one for good measure.

ALL THIS FUN AND I STILL HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO GET THIS THING WET YET!!:shocking: :mad:

Pics for the morbidly curious:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scoobywrx/donzi/hub1.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scoobywrx/donzi/hub2.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scoobywrx/donzi/hub3.jpg

olredalert
08-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Ryan,,,,Welcome to my world!!! Been out twice in my Corsican this summer---broke twice. At least the trailer hasnt puked yet..........Bill S