PDA

View Full Version : Carl C's Excellent Adventure

Carl C
08-09-2006, 06:34 PM
:yippie: I got on Lake St. Clair today! This was my first time ever on a big lake.:yippie: What a blast; I'm hooked.:yippie: I put in at Metro Beach and I got in free because it was "Patron Appreciation Day".:yippie: Is that a good omen or what.:wink: I was intimadated at first and recorded my GPS position in case I got lost but before I knew it I learned a few landmarks and was flying around like an old pro.:yippie: I went down the Detroit River to the Ambassador Bridge and back twice.:yippie: And to the light house near the center of the shipping channel to swim and watch the ships go by.:yippie: Then I went North a ways including a stop a Land's End Marina for a fill-up; $120 at $3.70 a gallon.:cussball: This was my first time fueling on the water and I looked like an old pro.:yippie: I saw a lot of nice go-fasts at the docks but none running.:( The day was perfect and the water just right with a 1 - 2 foot chop but some rough patches for plenty of air.:yippie: My boat will run 70 mph all day!:yippie: If anyone would like to hook up on Lake St. Clair on a Mon to Thur send me a pm and I'm in.:yes: I don't think my boat could handle this lake on a busy week-end.:confused: Just a few more observations: Big boats make big waves. Huge rollers can appear out of nowhere - be ready. I burn a lot more gas when I have someplace to go. Wear a life vest out there. I could pee of the side of the boat and no-one could see!:yippie: :yippie:

gold-n-rod
08-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Sounds way cool, Carl!

It's not too late for you to find someone to run the store Sunday after noon. Bring your boat up to Frankfort, stay Sunday night in my empty lot and run the better Great Lake (Michigan) with Tony and Cherrie on Monday.

You sound stoked. Great job.

boldts
08-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Weekends on St.Clair aren't that bad. LOL You just got to know when to head for the local hangout called Gull Island and relax until she lays down again in the late afternoon. Now, if your riding with the Tripster, you might come back with a couple bruises, but hey, your in a Donzi. It's worth it! :) Glad you had a good time Carl. It is a great boating site and being able to go North to Lake Michigan and South to Detroit is very cool indeed.

goatee
08-09-2006, 08:28 PM
hey carl, glad you had fun...you sound like an eight year old with a new toy.
but i dont blame you...lots of cool places to go in these parts.
whether you want to party hard, or sit in peace and quite.
i had the privalige of growing up there.

gcarter
08-09-2006, 08:43 PM
....:yippie:

Sam
08-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Glad to hear you had a good time and didn't hit any sand bars...........that's a very good thing :wink:. Just a quick historical fact, the light house in the pic you posted was commissioned by Abraham Lincoln himself.

I'm glad you had a chance to get out and see some of the lake. It's a big lake and the weekends can get a little crazy but I can usulay find decent water. You just have to know where to look :bonk: .

Carl C
08-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Glad to hear you didn't hit any sand bars...........SAND BARS?:eek!: Actually I used my charts a lot and mainly stayed away from the shore and from Anchor Bay and your area at Harsen's Island. There's a huge area on the Canadian side that I have yet to explore though. Glad you saw this and, yes, I had a great time. Call me when you can get out on a week-day. I can meet you at your place or whereever.:boat:

olredalert
08-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Carl,,,I dont think you have seen the best there is to offer out here until you have explored the islands (Harsens, etc.). Ill try to get hold of you next week and we will go out and play............Bill S

Carl C
08-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Carl,,,I dont think you have seen the best there is to offer out here until you have explored the islands (Harsens, etc.). Ill try to get hold of you next week and we will go out and play............Bill S
Sounds awesome. I know there is a lot of 'sploring to do out there but didn't want to cram too much into one day. I may be out of town Mon and Tue. If I don't make gold-n-rod's gig Sunday then I plan to take the boat to my cabin near Oscoda and get out on Lake Huron. PM me here or call me: home-248-673-8105 or cell-248-330-0048. If I'm around, count me in! :)