PDA

View Full Version : HOT, overheating, HOT

TBroccoli
08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
This weekend while tubing with the kids I noticed my temp getting to around 185. I usually stay around 165. Once I came off idle the temp went back down. we anchored for a while then headed home. After about 3 minutes of cruising my high temp alarm sounded and the temp shot to over 200. I shut down immediately.

I put the earmuffs on in the driveway and started it up. I could not get any water flow.

What should I check first? I figure my impeller is shot. Was it the cause or part of the result? Could it be clogged risers? Help. Thanks, Tom

ospreyproduction
08-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Change your sea water pump. May as well change out the whole assembly. When they go....they go.

By the way, you need to make sure that you get all of the "old impeller pieces" out of your cooling system. Count the impeller blades and make sure you have all of them. You don't want a full blade in there blocking a cooling route.

mrfixxall
08-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Impellers are like tires they just ware out...i replace mine every 50-75 hr of use...

TBroccoli
08-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Changed out sea water pump. All eight impeller blades were detached but in the housing. I back flushed the system anyway. New pump works well. I ran the engine on the muffs for over a half hour and temp stayed constant.

Thanks for the advise.

thescooter
08-14-2006, 09:32 PM
i make it a habit to change my impeller every spiring, here in the north east that is every april or may. i have never had a problem. the scooter