PDA

View Full Version : V6 to V8 Sweet 16

Newby
08-08-2006, 07:58 PM
A few weeks ago, I thought I saw a discussion or reference to another thread which dealt with the front motor mount measurement/changes to swap a 4.3L to a 5.7L. Does anyone have the reference or any photos? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.

CrackerJack
08-09-2006, 04:02 PM
We took the old V6 motor mounts out. Then we installed just the engine block with the brackets on and marked where the new motor mounts would need to be. We did not take any measurements, since we didn't plan on doing it again.:smash::smash:

Newby
08-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks to you both. It may have been a post from Wayne that referred to measurement. Setting the block in and marking the placement of the mounts sounds good too.

smokediver
08-09-2006, 09:02 PM
The bolts in the front become the bolts on the rear . just remove the mounts and move the mount so that the front bolts are now the rear and drill 2 new holes for the front . That's how it worked for me . also , get a bravo coupler as it doesn't have that little shaft coming off of it . that will allow you to put the engine in without stripping anything off the front . you have to remove the manifolds , set the motor in facing to starboard , and then rotate it into place . the V8 is a little narrower but about 4 inches longer . it is also a little taller .

Newby
08-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the response. About how much taller do you think the V8 is?

onesubdrvr
08-10-2006, 07:23 AM
haven't been around much lately,...

mine was a little different, my mounts were mounted to some heavy duty 4" aluminum L brackets that were actually mounted to the stringer. I had to move the brackets forward on the stringers, as I didn't have room to move the motor mounts on the bragker (I forgot how much now). I have heard a couple of times now that the old front becomes the new rear hole solution, and as long as you can move the mount forward enough, BAM!! Done!!

Newby, Best of luck, and give me a call some-time, I'd love to see your project, I'm hoping to have mine up here from Miami in a couple of weeks.

Wayne

Speed-Racer
08-10-2006, 06:54 PM
If you can put the bare block in first or even the whole engine, DO IT! It's probably the only "for sure" way to know exactly where the mounts will need to be...

Unless you work at a factory and get ahold of the "engine mount jig"

Newby
08-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks Onesub, I'll get back to you with an update. The project is probably going to be slow to get started, so it may be a while. Speed-Racer, a jig is out of the question, but the suggestion of putting the engine in is a good one. I will let you know.

86fxst
08-11-2006, 09:57 AM
A few weeks ago, I thought I saw a discussion or reference to another thread which dealt with the front motor mount measurement/changes to swap a 4.3L to a 5.7L. Does anyone have the reference or any photos? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached is a picture of my boat's '04 repower from a 4.3. I didnt own the boat when this was done. bjh517 had the work done. you might email him for the particulars. you also may wish to reference his old threads. He may make mention of the repower there.