PDA

View Full Version : Alpha one performance upgrades

d1mbu1b
08-08-2006, 01:28 PM
With the huge number of alpha one outdrives out there I would think there would be a better after market for performance upgrades.

So far I have found the following (which isn't much):
1) drive shower - this is the only given
2) replace with alpha SS - if you can find one
3) retrofit a merc 2.5 cle lower - has anyone actually done this?
4) spyder lower - does this even exist?

Does there exist a HD gear set for alpha one gen 1?
Does anybody know of any manufacturer that produces performance lowers for alpha?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Budmann
08-08-2006, 02:02 PM
d1 I have a cle lower on my alpha one and it is great!!! knock on wood I have never done anything to it but new oil.
I cgange the oil in the unit at least once a month. Not sure if that is overkill but better safe than STUCK!!!:boggled: :boggled: :boggled: :boggled:

Bud

Budmann
08-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Hey Root... I have had 4 different mech. tell me that I have a cle lower. Is that not the truth?? How do you tell?? Is it something I can view easily, or do you need to remove it.

Bud

Cuda
08-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Buddy, are you sure it's not a Bob's nose cone with the CLE? All the CLE means is Crescent Leading Edge. I have one on my alpha that came off the F20. They did a crappy job of putting it on. I might just knock it off of there and clean up the lower. I've heard the CLE makes no difference at all under 70 mph.

Budmann
08-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Root no It doesn't. Cuda now I understand what cle means. Yes, I have a Bob's nose cone soooo I guess that would splain my confusion.

Thanks guys for schooling me.

I sooo stupid!!!:boggled: :boggled: :boggled: :boggled: :boggled: :boggled:

d1mbu1b
08-09-2006, 10:09 AM
So, is the concensus that, the Merc 2.5 outboard CLE lower unit will
only bolt up to an Alpha SS upper?

Can any of the merc outboard lowers be retrofitted to the alpha one gen one upper with or without modifications?

It sounds like, if one chooses to keep the alpha for 70+ operation one should
invest in a Bob's nosecone, HD gears, drive shower, no hole shots, no sudden stops, and no going airborne.

Not a whole lot of options, are there?

Ranman
08-09-2006, 12:27 PM

Sure there is... It's called a Bravo One :wink: .

Budmann
08-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Whatever Ranman:):):) I love my little alpha.

Cuda
08-09-2006, 06:37 PM
It sounds like, if one chooses to keep the alpha for 70+ operation one should
invest in a Bob's nosecone, HD gears, drive shower, no hole shots, no sudden stops, and no going airborne.
Add synthetic oil, and I think you're good to go.

I myself never understood a need for a resevoir. If it's using oil from the resevoir, it has a leak. I guess it would be good for an indicator of a leak, if you always keep an eye on it.

Cuda
08-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Sure there is... It's called a Bravo One :wink: .
Alpha will be faster with less weight, and less parasitic drag, unless it breaks. :)

BERTRAM BOY
08-10-2006, 08:52 AM
If you are gong to use an outboard CLE, you'll have to drill an oil passage and counterbore for an o-ring so the drive oil can get to the upper.

kd5cue
08-10-2006, 09:10 AM
If you are gong to use an outboard CLE, you'll have to drill an oil passage and counterbore for an o-ring so the drive oil can get to the upper.
what hp can alpha 1 handle safley?

BERTRAM BOY
08-10-2006, 09:56 AM
what hp can alpha 1 handle safley?

I've alway used 300 h.p. for a rule of thumb. However, Sam Pilato and Doug Lovins I believe are running well in access of 400 h.p. (Rootsy, a little help here).

MOP
08-10-2006, 12:35 PM
A Blackhawk is a much stronger option and faster then the SS, also note lately they can be bought cheaper.

Budmann
08-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Lets all not forget that another "Must" is always coming out of the hole........S L O W!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had a Alpha for 20 years and with the exception of changing oil to often I have never had a problem. I presently am putting around 375 H.P. and she runs great. I did however put a shower on it last month, but has never given me a problen this whole time.

Bud

MOP
08-11-2006, 07:20 AM
I still think you guys are hanging onto a dying weaker drive keeping the SS thing going, none of you seem to add the stability of the BH into the equation. A BH will not chine walk like all single prop drives, it also will corner equally in both directions eliminating the roll up a single prop has. Look at Steve Mars 18, handling is supurb it rides on rails and handles like a Farrari. You need close to 400hp to get an SS equiped 16-18 to the high 70's, Steve does 77 with a dead stock 300hp Merc! To me the BH is a no brainer your chances of blowing a BH compared to the SS is probably 5 to 1, it is faster and way more stable at all speeds. If and when I can scrape up the 3K for Arneson planes you can bet my BH would be back on my 22 instead of hanging in my garage. I sorely miss the handling at speed and in tight windy places, though it limits my speed on the 22 I will slap it back on this season just for the pure joy of it.

Phil

Ooops! I almost forgot -0- steering torque that is a biggy in anyones book!

Cuda
08-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Seems to me that a Blackhawk would be the epitomy of a dying drive. They aren't making them, or making props for them anymore either.

BERTRAM BOY
08-11-2006, 08:08 AM
I still think you guys are hanging onto a dying weaker drive keeping the SS thing going, none of you seem to add the stability of the BH into the equation. A BH will not chine walk like all single prop drives, it also will corner equally in both directions eliminating the roll up a single prop has. Look at Steve Mars 18, handling is supurb it rides on rails and handles like a Farrari. You need close to 400hp to get an SS equiped 16-18 to the high 70's, Steve does 77 with a dead stock 300hp Merc! To me the BH is a no brainer your chances of blowing a BH compared to the SS is probably 5 to 1, it is faster and way more stable at all speeds. If and when I can scrape up the 3K for Arneson planes you can bet my BH would be back on my 22 instead of hanging in my garage. I sorely miss the handling at speed and in tight windy places, though it limits my speed on the 22 I will slap it back on this season just for the pure joy of it.

Phil

Ooops! I almost forgot -0- steering torque that is a biggy in anyones book!

Phil,
The reason Stevie's drive works so well is that the transom has been rebuilt and the X dimension has been raised about 6 inches. Most guys that are running an Alpha SS I'm assuming DON'T want to rebuild their transom.

Coldwater, I believe you are correct, most Alpha outdrives have a 1.5:1 gear ratio while some outboards have a 2.00:1 ratio.

MOP
08-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Listening to all the jiberish I could not resist, I have a run on sunday 40+ miles one way with friends. The 6 of us will slug along with yup you guessed it the BH is on, almost can't wait wish I was not so busy tomorrow but will have a great day sunday!!!

Phil

Woodsy
08-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Steve spent alot of $$$ redoing his X-18... it wasn't just a simple bolt on and go.

The Alpha SS is a great drive and can take some punishment behind a light boat. It, like the BH is no longer produced and some parts are getting scarce. The problem with ALL sterndrives are the two 90 degree transfers of power/energy. The upper case is the weak link in the chain. Too much torque and you twist the aluminum case... instant earth shattering ka-boom!

Woodsy

Cuda
08-14-2006, 09:28 AM
The problem with ALL sterndrives are the two 90 degree transfers of power/energy.
Woodsy
This is how you eliminate the two 90 degree transfers of power. :)

MOP
08-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Steve spent alot of $$$ redoing his X-18... it wasn't just a simple bolt on and go.
The Alpha SS is a great drive and can take some punishment behind a light boat. It, like the BH is no longer produced and some parts are getting scarce. The problem with ALL sterndrives are the two 90 degree transfers of power/energy. The upper case is the weak link in the chain. Too much torque and you twist the aluminum case... instant earth shattering ka-boom!
Woodsy

Got a good point with parts becoming scarce, I believe a little more so for the SS! All the more reason to go with the Blackhawk, most of the internals except for the case and vertical shaft are Bravo. The BH has the gear case above the bottom giving much less resistace going through the water unlike the SS which relies on a hydrodynamic gear case. A BH on a 16 or 18 will live a very long time compared to an SS, dollar for dollar a much better deal.

Now my weekend report! Cut down the distance as the wind was up and the bays were sloppy, did a little back windy creek running which was great. Bonnie and I both loved looking back and seeing the rooster tail, I need to hunt up a cheap set of A planes.

Phil

MOP
08-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Jamie my 22 needs plates, the 16-18's no way in fact the 16 with its natural bow lift would be a natural for a BH. I have seen how Steves boat gets out of the hole and how it runs, no way can you get an 18 to 77mph with a dead stock 300 unless you go the Geo route. I would love to see someome do a 16/BH at the correct X, I bet it would be in the 80's with a dead stock 300.

Jimmy Norman
08-14-2006, 06:10 PM
This is how you eliminate the two 90 degree transfers of power. :)

Beautiful! But I want a single engine setup with counter-rotating props for handling & efficiency. Does anybody make such an animal? BTW, who made the drives in the photo & just how bad would a single engine setup be? Thanks

Cuda
08-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Beautiful! But I want a single engine setup with counter-rotating props for handling & efficiency. Does anybody make such an animal? BTW, who made the drives in the photo & just how bad would a single engine setup be? Thanks
These are Kaama drives, which are no longer made. The good thing is I hear all the internal parts are available over the counter, gears, bushings, bearings, etc. The only thing you can't buy is the case. Very similar to Arneson drives.

MOP
08-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Steve is only up 3-1/2" not 6! Not sure where the 6" came from but what ever. The 16 and 18 have the same engine height and hatch clearance I know a 3" bumped up hatch like Steves sure would not bother me!

A little more reading below!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38407&highlight=blackhawk
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37065&highlight=blackhawk

MOP
08-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Boy Matty I really though you knew the 16 much better, the slight hook is between the chine and the first strake. The hook at higher speeds it has no bearing it is out of the water that has been discussed and verified many times, reducing the inner strake length lets the stern sink a little deeper which reduces stern lift and helps to lift the bow. The inherent bow lift of a 16 at mid range needs to be tamed with tabs, a few die hards fight the tab issue but all that have installed them praise the move. Not to mention chine walk a BH produces -0- chine walk -0- steering torque, also no clutch dogs plus the reliabilty of Bravo gears and cone shifting that and a dead stock engine, it would surely be a very fast and a very hard toy to break! Back to my initial statement "A No Brainer" especialy for guys that can only afford to drop just so many $$$ and not have to worry!

Phil

Budmann
08-16-2006, 02:15 PM
How come no one brought the "PORPOISING" that is out of control!!!! According to Mike Collins (President of Donzi) they couldn't give those boats away. Check and see how many they actually made.

I have had two friends with Black Hawks and they hated having to run on the trim tabs.
Also, they BOTH said the boat was impossible to drive at high speeds.

Bud

Woodsy
08-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Budmann...

Those factory BH editions porpoised because of all of the rocker the factory built into that hull. Standard run of the mill 22 Classics don't have that rocker. I think that boat would run alot better (no porpoise) if the rocker was reduced a bit.

MOP...

Your a bit off base. The BH approx $1500 or so requires you to buy a Bravo 1 transom assy for about $2500, get a special set of props for another $1000 or so, and completely dissassemble your drive package. The Alpha SS requires no modification and will bolt right up to an existing Alpha setup with little or no modifications. If cost is the issue the SS is the cheaper alternative.

Woodsy

Budmann
08-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Wood, side by side my boat has the same hook,(roocker) as the B.H. I built many 22's and as they are my favorite boat, they "all' have rockers in them. If you pay attention to a wide open 496 h.o. you will see that the boat rides very high in front. From what I have been told the B.H. is to high (x) and doesn't create enough drag to keep the boat in the water.

please understand... I think the blackhawk is cool, but you could never sell me one! I like the control of a normal outdrive.

Also... remember Ted and his 90 plus mph boat at the earlier Rallies. There is a reason he built a 700 h.p. 22 and put a ssm on it. Money was no object, and he choose a single prop outdrive. If the bh was better, he would have used it.

Remember he works at Spectre Race boats!!

If they were so fast, wouldn't the mercury race team run them????

younger
08-23-2006, 08:56 PM
I've been running 1.32hd gears and bearings behind 4oo+ hp sbc for years. they have been very durable. Usually spinning 5500 rpm or more. Giving me the ability to run lower pitched props offering less stress to my drive.