PDA

View Full Version : Originally had twin BBC's???

Ryan23
08-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Going off a rumor a heard from the previous owner. He thought that maybe the but originally had twin Big Blocks in it. Noticed a few oddities, maybe some of you can either affirm or debunk the possibility.

The boat has Holman-Moody bellhousing ---> drive adapters. Spoke with Lee Holman this morning, the drive package shouldn't have had just the HM adapters. Why are they there? Even if a motor crapped out or an outdrive went south, why would you change the adapter in the process (and on both sides to boot)? Maybe if you originally had BBC's and dropped down to twin SBC's?? (I know, I'm reaching...)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scoobywrx/donzi/new11.jpg

Transom holes. They are four filled holes where the original through-the-transom exhaust exited. They are located a bit higher than the current holes Why the change?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scoobywrx/donzi/new14.jpg

Motor mounts. There are an extra pair of motor mount holes located further toward the centerline. Here's a couple pics.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scoobywrx/donzi/new12.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scoobywrx/donzi/new13.jpg

I know Donzi would do just about anything a customer wanted provided they could pay for it. However, is there even room for a pair of BBC's in here? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

olredalert
08-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Ryan,
------Sonic bought at least some of the 24 molds. Unfortunatly I think they may have all been cut up by now. I have pictures and a magazine article of the very first Sonic "Super Sport 24" and its powered by twin 454s. Drives were "Marine Power Systems" units according to the article and had power-trim. There wasnt much room but apparently enough. The boat was mis-propped the day of this test and was running somewhere just north of 60 but Jim Martenhoff the guy who wrote the article felt it could have had an 80mph payday propped correctly. A good friend of mine in Ft. Lauderdale was the first owner of this Sonic and the second owners got it all shot up on the way back from the Bahamas. Use your imagination as to why. My pal then bought it back and fixed it as he owned a Corvette shop (fiberglass repair). He said he decided to get a bigger boat and sold it never to see it again.
------I cant post the article but I could snail-mail you a copy. It would be interesting to see how a different company rigged the exact same hull and deck as your boat as there are some good pics. I think you will like what they did on the forward deck. Article even mentions the deck non-skid pattern. E-mail me your address and Ill get it off to you.........Bill S

Ryan23
08-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Ryan,
------Sonic bought at least some of the 24 molds. Unfortunatly I think they may have all been cut up by now. I have pictures and a magazine article of the very first Sonic "Super Sport 24" and its powered by twin 454s. Drives were "Marine Power Systems" units according to the article and had power-trim. There wasnt much room but apparently enough. The boat was mis-propped the day of this test and was running somewhere just north of 60 but Jim Martenhoff the guy who wrote the article felt it could have had an 80mph payday propped correctly. A good friend of mine in Ft. Lauderdale was the first owner of this Sonic and the second owners got it all shot up on the way back from the Bahamas. Use your imagination as to why. My pal then bought it back and fixed it as he owned a Corvette shop (fiberglass repair). He said he decided to get a bigger boat and sold it never to see it again.
------I cant post the article but I could snail-mail you a copy. It would be interesting to see how a different company rigged the exact same hull and deck as your boat as there are some good pics. I think you will like what they did on the forward deck. Article even mentions the deck non-skid pattern. E-mail me your address and Ill get it off to you.........Bill S

Looking forward to seeing the article, thanks Bill!

Started stripping the transom and found orange paint. I didn't stumble across any while doing the sides. I'm guessing the paint was used to cover the holes in the transom, which would date it prior to 81'. Any ideas what the four holes on each side would have been for? These pics give a better idea where the original exhaust was too:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scoobywrx/donzi/new15.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scoobywrx/donzi/new16.jpg

mrfixxall
08-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Knowing holman and moody their were probably a pair of ford 351 cleveland motors in the boat.
theirs no way a pair of bbc would fit because of how tight the exhaust manifolds are together..
to fit a pair of bbc in that boat their would have th be a staggared configuration to get the exhaust to fit through the transm...

mrfixxall
08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Also,if the boat had a pair of center riser style exhaust manifolds that would have put the exhaust higher on the transm..If the boat had bbc in it the exhaust holes would be approx 3-4" wider then a sbc..
The holes in the stringers were probably from the old ford motors that were in the boat..

Did chris give the clever props for the boat?

mrfixxall
08-08-2006, 03:57 PM
I would have said windsors I would think the cleveland heads might be an issue where the 2 motors butt up to each other, but I think Mrfix is right no BB would fit in there, plus the ford doesn't use the intermediate housing you showed in the pics,
are there 4 holes for exhaust or are there 2???
the 4 holes could be
external steering installation mistake
fuel seperators
sea strainers
who knows
looking good ryan

matty,i think the four holes are from the internal steering cable bracket..on my x it looks like the same bolt pattern..

half fast
08-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Mr.Fixxall ,I don't know you and I never owned any cleavers for that boat.Either you have me confused or your props confused with the round eared props or Choppers that were included in the sale. hf...

LKSD
08-09-2006, 08:47 AM
On a different note, It looks like you ran into the reasons I thought it was painted.. Are you going to regel or repaint?? Just curious.. J

Ryan23
08-09-2006, 10:52 AM
On a different note, It looks like you ran into the reasons I thought it was painted.. Are you going to regel or repaint?? Just curious.. J

I don't think it was painted because of the transom. I found orange paint which was originally used to cover up the holes underneath the black paint. No big surprises here, I knew I would have to deal with the old exhaust holes in some fashion.

Rather than re-gel the whole boat, especially considering how great the sides look, I'm going to patch over the holes with the patch gel I got from Mini-craft. It looks to be a pretty good match!

matty,i think the four holes are from the internal steering cable bracket..on my x it looks like the same bolt pattern..

Assuming it was the same setup as yours, are you saying the boat had cable operated steering vs the current hydraulic setup?

Thanks,

Ryan

mrfixxall
08-09-2006, 12:29 PM
I don't think it was painted because of the transom. I found orange paint which was originally used to cover up the holes underneath the black paint. No big surprises here, I knew I would have to deal with the old exhaust holes in some fashion.
Rather than re-gel the whole boat, especially considering how great the sides look, I'm going to patch over the holes with the patch gel I got from Mini-craft. It looks to be a pretty good match!
Assuming it was the same setup as yours, are you saying the boat had cable operated steering vs the current hydraulic setup?
Thanks,
Ryan

Correct, the steering on the boat now was not oe it had cable steering im sure..

Also if you want to free up some horse power change those log style manifolds to a center riser style...i use to have a set of glenwood which are the same as the edlbroch you have and switched them to emi....what a differance...

it will also fix the interferance with the steering cylinder that goes over the exhaust tip and may line up with the old holes ..