PDA

View Full Version : trs outdrives

tiger lily
08-07-2006, 09:02 PM
some questions about trs's

are they the same cutout as bravos, how durable are they, are they a decent performance drive, whats everyone know and think about them, ive been looking at some magnums 27 sports, i really want one, and when i my truck is payed off im either going to get one of them, or a superboat i think, my two choices, but im trying to learn everything i can about them and there components, so whatever expeirnces you have had with trs drives could you please chime in, thanks

matt

Cuda
08-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Love mine.

Pismo
08-08-2006, 02:07 PM
They are a unique cutout, not the same as the alpha or bravo. They are very durable, more than a bravo or alpha. They are slightly more hydrodynamic than a bravo. They require an external tranny behind the engine like a Velvet drive which is another thing you have to worry about but really no big deal, esp if a Velvet Drive which will run for 50 years with no trouble as long as you dont put huge hp into it. The tranny also pushes the engine forward a foot. It will shift infinitely better and nicer than either an alpha or bravo. TRS Last made in 1993 so replacement parts getting scarce but still around. Konrad makes a very solid bolt on replacement drive using the TRS tansom assembly if ever needed. Swap to a bravo requires glass work, fill transom hole, recut to alpha/bravo hole, etc. Lots of work. Great unit, dont let it hold you up.

mrfixxall
08-08-2006, 03:05 PM
some questions about trs's
are they the same cutout as bravos, how durable are they, are they a decent performance drive, whats everyone know and think about them, ive been looking at some magnums 27 sports, i really want one, and when i my truck is payed off im either going to get one of them, or a superboat i think, my two choices, but im trying to learn everything i can about them and there components, so whatever expeirnces you have had with trs drives could you please chime in, thanks
matt

If your thinking about putting one in your 18 i would stick with a bravo because of the weight and parts are getting scarse..

Pismo
08-08-2006, 03:35 PM
I agree, I would not put a TRS in an 18. Best in a bigger, heavy, fast boat.

mrfixxall
08-08-2006, 03:51 PM
tiger,i know ware theirs a 27 sport sitting with twin volvos and chevy 350s in it..I believe its a 1972

boldts
08-08-2006, 04:51 PM
I knew a guy who had an 18 Classic with the TRS and small block Chevy in it. It was amazing how just the little more weight moved further forward made the boat handle. Obviously though it also had more weight in the transom because of the transmission. Poddle has a TRS in his X-18 and the boat runs like it is on rails as I remember at Eufaula a few years back. The same guy that had the Classic earlier in his childhood, his father bought an 18 Classic barrelback with a v-drive and a big block Ford in it. Mr. Aronow himself told his father that the boys couldn't break the boat. They then proceeded to seperate the stringers from the hull. Keeping his word, Mr. Aronow replaced the barrelback that had broke with a brand new one. Just a different engine and set-up this time. Long story short, those of you who have a side-oiler in a v-drive barrelback really have a Classic that is very rare and not offered to the public for a very long time.

TRS drives were the standard in offshore racing for a long time before Mercruiser came out with newer, more hydro shaped drives like are being run today. Parts are getting scarce, but remember, its a Merc product of which many more were built compared to say an OMC King Cobra.

Cuda
08-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I believe Audiofn has a BBC 18 with a Trs. If it already has a Trs, keep it.

Cuda
08-08-2006, 05:34 PM
If your thinking about putting one in your 18 i would stick with a bravo because of the weight and parts are getting scarse..
All the talk about parts being scarce, I've yet to hear of anyone having to throw one away because they couldn't get parts.

tiger lily
08-08-2006, 08:49 PM
thanks for all the info and replys, i didnt know they had transmissions, almost like a speedmaster drive than, in no way would i do this to my 18, im actually going to try and get it back to as original as possible because of the history it has behind it, i brought up the trs drives because alot of the magnums im looking into have them or volvo's i know the volvos are good drives, but i dont know if i want them or not, i might lean towards a boat with TRS drives, being that they have transmissions in them, i wonder how a ASD drive would work on those boats??? another of topic thought is, i have a poster with a 70's early 80s boat i think, not sure what kind of hull but it looks to be donzi/magnum, maybe cigarette, but it has the volvo drives with the speedmasters on them, i wonder how the edrives would work on a magnum sport, uhmmmmmmmm questions questions like always..

big bore
08-08-2006, 09:15 PM
what year is our donzi. i have what i beleave to be a 275t volvo that has power trim not just tilt of a 73 20 cig. that iam going to redo

tiger lily
08-08-2006, 09:25 PM
what year is our donzi. i have what i beleave to be a 275t volvo that has power trim not just tilt of a 73 20 cig. that iam going to redo

mine is a 78, unsure of exactly what model drive i have.