PDA

View Full Version : new parts coming

Donziweasel
08-07-2006, 02:48 PM
From the input from ROOTSY and from everyone else, I ordered a new Comp Cam, Edelbrock EPS intake, Edebrock 600 cfm carb, and Vortec Heads. Now that I feel I am on the right track, what should be the max RPM's for my 5.7L once it is set up? Hoping to be in the 300-315 hp range, but of course that will be less at 6000 ft here in Jackson. 250-260 hp at this elevation is more realistic, but better than the 200 hp I have now.

Also, if I pull the engine to make the mods (no, I am not going to cut a hole to get the cam out), do I need to re-align it or simply put it back in?

MOP
08-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Any time you pull the drive or engine it is a good practice to check the alignment, it will stay very close if you leave mounts in tact on the engine just remove the base bolts.

Donziweasel
08-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Ordered an alignment tool. Here is the rundown-

Comp Cam 264
Edelbrock Preformer EPS Intake Manifold 0-5500 rpm
Edelbrock 600 CFM Marine 4 barrel
Vortec High lift heads

Thanks everyone for the help on the parts.

Hoping for 300+ horsepower. Engine comes out monday. Never taken one out, so if you have any last minute advice, let me know.

Hoping for a 60 mph+ 16 classic

If anyone needs a set of 1997 Mercruiser 5.7L original heads, intake or 2 barrel carb, let me know

Donziweasel
08-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Not to sound stupid, I was looking over the engine in my 16 to pull it, and realized I am not sure if I need to remove the Alpha first. Be patient with me as I have never pulled a boat engine.

I own a huge transportion company with over 50 vehicles. I have 3 full time mechanics and a huge shop with all the fixin's. Once I get the engine out my mechanics can help with the installation of the cam, heads, manifold, and carb. They are bus mechanics though and have never pulled a boat engine before. I just want to do it right. Any help on pulling the engine would be appreciated.

mrfixxall
08-09-2006, 12:19 PM
all what rootsy said,i usually duct tape around the lip that the engine hatch lays on to prevent chipping the gel incase you bump it with the engine..

Donziweasel
08-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks James and MR.Fixall. That was just what I needed. I'll let ya know how it goes. I have all the necessary tools including cherry pickers, chains, forklift, engine stands, etc...... Just not the knowledge yet. Hopefully it will be easier if I ever have to do it again after pulling it this first time.