PDA

View Full Version : 22 classic

trident garage
08-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi to everyone on the Donzi registry I am interested in the 22 classic. I really don't have enough money for a brand new one and would like to hear from other owners and enthuiastic guys who know the inside info on what to look for best years engines etc. I used to ski with a girlfriends brother on a sweet 16 but I love the look of the 22 classic let me know thanks, Gene

boldts
08-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Boy Trident. That's an open question. You may get more responces than you thought possible as likes with owners are as many as differnt 22 Classic differences were available over the years. Things like windshield or no windshield, windshield with chrome frame or just plexi and no frame or black frame. Fuel tank fill in the center of the bow stripe or off to the side of the bow. Big block Chevy, Ford or Small Block Chevy engines. Drives ya got Mercruiser B1, Alpha, BlackHawk, Mercruiser SS, OMC King Cobra or just Cobra, Volvo DXP and then there is the modified drive systems like Arneson. Then you've got color.....You've got different color combinations. The Special Edition models all had special colors and there was a time when Donzi did what looked like a paint brush swipe in the gel. Might have been during the OMC years of ownership?

I've only had the pleasure of owning 1 22' Classic. It was a medium blue that was ordered special from the factory by the previous owner. It was a 1999 with a chrome windshield frame. I love chrome on anything whether it be my car/truck or boat. I'm a fuel fill in the center guy also because that is the way they were from the start. I like a Big Block for power and mine had a B1 drive. Never had any problems with the engine package other than general tuneup issues. I lost a coil the first year I had the boat, but from seeing a 22 with the Volvo DPX package, I really like it. It was part of Volvo's attempt at entering the high performance/race crowd so it includes a real nice hydraulic steering system built into it. Dual props for great prop effiency.

So, it's really up to you. You'll need to decide what you like in a boat. I don't think any years for say have had structural issues. It's a boat you can get caught in a sudden ruff water condition like found on the Great Lakes or Sarasota Bay at times and now using a little sense, that boat will bring you home safely. Do a little homework, check the satisfaction reports of any of the drivelines listed. Then pick an amount you want to spend and do your best to find a 22 Classic that fits the most of your wants within that price. I don't think you'll be disappointed in any of them. Good luck with your search.

Tony
08-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Scott Boldts, as usual, summed it up nicely. Shop on BoatTrader.com to see what is out there, try to inspect in person any that are close to you, and of course look at the offerings in this site's "Classified" section. Sometimes a good deal might appear that is not your favorite color or year...buy it anyway, it will grow on you!

Digger
08-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Gene, welcome. Scott hit it dead on... just pick one, you'll form your own likes/desires/needs once you've had one for awhile

Carl C
08-08-2006, 07:17 AM
I would go with as new as you can afford. Look for a 502 or 496 HO. These motors will have you running in the 70's. This is the place to look for one. JMHO :boat: