PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Hole, WY

Donziweasel
08-05-2006, 06:10 PM
SInce I bought my Donzi, some people on the boards have been asking about the boating in and around Jackson. We have 2 lakes within 30 miles of Jackson and they are both beautiful. Jackson Lake is surrounded by 13,000 ft mountains nand is about 20 miles long by 10 miles wide. That is the pics I posted below. SOrry the weather wasn't a little better. It has all kind of coves, beautiful mountain water and is located in Grand Teton National Park. It is full of three different types of trout. The camping is outstanding as are the cabin rentals. Not a single house on the entire lake. By the way, Signal Mountain Lodge makes an amazing blackberry margarita.

Palisades Reservoir is south about 30 miles and is surrrounded by 10,000 ft peaks, beautiful water and is about25 miles long by 2-5 miles wide. It has a couple of arms that are 1-3 miles long. The camping is outstanding and once again, not a single house on the lake. Alpine WY is right next to the tale end of the lake and the Bull Moose Saloon is an excellent watering hole.

Hebgen Lake about 2 1/2 hours from here near West Yellowstone MT is another of our favorites. It is about 20 miles long and 2-5 miles wide with a couple of arms that are 3-5 miles long. Very sceninc and near Yellowstone National Park.

If anyone is ever interested in visiting, give me a hollar and I can give you more info. I took a freind for a ride yesterday and he is hooked. There might be another Donzi in the State on day!

DonCig
08-05-2006, 06:29 PM
I am ready to give it a try!

Don

Donziweasel
08-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Come on out. Jackson Lake is probably the most beautiful lake in the US. I do not know of any lake where you have a 13000 ft mountain with a Glacier in the middle of it dropping right down into the lake. And no, the water is not that cold, no wetsuit needed (except for Rick S, who I have never met, but I read about the trip to Powell). Most days in the summer highs in the 90's, but 0% humidity, so it is very comfortable.

Donziweasel
08-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks. I wish there were more out here. You should see the looks I get and a lot of compliments. There are faster boats out here, but only 1 Donzi! Going to Palisades tommorrow. I will post some pics tommorrow afternoon when I get back. Hopefully the weather will be better.

RickSE
08-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Very nice. Similar to our local lake here in Flagstaff, 6,500ft but only one 12,000' peak nearby and our water is muddy as all heck. Guess it's not that similar after all.

Hey what's with the wetsuit comment? It's only a 1.5mil farmer john:rlol: Keeps this old man comfy.

Donziweasel
08-06-2006, 08:00 AM
It sounded like you were in a full dry suit and close to hypothermia in the thread. :wink: You may have muddy lakes, but you are a lot closer to Powell. I am 10-12hours away.

Donziweasel
08-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Here are some pics of Palisades. Great day on the lake.

Mr X
08-06-2006, 07:00 PM
We go out there every year in February for a week of snowboarding.
I bet the lake is a bit nippy for boating that time of year!

Donziweasel
08-06-2006, 08:22 PM
I February we snowmobile on those same lakes. You ought to try it in the summer. I forgot, Yellowstone Lake is the largest lake in North America above 8000 ft. About 30 miles long, and very beautiful. Might see bears and it is right under the Absorka Mountains, 12,000ft plus. My wife and I ski, so give me a hollar on your next snowboarding trip.