PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Gen 1 to a Bravo?? help

SilverBack
08-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Hello. I have a 23' Ragazza that I purchased recently over eBay. I love this boat! It is in great shape except the previous owner got the 350 mag "remaned". I think the mechanic stole his engine and replaced it with a used 5.7L Volvo Penta setup. It feels like it doesn't have nearly enough power. The Alpha drive is in ok shape but if I am going to have to get into engine stuff.....I would much rather go bigger.
I have a 540ci BBC that is set up to run on 89 octane pump gas and has a hydraulic roller setup that is not too wild. It has a great bottom end (forged steel crank, H beam rods, forged pistons etc). I think it should make 550-600 hp.
What kind of outdrive do I need? I don't know if I need the single prop dive or the dual prop drive. What about gear ratios with this weight and HP?? Can a Ragazza handle this much HP?
What all has to be changed out to go from an Alpha to a Bravo??
I don't want to break any speed records...Just have a boat with some pep. I only use the boats in local lakes and rivers. A lot of stop and go stuff.
Thanks in advance!!!

farmer tx
08-05-2006, 09:55 PM
I did the Alpha to Bravo thing this spring, it wasn't that hard. Here is a play by play.

http://www.performanceboat.us/forum/showthread.php?t=48

Pismo
08-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Bravo, single prop, 1.5 ratio, get an XR, XZ, X, or at least one with an OM serial number or newer. Easy swap, drill two holes and bolt on. Will need an internal water pump and proper coupler.