PDA

View Full Version : thermal protection needed?

WOT-sup
08-05-2006, 12:29 AM
My engine hatch comes within a fraction of an inch of my exhaust riser (raised 'x' dimension and a standard Mercruiser cast center riser). Wondering if this surface gets hot enough to cause possible heat related problems with the glass or paint on the hatch. Anyone have experience with this and how handled? Don't want to go out and cook new paint (or worse) on a first run.
Hey, anybody out in Seattle going to Sea Fair this weekend?

rustnrot
08-05-2006, 06:22 AM
I can't imagine you would have a problem. Fiberglass tube is utilized for exhaust runs and so are plastic mufflers marketed for the marine environment not to mention your rubber hoses already on your boat that are not affected by the, what, at most 250 degree water??

WOT-sup
08-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the input RnR. Apparently it's not a problem; my concern was that with a heat source that close to the hatch, there was a possibility of paint on the immediate topside of the hatch showing signs of 'heat'.
Good news on the good-to-go.

DonCig
08-09-2006, 02:01 AM
I have the same condition on my engine hatch and I purchased a roll of heat shield, one sie is aluminum foil and the other side is a soft felt type material.
I have some extra so if you want to pay for the shipping I can cut a couple of pieces for you. I mounted mine with 3M spray adhesive.

It works great and I do not scratch my Ligntning Headers nor do I roast my engine hatch.

Don

WOT-sup
08-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks DonCig, I'll take you up on that offer. Shoot me an email to work out specifics...bradwhitmore@verizon.net

Brad