PDA

View Full Version : hmm what could this be?

Moody Blu'
08-03-2006, 12:47 PM
ups?

1Z6793347241115910

poodle if you read this how much for that paint for the tank? do you think i can paint my oil pan with it as well?(its a steel pan)

gcarter
08-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Broque, in addition to Tony's free paint...that's a real deal...I still have some coal tar epoxy left, probably enough to do two, maybe three tanks.
It won't be free but it's good stuff.

Moody Blu'
08-03-2006, 09:18 PM
can i paint my new oil pan with it too?

gcarter
08-03-2006, 09:26 PM
You could but it scratches very easily.
I would use a good epoxy primer (with zinc chromate) followed by the appropriate matching paint. I can give you my reccomendation tomorrow. Rootsy uses a very similar product from a competitor.
Anyway with the right primer and paint it WILL NOT rust.

Moody Blu'
08-04-2006, 12:10 AM
what kind of free paint does tony have? can he chime on in?
my tank will prolly be in next week. im contemplating driving my van down the shore this weekend, but I OH SO LOVE my audi s4 avant lol...

im also going to cringe when i fill up the gas tank in my van yuck 351w in a e350 super cargo yuck lol and my quads in the back and the AC took a crap last year:mad: but i guess ill have to.

Moody Blu'
08-05-2006, 12:59 PM
ok my tank is coming on monday and i dont think i want to wait for the free paint so what type of paint do i need to do this right? brand wise? whats good?

Moody Blu'
08-08-2006, 05:46 PM
ok i waited like 3 days no answer i hope automotive paint will work with a zinc chromate primer:crossfing

mrfixxall
08-08-2006, 06:17 PM
ok i waited like 3 days no answer i hope automotive paint will work with a zinc chromate primer:crossfing

Make sure you sand the tank first with 180-220 so what ever you use will bite into it and wont flake off...

if you use a primer make sure its catilized or it will act a sponge and suck up the water..

Moody Blu'
08-08-2006, 09:38 PM
damn it i used zinc phosphate is that ok? and it also said for use on non ferrous metals, now i kow its fine for my tank but my oil pan is steel and is ferrous so what if any problems will i have or should i strip it:(

Cuda
08-08-2006, 11:02 PM
I just had a new one installed, they didn't paint it at all. They were going to charge me $125 disposal fee, so I said to load it on the truck, and I'll dispose of it myself. He actually gave me the tank from another 22 that he's doing the exact same work to. Anyway, I'm pretty sure mine wasn't leaking, and I KNOW this one wasn't leaking. I know it wasn't, because I was going to cut it in half to sell it to the scrap yard. Gcarter told me they won't take it at a scrapyard unless it's opened so they can see there is no gas in it. Anyway, I drug it off the truck yesterday, and filled it will water to be sure there were no gas fumes inside before I cut it in half with a die grinder. The damn thing doesn't leak a drop. Another guy saw it, and I told him I was going to scrap it for $50, he said that he wanted it, and he'd give me the 50 for it.

Moral of the story is, an unpainted aluminum gas tank in my 1982 22 Classic lasted 24 years. If the new one last 24 years, it will outlive me. I'm leery of coal tar and such things like that. Once I bought a brand new trailer, and I sprayed undercoating all over the springs before it ever got wet. I swear the springs rusted out faster than if I hadn't done it. I think it would get small pinholes in the stuff, then hold tiny amounts of salt water.

Here's the old tank in my driveway yeserday, full of water.

Formula Jr
08-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Guys, water isn't enough. Before cutting a tank apart, drop in a few chunks of DRY ICE. Don't start cutting till the fog is coming out the filler. This will displace any oxygen left in the tank. Availability of Oxygen is what makes tanks go boom-boom.

Cuda
08-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Guys, water isn't enough. Before cutting a tank apart, drop in a few chunks of DRY ICE. Don't start cutting till the fog is coming out the filler. This will displace any oxygen left in the tank. Availability of Oxygen is what makes tanks go boom-boom.

Then why doesn't the whole world blow up when I light I cigarette? I think it has more to do with GAS FUMES than it does with oxygen being present.:boggled:

BillG
08-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Oxygen does not burn, but the gas fumes sure will when you add a little to the mix. The dry ice is a good idea to make the tank safe.
Just my 2 cents.

BillG

Moody Blu'
08-09-2006, 01:43 PM
moody,
remove teh oil pan and sandblast it before you even think of painting or priming... first it will let you see where it is leaking.. 2nd it'll clean the surface and allow the primer to bite... i'd use a 2 part catalyzed epoxy primer as a base...
as for the tank... i guess it is finished but i used a DuPont NASON etching primer, followed by PPG DPLF epoxy...

rootsy, the oil pan is brand new, never painted and was never on my boat i cleaned it with acetone and took a #1 wool pad to it and cleaned it, there were spots of rust on the metal which i tried to get off the best i could its almost like its stained. doesnt rust need oxygen to grow?
once i cleaned it i then sprayed it with the zinc phosphate BUT it says for non ferrous metals the oil pan is ferrous(sheet metal) will the zinc phosphate still do its jobs?

guys the dry ice lesson is cool but im in the middle of fixing my boat and would hope you could help with a lesson on ferrous and non ferrous metals and if the zinc phosphate i used will work, even though it says for non ferrous metals.

rootsy what do you mean by you guess the tank is finished? just install it without spraying it? i havent sprayed it with anything yet.

i did just think that perhaps this aluminum tank is going to shave some weight off of the ole moddy blu(old steel tank) that should help with my speed a bit? i hope well every little bit helps

Moody Blu'
08-09-2006, 03:37 PM
so cuda are you saying just foam in the tank without paint? i have the oem 23 gallon from fla marine tanks.

i could spray some automotive paint on it at my buddies

im making progress with the boat but i keep getting held up

yesterday i went to get a new battery for my van and realized the positive wire terminal was cracked and broke when i tightented it to the battery, so i went back in walmart to get one and when i came out i realized i locked my keys in my van, hour later i finally got in it..

today i realized i have a badly rusted oil pan on the van which is leaking and ive been screwing around with that all day DAMN IT im not enjoying this one bit.

WHERE DO I GET THIS FOAM STUFF??????? the 2 in one???? i can not find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
some one please answer

Cuda
08-09-2006, 05:42 PM
so cuda are you saying just foam in the tank without paint? i have the oem 23 gallon from fla marine tanks.

I'm saying that's how Donzi originally did it, and that's how they did it at the Boat Hospital.

gcarter
08-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Broque, here's some info I promised;
For your pan and other parts and drive etc;
Primer; R-M EP789 epoxy black primer.
Paint; R-M UNO-HD two component, high solids, acrylic urethane, Ebony color (if you want black)
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36526

Pour-in-place foam; US Composites 2 part liquid, expanding urethane foam
(4#/ cubic foot.

http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

Also see; http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36295

gcarter
08-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Broque, I would coat the tank. I know they will last a long time w/o it, but, you've already owned this boat a long time and chances are, you'll own it for many more years.
Just do it right, be very careful. I used coal tar epoxy and THERE WERE NO HOLES IN IT. I know because I was extremely careful.
Even if you use the primer and paint mentioned above, I would coat the tank with something.:smash: