PDA

View Full Version : 5w30 and trim tabs

Donziweasel
08-03-2006, 10:39 AM
I just read a note from the guy who sold me the boat. He said he has been running 5w30 in the mercuiser 5.7L. The owners manual says I should be using a straight 30w or 40 w depending on the temps I am running the boat. Should I change to the recommended oil? The engine has 198 hours on it and seems to run fine.

Also, I ordered some 12X9 Bennett trim tabs from Star Marine and after four days they had not shipped, so I cancelled the order. Just curious on the opinions of the joystick controller vs. the rocker switches. I am good with tabs, buy my wife is not and she will be driving the boat some. What is easier and what would you recommend.

MOP
08-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Many opinions on oil, I run the best 20-50 I can buy. I would get either the rocker switch or the buttons the joy stick works Ok but!

Phil

CHACHI
08-03-2006, 11:44 AM
I just read a note from the guy who sold me the boat. He said he has been running 5w30 in the mercuiser 5.7L. The owners manual says I should be using a straight 30w or 40 w depending on the temps I am running the boat. Should I change to the recommended oil? The engine has 198 hours on it and seems to run fine.
Also, I ordered some 12X9 Bennett trim tabs from Star Marine and after four days they had not shipped, so I cancelled the order. Just curious on the opinions of the joystick controller vs. the rocker switches. I am good with tabs, buy my wife is not and she will be driving the boat some. What is easier and what would you recommend.Mr Weasel, personally I wouldn't run 5w30 in anything that saw ambient air temps over 40 degrees. Asking or recommending what oil you should use on this or any other performance driven web site is like asking "which female C&W singer is hotter". I really don't think there is a really wrong answer. I would use a heavier oil than what the past owner used. I personally use a 20w50 synthetic/petroleum blend motorcycle oil. This product offers better film strength than a straight 30 or 40, thins less than a straight 40 at oil temps over 210 F, will still offer a pour point well below 32F, so cold starting is not an issue, and it contains a good slug of zinc and phosphours for anti wear(boats are always going uphill) and for oxidation (hi oil temps). 5w30 was introduced as an energy conserving oil for the auto industry to help the automakers achive higher C.A.F.E. (corporate average fuel efficency, or something to that effect) ratings. They have now gone to even thinner fluids to increase milage. Stay away from these oils. I am sure that you have a personal favorite oil, get it in a 20w50 viscosity and have a good time.

As far as what switch, I have the Bennett rocker that I re-wired so I don't think that I will be much help there. Oil, yes..............what switch, no. Ken

Donziweasel
08-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the input. Will try 20w50. I have always used Valvoline and like it.

Still looking for more input on the rocker switches vs. the joystick.

Greg
08-03-2006, 05:36 PM
I went with the rockers, extremely user friendly. I also went with the indicators. The first time I mounted the pump I put it on the starboard side of the bilge and the opposite tab worked slower. I would recommend mounting it as close to center as you can. Thomas at Bennett is VERY helpful. Good luck with your project.

Donzigo
08-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Straight SAE 40 wt. for ever and ever.

Why? Marine engines work 100% of the time.

Donziweasel
08-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks guys. Ordered Bennett 12x9 with rockers. Will change the oil.