PDA

View Full Version : I am giving up

Donziweasel
08-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Not really. I appreciate all the input on my high altitude set up, but I am getting much different advice from the boards vs. mercruiser. Mercruiser is adamant that I need to go from a 1.47 gear to over a 2.01 and run a higher pitch prop. This seems extreme to me. Every one on the boards is telling me stay with the 1.47. Not sure what to do. I just ordered a stiletto 17 ptich from Dan's Prop Shop.

MOP
08-02-2006, 11:15 AM
I would agree on a heavier hull but not on a light boat, a slow turning prop is more efficiant then a fast turning prop. You are on the right track playing with props and jetting.

Phil

boldts
08-02-2006, 11:36 AM
DW - From an outsider on this subject because I'd be doing the same thing you are. Take a look at the obvious. What does Mercruiser have to gain from giving you information. They make money. Parts cost money and it's not like you can try it out and if it doesn't work, send it back and ask for a different ratio. At least I don't think you can? They'd be happy to sell you a different ratio I'll bet. Mercruiser also doesn't work for Donzi or any other manufacturer other than selling them their drive line. They are not out on the water running a 16' Classic, the owners here are. The people here are giving you real life experiences. We may not all live at the altitude your boating at. So, use people near that lake who are experienced in engine set-up and running in that envoirment, but also look at the experience of actual owners of these boats. Lets face it. A 16' Donzi Classic is not a FourWinns 16' bowrider and in no way responds in the same way. I don't know what your plans are with the boat, but many of the owners have trailers and travel ungoddly miles sometimes to visit other lakes and meet other Donzi owners. Take Mercruiser with just a bit of a grain of salt. They are a business who profits on making money from customers. Don't even get me started on their props. You buy a prop and then have to spend additional money to have it perfected in order to work correctly? Whos the loser in that deal? It's not the companys who get to sell and do the work on the props. Just my $.02

Donziweasel
08-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Everyone, thanks for the input. As a new Donzi owner, I am very interested in traveling and attending Donzi events and meeting Donzi owners. Why buy a Donzi and keep it all to yourself. As far as I know, I am the only Classic owner in the entire State of Wyoming, but look forward to traveling with my Donzi. All of you guys have been great in pointing me in the right direction and I can not say enough about my fellow Donzi owners and these forums. Thanks a bunch.

RickSE
08-02-2006, 02:29 PM
I've heard of lots of guys down here running more gear for the altitude. In fact Donzi would even send us boats with more gear in them for the altitude. I'd consider it but wouldn't go over the 1.8 ratio. The higher pitch props are more efficient but also apply more thrust load to the drive. I agree with Rootsy about being on the bottom end of the available props.

goatee
08-02-2006, 02:41 PM
or,,,,move to michigan. "the great lake state".
just a thought.

mrfixxall
08-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Not really. I appreciate all the input on my high altitude set up, but I am getting much different advice from the boards vs. mercruiser. Mercruiser is adamant that I need to go from a 1.47 gear to over a 2.01 and run a higher pitch prop. This seems extreme to me. Every one on the boards is telling me stay with the 1.47. Not sure what to do. I just ordered a stiletto 17 ptich from Dan's Prop Shop.

You do have a 350? The gears in a 2.01 ratio are way to thin and will brake,,,
Ive done it and youll never be able to prop it rite..rejet your carb...try this,,remove your hatch and take the boat for a spin with the hatch off..
if the rpms pick up you have to rejet....

mrfixxall
08-02-2006, 04:09 PM

You have a 350 rite? you will brake the gears in the upper on the 2.01 ratio..
that drive was intended for a four cylinder engine and you will never be able to prop it...i did it and broke the gears..try this remove your engine hatch and take the boat for a spin with the hatch off...if your rpms pick ( you should see 200 more rpm)you need to take fuel away from the engine(smaller main jets)or get yourself a small oxygen bottle and strap it in the bilage and turn it on and take it for a spin and see if your rpms pick up "rejet"

ive done all kinds of crazy s__t to fixx problems,But it works.....

Donziweasel
08-02-2006, 04:23 PM
I have a new Stiletto 17 pitch on the way from Dans Prop Shop. I also have the local boat guru rejetting my carb next Tuesday. First I want to get the boat dialed in at it's current configuration. Next, I want to boost the horsepower from 210 (actually 173 at my altitude).

I am a gear head. I guess you need to know that man behind the boat. For example, 2 years ago I purchased a stock Arctic Cat M-7. I mmediatly put an 800 big bore kit on it. Next came a Boondocker EFI adjutment module. Shortly thereafter came a Big Daddy pipe and a Racin Station Can. Still not satisfied, I drilled the track and inserted ice racing screws. Still not done, I drilled out the running boards. Reeds and Vlaves were next and then to top it off I put an ICE systems nitrous kit on it. From the original 140 respectable horses I now have well over 200 and use eberyone of them.

I then started eyeballing my wife's sled. Although she wanted no mods, I could not resist and put a pipe, can, drilled track, running boards. She then said if I did anything else I she would divorce me .

I guess modiying high performance things is half of the fun for me in owning high performance things and I am sure this Donzi is no different. Knowing me, next I will probably figure out a way to squeeze a 496 Mag with a blower and 700 hp into the Classic. Just kidding, although I wonder..........

One thing I am sure of is that a Mercruiser 5.7 is much different than a snowmobile.

As for moving to Michigan, you do not have any 13,000 ft mountains in which to run a 210 hp hill climbing monster of a snowmobile, although thanks for the suggestion. I also have a new Arctic Cat 1000 on the way and might have an highl modified M-7 for sale.

Donziweasel
08-02-2006, 04:32 PM
One nice M-7.

mrfixxall
08-02-2006, 05:10 PM
your not the only with 210+ hp under your hood..lets just sat i have a inner cooler and somthing that whistles in the back:yes:

Donziweasel
08-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Ever ride out here? It is good to see that there are some sled heads who own Donzi's. I will forgive you for riding a Yamaha though!:tongue: The apex's are nice though and the only sled that you can either Turbo Charge or Supercharge. There are some guys out here with over 300hp on the Yamaha 4 strokes. Most of the guys I ride with are on Cats or Summitts. Most guys out here don't like the Yamahas becuase they are too heavy for deep snow and in some areas around here we get over 600 inches! If you ever get my way, let me know and we will go riding in some of the most beautiful country on the planet!

mrfixxall
08-02-2006, 08:39 PM
I may have to take you up on that offer to go play in the powder...no offence i use to ride A/C from 1990> 1999 but i kept braking them in 2000 i bought my first yamaha srx700 and it hasnt been back to the dealer since..
2005 i bought my rx1 and what a differance in the ride and yes a little heavy but rides real smooth and the gas milage well 18 to 20 mpg and no oil to carry with you..Gotta love the electric start and reverse too for those cold mornings..
A friend of mine just bought a new 6 place trailer so we can allput our sleds in the trailer and head west this winter.We just have to figure out what we are going to pull it with tho i dont thing my old burb nearing 400,000 miles will do the trick,shes getting tired..
gettin back to your boat ever thought about converting to efi or convert nos to a oxygen injection for your altitude??
a few yers back i was moving my x g-friend back to her moms in utah and i saw a trucker that converted a propain injection system to a oxygen injection that wouked really well when he went through the continental divide,he was smoking all the other truckers so i was coutous about the oxy bottle i saw mounter on the back of his truck..so i followed him into the fuel station and asked about it...
any ways good luck..

Donziweasel
08-03-2006, 07:41 AM
As far as the riding, Jackson Hole is known as one of the best places to ride in the world. We literaly have over 5 million acres of back country to ride in and in many cases you can ride a 100 miles and not see another sled. We have powder fields, great trials and grooming, and my favorite, the best climbing in the west. Some of the areas you might want to look at are Togwottee, the Greys River and Union Pass. Wyoming has over 2000 miles of groomed trailes alone. To get here, simply contact a rental car agency. Most of the SUV's they rent have a standard tow package and unlimited mileage. For about 50-75 buck a day you can rent a Expedition or Yukon. Just save up for the fuel.

On the Donzi, I am going to try the new prop and have an appointment to have it rejetted next Tuesday. I am sure I will start playing with Carbs, Manifolds and Cams soon. I guess I have to learn this stuff. I never new how to modify a snowmobile until I had one and tried, so I am looking forward to playing with the engine. I just hope I do not make a serious and expensive mistake.