PDA

View Full Version : "63 Donzi"...Real???

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
08-02-2006, 09:55 AM
I guess it's possible. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-DONZI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63685QQihZ020QQit emZ300013114486QQrdZ1

Eric

BUIZILLA
08-02-2006, 10:05 AM
I'd like to see a title with DONZI spelled out in the manufacturers box.....

penbroke
08-02-2006, 10:07 AM
You mean the cow DIDN'T jump over the moon???:eek!: I've been lied to again...:confused:

Eric:Check it out (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45930). When ya comming up?

Frank

BERTRAM BOY
08-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Ebay has been notified of this "misrepresented" ad.

About a month or so ago, the seller was in contact with the Lake George Donzi club president, and another highly respected member of the club, asking what the value of his "Donzi" might be. He was told that his boat couldn't possibly be a 1963 Donzi, as Donzi didn't exist until 1964, and that Donzi never made anything that was consistant with the boat that he has.

Also, He has been asked to produce documentation to verify his claim, but is unable to do so.

So, in short he knows that his boat is most likely NOT a Donzi, but advertised it as such anyway.

goatee
08-02-2006, 02:38 PM
it's the ever sought after INFLATABLE donzi. it's worth billions!

ALLAN BROWN
08-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Obviously built by "Pop" Aronow..................................

08-03-2006, 10:07 PM
When ya comming up?
Frank

I'm coming up Friday for a few days. If you're not busy why don't you come down for a bit?

I'll e-mail you.

Eric

Formula Jr
08-04-2006, 08:11 AM
:wink:

As we know the 1963 OB 17 foot Donzis all had hand written serial numbers on the underside of the deck at the very point of the bow where the light is bolted thru. At least that is what Jim Wynne told me in a recent telephone conversation. I asked the seller to confirm this and suggested that he may need to sand the top coat of resin off in order to see it more clearly.

He said he will check on this later today.

VetteLT193
08-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Ebay has been notified of this "misrepresented" ad.
About a month or so ago, the seller was in contact with the Lake George Donzi club president, and another highly respected member of the club, asking what the value of his "Donzi" might be. He was told that his boat couldn't possibly be a 1963 Donzi, as Donzi didn't exist until 1964, and that Donzi never made anything that was consistant with the boat that he has.
Also, He has been asked to produce documentation to verify his claim, but is unable to do so.
So, in short he knows that his boat is most likely NOT a Donzi, but advertised it as such anyway.

according to Donzi they existed in 1963

http://www.donzimarine.com/DonziWebsite/Site/History/History1.html

BERTRAM BOY
08-04-2006, 11:58 AM
according to Donzi they existed in 1963
http://www.donzimarine.com/DonziWebsite/Site/History/History1.html

.....and that would also be incorrect. Don Aronow didn't start Donzi until AFTER he left Formula in 1964.

Forrest
08-04-2006, 04:43 PM
. . . and to top that off, that thing doesn't even look like any Donzi that I've ever seen. Also, and how 'bout that bogus question and answer the he has listed in the ad. Sheeesh! Some people. Where are the eBay poilce when you need 'em.

Sagbay32
08-04-2006, 06:57 PM
a very interesting monster....to say the least!

M

Ed Donnelly
08-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Rootsy; You had better stay behind after class tonight.
I think we need to have a word with you about being rude to the teacher.
Mr. Madpoodle means well and was only answering your fellow students question..........Father Donnellly

gold-n-rod
08-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Bueller?? Bueller?? Bueller?????
we know the prototype that was raced by Wynne was an I/O boat
we know Brownie had hull 1 up at the jacksonville show white with blue and an white I/O that Karl and the darkside wanted to take a look at
we know the the prototype 16 was all white red stripe on deck no boot line stripe powered by an in line 4 cyl and a volvo and tested in Sweden
so what can we extrapilate from that class???

...... that this eBay boat is NOT a Donzi, especially a 1963 "Job One." I tried to tell the seller that, kindly the first time, more emphatically the second....... and he wrote back and called me a "nut"..... twice.

I give up.

Sagbay32
08-06-2006, 11:15 AM
....and who is to say we are not all nutz

:confused: or:

I cannot tell how the truth may be;
I say the tale as 'twas said to me.
- Sir Walter Scott,

Michael

08-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Whatever it is or was, it has a nice looking hull (at least in the first pic). The deck is too short and nothing about the topsides says "Donzi", especially the lack of a molded cockpit liner. And, it looks different from any of the one-off outboard powered offshore racers Don built under the Magnum Donzi and Cigarette names.
My guess is it's a Canadian made splash of an 18' Donzi hull with a different style deck either made specifically for the splash or perhaps even grafted on from another boat.

Hmmmm.......

Eric

Formula Jr
08-07-2006, 09:51 PM
There were 12 of the O/B 17's made, they were the first boats. James Wynne, told me this when I called him last week. This guy has one of those. God knows what it should be priced at. It should be in a museum or Donzi should have bought it back as a piece of history since its the only known one left....... I don't know why he's selling it.
Think about it. If he hangs on to it for a while, then it will just gain value over time as more and more people find out what it is....and how significant it is.
He's giving this thing away on E-bay. I don't have enough money to buy it since its worth maybe 30K? Its the only one of the first 12 we have ever seen.
And it still has the original Overton Seats.
I've come across one of these before. The whole thing if its THE first donzi, its that 1 of,
12 with the signiture of Don Aronwow. And Jim Wynne, last night, on the phone: Told they were right marked at the bow -= Under the deck. At the Peak. It's hard, at now,: 6o read one saw was 63 09/12. Readabable once we , and then you had to clear coat it alittle.
Sand, and then find out.... .Oh I forgot to say that its all printed in backwards, maybe 80 grit to go though the first coat.
There were other places on the '63 also. One was under the deck. You have to split the boat to see these marks............

08-08-2006, 09:02 AM
There were 12 of the O/B 17's made, they were the first boats. James Wynne, told me this when I called him last week........................
...And Jim Wynne, last night, on the phone: ............

Well, that puts a different spin on the thread!

Like I said, I suppose it's possible. I can picture Don and the boys making a small run of these Outboards to test the waters. I guess the molded in cockpit liner could have come as one of the first improvements to the original design. Could it be that we've all gotten so used to the classic Donzi with the molded cockpit tub that we now find it hard to conceive of a Donzi without it?

The controversy rages on......"honey, where's the popcorn"?
:uzi: :fire:

Eric

Lenny
08-08-2006, 11:00 AM
if you see jim morrison tell him i said hello eh... :eek!:

Flat Racer, here is a bit more info...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE2DA1F39F930A15751C1A9669582 60

Ed Donnelly
08-08-2006, 11:15 AM
A bud of mine has old pics of #3 that he said he bought from Roy Farmer.
He is looking for them now. I will post them as soon as I get them....Ed

LKSD
08-08-2006, 05:47 PM
:smash:
I guess it's possible. What do you think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-DONZI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63685QQihZ020QQit emZ300013114486QQrdZ1
Eric

I like the interior.....:boggled: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :boggled:

Sagbay32
08-08-2006, 08:34 PM
"I don't have enough money to buy it since its worth maybe 30K? Its the only one of the first 12 we have ever seen.
And it still has the original Overton Seats."
Now that was funny
Michael

superhatz
08-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm confused..........is Formula jr. serious.....?:confused:

chappy
08-08-2006, 09:44 PM
This is too funny.

Rich

gold-n-rod
08-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Good question. How does one separate the fly **** from the pepper????

:bonk:

Ed Donnelly
08-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Auction is over. Minimum not met. Only went to $3,500
Looks like he is holding out for $30,000
Wonder if that is Canadian or American?? ......Ed

Formula Jr
08-08-2006, 11:34 PM
I want to thank everyone for playing along. This has been a much needed mental vacation from the stress of getting married. It was open season on this seller since he completely refused to listen to people that are experts in Donziology. And it has been the source of so much laughter here that my tummy hurts. And the seller's name was Scott. And that was even more funny and Ironic.

Since I got a ton of e-mails - from whom will not be mentioned, I'll have to set it straight. This boat is in no way a real Donzi. I can state beyond all reasonable doubt that it isn't.

Its a Topaz. I know that because I rented one in 1975.

Jim Wynne has been dead for 16 years, but I think he would have liked the joke since he liked practical jokes. I hope the seller looked real hard for that HIN number. He deserved to have been sent on a snipe hunt.

superhatz
08-08-2006, 11:57 PM
:)................thanks for clearing that up.

Lenny
08-09-2006, 12:00 AM
I want to thank everyone for playing along. This has been a much needed mental vacation from the stress of getting married.

Owen, I will see you at your Wedding.. :)

FastCat, Edgewater Hotel, Crab, it's all good.

As far as the "stress" of getting Married, if you are with the right one, the there are NO worries, and I hope YOU HAVE A BLAST. :)

See you in Seattle in a couple of weeks :D

Best wishes you too...

Yes, for all the others, Jim Wynne is dead,.. sadly... He made this sport and provided the lines for "others" to race 'em...

He penned all the "Great Ones"...

Formula Jr
08-09-2006, 04:17 AM
This is a circa '71-"75 Topaz. And thats the most funny part. I know this boat, I rented one in '75.

gold-n-rod
08-09-2006, 07:07 AM
but, but, but... it says DONZI on the side :boggled:

and, and, and..... the guy who originally had the boat restored wrote an email to the seller swearing it was the real deal.

That's all the documentation I need!!!!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

08-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Well, not knowing that Mr. Wynne is no longer with us, I fell right into that trap. Good one, FJ! You got me. I'll cop to being ignorant...this time. LOL!

Eric