PDA

View Full Version : Can't get it up...

RWPool
08-02-2006, 12:59 AM
No, really...my lower unit...I just can't get it up! OK, before I get kicked off, it's the King Cobra drive lower unit that is supposed to go up when you click the button on the control lever. It has been a few years since it has been used. I can hear the relay click when I push the button to raise or lower the unit. The electrical connections apppear to be good. But, the main motor (which is out of sight) that moves the thing doesn't engage. I can't trailer the boat out of storage untill I get it up, so that I can work on it. Any clues? Can I detach the arms and manually move it up for transport? :beer: :beer: :beer:

Greg K
08-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Sounds like bad trim pump / motor, remove the lines from the rams and raise the drive and insert these trailering clips...
http://images.westmarine.com/full/15615_f.jpg

MOP
08-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Try this before you pull the lines off the pump take a rubber mallet or a block of wood and smack the pump, when they sit the carbon brushes corrode a bit and do not make good contact. I have taken quite a few apart that had nothing wrong but dirty brushes. The pump is usually on the port side near the transom to big to be hidden.

Phil

penbroke
08-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Could he detatch the rams from the drive and tie them and the drive up to move the boat?

Frank:lightning

MOP
08-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Could he detatch the rams from the drive and tie them and the drive up to move the boat?
Frank:lightning

Sure he can you sly devil!!!

goatee
08-02-2006, 09:38 AM
battery! i've been out on boats where the battery was fine to start the motor, but not enough to move the drive up.:yes: