PDA

View Full Version : Canvas boat covers?

superhatz
08-01-2006, 08:49 PM
I got a nice custom canvas boat cover with my boat........is this thing supposed to be waterproof?

Is it only for sun protection?......it seems like it's not waterproof and might do more damage than good......unless I pull it off and dry it.....kind of defeats the purpose?

Thanks....:)

need for speed
08-01-2006, 08:58 PM
what's it made out of?

superhatz
08-01-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure......the best I can come up with is canvas.....

Cuda
08-01-2006, 10:08 PM
You want a breathable cover. Some water will get through, but it will be able to evaporate back out. A plastic type cover will cause mildew. Sunbrella is the material of choice.

need for speed
08-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Sunbrella is the way to go.. mine came from
coverquest.com...

ospreyproduction
08-02-2006, 08:22 AM
I just ordered the sunbrella cover from coverquest and it was $600 including the tie down straps and shipping.

MOP
08-02-2006, 09:00 AM
There are two schools of thought, water proof and breathable, I have been in the marine Biz longer then most members are old! Here is my tilt on the subject, water proof is good and breathable is good. Now the real important difference, with a water proof cover it is essential to vent it well! Good air circulation is a must, without it you will get mold and corrosion plus any water left in the bilge will in the heat cook into the wood parts it will over time help to rot your stringers and bulk heads. I not only have breathable canvas but also use a solar vent setup to keep constant air motion, I have seen way to many moisture problems to do anything else if storing outside.

Phil

superhatz
08-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys.......I'm basically trying to keep water out of my bilge to prevent any possible rot.

I'm thinking about waterproofing the cover and making a pole so the water runs off.

The other consideration is that the boat is off white and the cover is dark blue. The boat has been painted with an automotive urethane and the temp is way hotter under the cover......is this going to do more damage than just leaving it sit in the sun?

Thanks,
Aaron

need for speed
08-02-2006, 02:00 PM
see it happen on a dark blue jet boat with auto paint...the black cover sat on the deck and turned the paint gray.....if it was done right you should be ok..

all covers need a pole or a way to let water run off/ jack the bow way up and leave the plug out

MOP
08-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Many paints will blister from the extra heat uder a cover, we have had a few blister under white shink wrap.