PDA

View Full Version : Engine is in....

Jamesbon
08-01-2006, 09:05 AM
After many hours in the last 2 weeks, I finally got this thing in. I started with raw 6x6 1/2 aluminum angles which I roughed in and cut to fit the engine mount plates. Once I had 'em cut to their final shape, I cleaned 'em up and had them primered and painted. A couple days ago, I bolted them to the stringers. Yesterday, in preparation for the final engine mounting, I had to fabricate a transmission shift cable bracket and mount that, then install the driveline coupler with new grade 8 bolts, also fitted the tranny oil cooler outlets and gave everything a "once over" before tucking her in the bilge.
With the final details done, I rolled the old cherry picker under the boat and nestled the 502 down and in the hull. With the engine plate mounts lined up with the aluminum angles I fabricated, I checked the driveline coupler and drive iinput shaft for proper engagement and alignment. Once she was properly positioned, I clamped the angles and plates together then drilled 14 freaking holes through the 1/2" aluminum. With that done, I installed the 7/16" bolts and tightened her down. I was feeling pretty good at this point.
It's been 4 years since the the GT's held an engine.....fact in point. When I lowered the cherry picker down to release the engine, the trailer tongue started raising off the ground. The weight of the old BBC was enough that I had to move the bow stop forward about a foot and a half.

pmreed
08-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Looks great Nate!! Just out of curiosity, how do you adjust the motor to coupling to Arnie alignment. Looks like that motor is going to stay right where it is for the duration:eek!: .

Phil

Jamesbon
08-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Phil,
Actually, I aligned the engine coupling with the drive, then clamped the aluminum angles to the stringers where they naturally sat. Once clamped to the stringers, I removed the engine and drilled and fastened the angles to the stringers. Then lowered the engine back in and drilled the holes through the angles and bolted them to the one piece plate mounts.

...Yes, she is there for the duration :)

penbroke
08-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Nice job Nate. :yes:

Frank

gcarter
08-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Sure is hard to photograph black isn't it? Lots of details I'd like to see, guess I'll have to wait.
It does better outside I found.

RickR
08-02-2006, 11:05 AM
:yes:

Jamesbon
08-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Hey, Thanks Fellas. I'm really trying, but the more I do, I feel like there's 10X more to go. I'll keep "grinding."

Thanks for adding to my stress level Poodle ;)

I had to take a break tonight and go home after work. I was just wiring the old Gaffrigs in the dash panel here on my kitchen counter, but ran out of heat shrink connectors.... :( Guess I'll have to get the dusty windshield out from under the bed and pull the old plexi and start prepping the aluminum frame for new black paint. It sure is nice to work in the A/C.

George,
Let me know what you would like to see, I'd be glad to "expand" or take close up pics next time I'm out there.

Will someone please call the people at "Pimp My Ride" and have them finish this thing with me in the next "62 days!?" :yes:

HallJ
08-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Could we see some pics where the velvet drive goes through
the transom? Also, how did you get the trans lined up with the drive?
dial indicators,alignment shaft? Nice work!!!!!!!
Thanks
Jeff

Speed-Racer
08-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Looks like you added a lot of re-inforcing strength to the sides and stringers with gussets:eek!:

Jamesbon
08-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Hallj,
I'll take some next week. I used the cherry picker to lower the engine in the bilge, then just shimmed the engine from side to side and from front to rear to line up the "CV" joint with the drive. Because the coupler has two universal joints it's pretty forgiving. You can have up to 2 degrees of "mis-alignment" without causing any trouble.

Speed,
I added the lower gussets, the gussets on the hull sides were there when I purchased the boat back in the 80's. I don't recall if they are from factory or not. Anyone?