PDA

View Full Version : My Bravo III Outdrive needs overhaul....can i do it myself?

Avialanche
08-01-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm an aircraft and auto mechanic, do i really need lots of special tools to rebuild my outdrive? Can i get a general rebuild kit for it?

Rootsy
08-01-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm an aircraft and auto mechanic, do i really need lots of special tools to rebuild my outdrive? Can i get a general rebuild kit for it?

yes you need the "special" tools, at least some of them.. there are spanner wrenches (i made most of my own for the alphas) and what not to get it apart and there are shimming fixtures to set gear depths and backlash, etc, etc etc.

other than that it's not really all that difficult...

mrfixxall
08-01-2006, 09:38 AM

im a marine tech and i wont even do them,,,their a pain in the !@#$%^&**like rootsy said their are a fer spanner wrenches and other shimming fixtures you need, i dont have the time to do them so i send them out to a another friend that all he does are bravos..

Avialanche
08-01-2006, 07:13 PM
im a marine tech and i wont even do them,,,their a pain in the !@#$%^&**like rootsy said their are a fer spanner wrenches and other shimming fixtures you need, i dont have the time to do them so i send them out to a another friend that all he does are bravos..

Can you get me a qoute on the overhaul? There's approx 160hrs on it since new, just switched from "Mercruiser Premium Gear Lube" to " Mercrusier High Performance Gear Lube"..............not even 15 minutes later in run time the drive started whining and then went to the a rock crusher sound & jammed the engine to a stop.