PDA

View Full Version : exhaust smoke - what to do?

jahfool
07-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey all,
New donzi owner here ... new boat owner all together for that matter... Anyway just bought a beauty of a 1979 sweet sixteen and took her out for the first two times this weekend.
Saturdays run was great... but on Sunday I had two extra people with me and there was some smoke coming out of the exhaust at higher RPMs.

Anyone know what might cause this and what I can try to remody the situation???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt B

:confused:

Carl C
07-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Was it oil (blue) or steam (white).
Was it only at high rpm under load? Or black? (running rich)

mrfixxall
07-31-2006, 09:20 PM
If the smoke was white its steam and either your t-stat is stuck open causing cold water to hit the hot exhaust which causes steam or your impeller is going bad and causing not enuff water which will also cause steam..

Cuda
07-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Almost every Alpha drive boat I've seen steams from one side when running hard. Maybe a separate sea water pump would help. Check out gcarter's set up.

jahfool
08-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys,

The smoke was white from what I could tell. I also checked the oil levels and they have not changed and the oil still seems good so I am hoping that she is not burning oil. I will have to keep an eye on it to be sure.

The smoke was only there at high RPMs on a heavy load... and I also noticed that at that point the temperature started rising quite a bit so I am suspecting that I had steam in the exhaust... now to find the cause ...

Thanks for the responses...
MB

Cuda
08-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Alpha drives are known for their lack of cooling water. Check you t stat, and that you don't have any pinched hoses.

jahfool
08-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Cuda,

Does t-stat mean thermostat ... or am I missing something here ...

MB

Cuda
08-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Yes, that's the thermostat. Like I said, it will most likely steam anyway.