PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems

Stuart
07-31-2006, 04:06 PM
I have a 18 with a 350 that will start when cold but after she heats up she won't turn over. The starter has been replaced and does not have many hours on it. The starter ingages but will not turn the engine over. The main leads from the battery to the bock and starter have been cleaned.

Any ideas?

oldandtired
07-31-2006, 06:24 PM
Get in there with a meter. Start by making sure that all electrical connections are clean and tight. Don't overlook the ground wires when going through the cables. Put the meter to the battery terminals while the engine is cranking (make sure that your battery is fully charged before starting testing). If it goes below 8 or 9 volts, then you need a new battery. If it stays up around 11-12 volts, then you have a bad cable or termination. Just keep taking voltage readings until you find the drop. You can work it in the opposite direction as well, starting at the starter terminal, but the voltages will mean something slightly different. Low voltage at the starter is either bad cables or bad battery. High voltage at the starter means a bad starter. Once the engine is running, your voltage at the battery should be around 14 volts. If it's not, your battery may not be charging properly. My guess is that you are going to find a crusty cable or a loose ground conductor. Many times, marine cables rot on the inside even though they look good on the outside. If you flex the cables and they feel like they are "crunchy" then thats a likely culprit. Put the meter on one end (positive to the cable end, negative ground for the positive lead) and crank the engine. Do the same to the other end. The voltage should be about the same at each end. Check your grounding cable in the same way using the positive battery terminal as a positive reference.

Rene

Kirbyvv
08-01-2006, 07:19 AM
I'm having the same problem. Cranks right over when cold, but cranks real slow when warmed up. So far mine does start, but it sure cranks slow when hot. My problem started after blowing a hose and filling the bilge with enough water to submerge the starter.

Stuart
08-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks oldandtired.

Ill get the volt meter and check it out.

mrfixxall
08-01-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm having the same problem. Cranks right over when cold, but cranks real slow when warmed up. So far mine does start, but it sure cranks slow when hot. My problem started after blowing a hose and filling the bilge with enough water to submerge the starter.
kirv,sounds like your timing may be too far advanced..

mrfixxall
08-01-2006, 11:42 AM
I have a 18 with a 350 that will start when cold but after she heats up she won't turn over. The starter has been replaced and does not have many hours on it. The starter ingages but will not turn the engine over. The main leads from the battery to the bock and starter have been cleaned.
Any ideas?

Does it crank at all?fast slo fast slo ,,timing too far advanced....

Stuart
08-01-2006, 01:41 PM
It will turn over fine cold, no labor at all. When she is hot, the starter engages and labors and the motor will not crank.

How would the timing affect a cold vs hot motor? I will check the timing. I set it a while back at about 10 degrees.

Barry Eller
08-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Hello Stuart, I haven't met you. I live in Gulf Breeze and have a Donzi 22. I'm having electrical problems myself. Fuel pump relays keep going out. Maybe when we have both boats running we could hookup. Dan Nye and I have run together several times. I usually hang out around Deadmans Island.

Your problem sounds like a starter getting hot from the engine compartment temps.

Stuart
08-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Barry,
Lets do it. I can get there but I can't get home. Give me a week to get this thing taken care of, provided "Cris the cane" doesn't come our way.

I have a red hull hanging in a sling at the Landfall dock in Grande Lagoon. Stop by for a beer sometime.

Barry Eller
08-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Please no Chris! Red hull? From your avatar I thought you had a yellow. Until I get my problem solved, I can't get there or back home. It's too hot in that engine compartment tracing wires, I may wait until winter!!! LOL
I hope my bimini top doesn't embarrass you!!

Here is a photo of Dan's red and my yellow at Ft McRea.

mrfixxall
08-01-2006, 06:45 PM
It will turn over fine cold, no labor at all. When she is hot, the starter engages and labors and the motor will not crank.
How would the timing affect a cold vs hot motor? I will check the timing. I set it a while back at about 10 degrees.

when its cold everything is loose,when it gets hot and sits every thing tightens up in a motor which causes it har to start...what year is your boat?
when the boat acts up bring a dist or a 9/16 wrench with you and turn the dist clock wise the retard the timing just a hair will do ..

p729lws
08-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Barry,
Lets do it. I can get there but I can't get home. Give me a week to get this thing taken care of, provided "Cris the cane" doesn't come our way.
I have a red hull hanging in a sling at the Landfall dock in Grande Lagoon. Stop by for a beer sometime.

SS,
If I hadn't run into Gene and Susan launching the X-18 off cruiser wakes outside off Little Sabine before the Blue's show I'd think I have the last running Donzi in Pensacola. If Toona was still here she'd be talking about the bad P'cola mojo. I'm hitting the Bushwaker fest at the Sandshaker this weekend to keep the mojo levels right.
Dan

Kirbyvv
08-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks, Mrfixall, I'll retard the timing a hair and see if that helps. I did just switch to an electronic ignition system from the '78 OEM stuff. Maybe timing advanced a bit too much.

Kirbyvv
08-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Stuart
Looks like mine is a bad starter. Appears to have been locking up when hot and fine when cold. Now all it does is click, hot or cold. Had the battery load tested and the alternator tested and both were fine. A new starter in this week and new cables too.

Kirbyvv
08-07-2006, 01:07 PM
New morse shifter, electronic ignition, EMI thunder exhaust, then due to 4 inch exhaust needed mufflers-chrome muffler tips look nice, totally replumbed the cooling system with new water pump etc, nice Biltrite carpet, now a new starter. I think all I need now is a new set of gauges and I'll be done (for now). Picked up about 300 rpms with the upgrades so now working on proping it down. GPS testing was suppose to be this past weekend, but starting problem got in the way. GPS next weekend.
My wife claims we have other plans but I don't see anything written on the calendar so I'm planning on the picnic.

Kirbyvv
08-09-2006, 03:44 PM
OK now I'm getting frustrated. Determined that my issue was the starter. I couldn't get it off. I was afraid I'd strip the bolts or braek them off, so took it to the marina. Well, they couldn't get it off either. We are going to have to pull the motor to get the starter off......@#&*%@