PDA

View Full Version : Busted Speedo Tube

RickSE
07-31-2006, 02:46 PM
The other day I discovered that I blew up my speedo tube coming out of the lower unit. It's completely blown out about 6 inches up from the drive connection. It passes right by the exhaust port so I'm not sure if it got hot or plugged up.

Does this tube connect to a fitting on the gimbal housing to pass through the transom? I'm assuming it does and does not go through a bellow on the gimbal housing. I tried tracing it but it's packed in pretty tight with another hose and I can't see where it terminates. I don't want to splice it and should probably replace the entire line but hoping I don't have to pull the drive to fix this.

onesubdrvr
07-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Rick,

Now could be a good time to go to a GPS Speedo. unit :wink:

Don't have any input on how to fix your problem though, sorry

Wayne

RickSE
07-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Now could be a good time to go to a GPS Speedo. unit :wink:

I would if I could get a Gaffrig speedo to match. Unfortunately Gaffrig does not currently make a Platinum GPS speedo and I really don't want to add an unmatched Livorsi.

Ranman
07-31-2006, 04:27 PM
I would if I could get a Gaffrig speedo to match. Unfortunately Gaffrig does not currently make a Platinum GPS speedo and I really don't want to add an unmatched Livorsi.

Wouldn't everything match except for the little logo in the middle of the gauge?

I think I hear that Livorsi has a service that will update the faces on your old Gaffrigs as well. Maybe a winter project?

gcarter
07-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Livorsi'll update them, but they will stay Gaffrig! I just went through this.

RickSE
08-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Does anyone know how to disconnect the speedo tube at the transom, on the outside/water side? I've traced it to a connection but can't figure out how it comes off or disconnects and it's in a confined area. Looks like it goes through some type of compression fitting??

mrfixxall
08-03-2006, 11:25 PM

rick you may want to check with gafferig,i just got a new catalog with some new stuff in it...they make a new analog style that looks platnum and a digital one with a silverish ring on the face..224-569-2900...let me know if i can help on the pricing..

push in and turn and pull the disconnect..

RedDog
08-04-2006, 06:46 AM
Could you just cut your existing tube at the break and splice in another short piece with a barbed coupling* (not sure thatis the correct name?)? Maybe you have enough room that another piece of tubing is not needed and the coupling is all that is needed?

*like this but smaller - http://www.watergarden.org/s.nl/it.A/id.754/.f?category=141

RickSE
08-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys. I'll check with Gaffrig. I looked on-line and didn't see any Platinum Monster GPS Speedo's. Maybe I'm anal but I just don't want to have a gauge with a different name on it, wanna keep the boat as original as possible. I added a fuel pressure gauge on the dash and did find a new Gaffrig that matched.

I'll try the push-in & turn deal. Not sure how I'm going to get my hand in there though. Splicing may be my best option for now to get it working again. It's just not the same without a speedo, the WOW factor is gone. It's fun taking people for a ride and seeing the speedo creep up, 60,65,70,75:eek!: . I took some friends out last weekend who've never been in the boat. They said, "hey we were going pretty fast, 52-53 MPH", me "no that was the tach, 52-53 hundred RPM's is usually a good 75-MPH".:wink:

RickSE
08-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Got it. Found some instructions on OSO. It actually pulls from inside the engine compartment. Only took about 15 minutes to replace.

RickSE
08-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Here, I'll copy this here from OSO in case someone else needs it. Again this is for the external tube from the drive to the transom bracket. I replaced mine with high pressure pneumatic tubing so we'll see how it holds up.

.... Raise the drive up and follow the tube along side of the water inlet tube. The speedo tube will be clipped to the inlet tube. The speedo tube then goes to to the top of the transom assembly, where it goes inside. With it unclipped and pulled loose, lower the drive back down with the tube routed out ward and straight out. It is clamped to a fitting, so in order to replace the tube, you unscrew the fitting from the inside of the engine compartment. With the tube free from the drive, allow it to turn as you unscrew the fitting from the inside, then just pull the tube thru the hole from the inside. It's really just a 10 min job.
If you just want to eliminate it all together either just fold and tie the tube off and tuck along the inlet hose, or after removing the tube and fitting assembly, replace the fitting with a 1/16" brass pipe plug on the inside.