PDA

View Full Version : Help Removing Volvo 250 Drive Pivot Pins

frclarke
07-31-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't want to break anything, so I thought I'd ask - The manual says that the pivot pins should be driven out. However, I see a slotted head, which leads me to believe this "pin" in threaded. I'd appreciate any help on how to tackle removing these pins. Port and starboard pictures are attached.
As well, the lock bolt on the port side looks like its been drilled and an extractor has been used on it. Appreciate any comments on removing this bolt.

Moody Blu'
07-31-2006, 11:56 AM
see those holes on top? theres screws in there take them out too, the oens on mine siezed and i never got the right side out. i believe the side pieces are not threaded i used a large flathead and rigged it up with a ratchet to move it back and forth

MOP
07-31-2006, 09:49 PM
If they have been in a long time you may have to use heat, the stock lock bolts are allen heads. If one is buggered up take it out with Vise Grips, smack it with a pin punch ust hard enough to break the thread stiction. It takes awhile as you don't have much swing, pin jobs are not one of my favorites probably done a few hundred! You can PM me with questions I worked on them for over 30 years.

Phil

MOP
07-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Took a better look at the pic's, you will have to drill the locks out. That is a B(%&# you need some real good bits. You need to start with a large enough bit to cut the head away, if you try to drill in the allen bore you will bust more bits then you can buy. Once you have cleaned the head off you should have a decent center to continue with the right sized bit, keep a good eye on the angle it is easy to drill off the stainless into the housing believe me that can happen pretty quick.

Phil