PDA

View Full Version : Packard Power

DonziJon
07-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Want Packard PT Boat power in a 38 footer?? This month Only: $350K.
http://www.harperboats.com/200338MahoganySpeedBoat.htm

Another "outrageous" speedboat also available. SORRY: Only Wood. John

Pismo
07-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Engine is incredible, layout is odd.

gcarter
07-30-2006, 09:08 PM
I like it.
There was a similar boat written about in Wooden Boat. I think it was a bit bigger and built just post war. It had serious cooling problems.
This one is neat. I bet it's a blast to see running.:)

Marlin275
07-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Has that X-18 in the1940s look ? :wink:

http://www.harperboats.com/2003_38msbc.jpg

gcarter
07-30-2006, 10:00 PM
I guess that hatch up in the bow is where the V-drive is.
LOL, I bet it has a 4" shaft.

DonziJon
07-31-2006, 09:21 AM
One of the interesting things about that boat is the prop. I've seen the boat at Clayton, out of the water and the prop was either custom cast, or a great big "Bronze" prop cut down drastically. It was no more than 14" in diameter without a whole lot of pitch but the blades had to be an inch thick and Cleavered. It looked like something designed more for use in a tunnel, ...but no tunnel. Four bladed.

The boat also showed up at Wolfeboro for the "Antique Race Boat" thingy a few years ago but maybe there was no dock space available, or he wasn't registered or whatever, because he putted around for less than five minutes and left without raizing it above idle. It was loud.

If you didn't look at the rest of the site, here is another one..I'm not positive but I think it's the same owner as the PT powered one. Also $350K

http://www.harperboats.com/2005_30Mahogany.htm John

gcarter
07-31-2006, 12:15 PM
DJ, if you look at the stern shot of the "other" boat for sale, note the twin rudders offset to the outside and forming something of a "tunnel".
Pretty interesting huh?
Also, it looks as though the prop shaft is emerging from the end of the keel, not suspended from a strut. It might even be a surface piercing prop.

DonziJon
07-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Yup: The short rightup says it's a surface piearcing "Pulse" drive..whatever "Pulse" means. The Box looking thingy under the transom supports the strut as well as the rudders and can be raized and lowered...reminded me of an Arnesen Drive. Both boats are up in Meridith, NH and have been there for at least a couple years. They both have waterline covers but they are still outside most of the year. :bonk: The boats owner lives in Massachusetts.

Harpers specializes in wooden boats and also builds on occasion. John

ALLAN BROWN
08-01-2006, 07:34 AM
That's a Harry Schoell surface drive. Surprise you? Didn't me!

DonziJon
08-01-2006, 10:49 AM
That's a Harry Schoell surface drive. Surprise you? Didn't me!

Didn't suprise me a bit cause I never heard of Harry Schoell ...until you just mentioned him. So I "Googled" him. Pretty impressive career. I think you are correct. That drive looks just like the one shown in the engineering drawing of his "Pulse" Drive in Google. Thanks for the tip. Now I think I'll have to go find out more about him. :lookaroun John

ALLAN BROWN
08-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Harry is one of the smartest and nicest guys in the business. I don't know anyone who has his overall knowledge of boats and engines.

gcarter
08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Harry is one of the smartest and nicest guys in the business. I don't know anyone who has his overall knowledge of boats and engines.
And stepped hulls!:)

ALLAN BROWN
08-01-2006, 11:53 AM
When I was with Gentry Transatlantic, we developed a test tank equivalent for towing models. Harry was the originator of the system. John Connor and I tend to take all the credit, but Harry designed and built most of the models and the original towboat. We towed every conceivable hullshape up and down the New River for 2 or 3 THOUSAND hours. I have known Harry for over 40 years and I assure you, he can think you under the table! For about 5 years, Harry and I had lunch every Thursday at Vila's Cuban/Mexican restaurant on State Road 7 in Fort Lauderdale. We had our own table, which the owner covered with upside-down place mats (for drawing). One day, Harry said "Goddamit, Brownie, we have invented and designed so many nice things for the boat business, and what do we have?" "Let's design something for a car or a house, and make some money." "OK, what?" "Let's do a toilet."

We both came up with some pretty ingenious designs, but prior art made patents impossible for little guys. We did come up with a name for the company: Brown and Harry. Our slogan for the toilet was "What's Brown and Harry, and sits in your bathroom?"

Pismo
08-03-2006, 08:45 AM
West System construction, great, means it will rot out in about 10-15 years.