PDA

View Full Version : Opps!!

steven s
07-29-2006, 10:42 PM
My cousin and I went out in my 16 1973 donzi to a lighthouse called sombero light about 5 miles of the coast of marathon in the florida keys.Well we were crusing/pounding about 1 to 2 footers.But the waves kept growing and growing.So when we circled th lighthouse it got to about 4 to 5.I felt a little nervious but the boat just cut the waves.But I had to keep up a steady 17 to 20 knots to stay on plane.When we got back I noticed a crack in the side of the boat about 3 feet forward from the stern of the boat an on the port side,6 inches down from the rubrail,and an inch under from the side.Is that just a result of 33 years of use,or is it a stress problem.I was thinking of laying 2 layers of mate,1 of rovine woben(help spelling):confused: ,and then a nother layer of mate on the inside of he hull.With about a 8 inch radious of the crack.And put marine tex on the out side.Is there any other products that can help.

But I have to say for a 16 foot boat it handled like a 24 aquasport.

gcarter
07-30-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm glad you made it back OK.
I would say you need a little profesional help. There's a bit more to it than sticking on some more glass.
Ask Catch22 where a good glass shop is in your area.

steven s
07-30-2006, 05:50 PM
:(
I'm glad you made it back OK.
I would say you need a little profesional help. There's a bit more to it than sticking on some more glass.
Ask Catch22 where a good glass shop is in your area.

My Dad 14 an uncle 16 got ahold of a 1974 sweet 16 outbord .That is why My dad and I tried for two years looking for one today.And the ride was so great.So in 1976They got the hull for $600 because the kid before jumped a yacht wave and turned into the bow of the boat cuting off the stern on the port side of the boat and sadly decapitating him.They had to rebuild the back half.It took them 2 years of sanding and shaping the hull.

And so I tink I will try to do it my self with the help of my dad after getting the concent of Brian Riley a master at glass laying.

But If Mr.Riley says in need pro work I better start mowing yards.

Carl C
07-30-2006, 07:59 PM
You're so young and it is obvious that you already have boating in your blood! I'm at a loss for words except that I'm sorry you broke your boat:alligator

steven s
07-30-2006, 09:01 PM
The boat must have been point loaded.It's previous owner had it hanging on davits.An I suspect that the boats stern was lower than the bow.He left the plug in and it rained and stressed the certain point on the hull.Which in turn is causing the crackes.

Also has any body use bi-axle(spelling) with ggod effect.