PDA

View Full Version : What Will A Cobra Outdrive Swap With

freddy
07-28-2006, 06:31 PM
I just bought a 88 bayliner capri with a 5.0L and cobra outdrive. The upper is shot and the lower unit is probably shot as well. I am having a tough time finding afordable parts. I was thinking I might be able to swap out the cobra outdrive for something else. The question is what make and model will bolt up and what all would I have to change to get it going again?

thanks
Aaron

MOP
07-28-2006, 07:54 PM
You can try Ebay the standard Cobras show up pretty regular, like you said parts are expensive and somewhat scarce. The are no other drives that can be just slapped on, it would require a complete swap.

Phil

onesubdrvr
07-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Well,

Depends,

You can check this out

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/cobraconversion.htm#OMCSX

Swaps an OMC Cobra to a Volvo Penta SX (VERY good drive), kind of pricey, but the transom kit isn't bad, nor is the seawater kit, but their drive prices are a little high, I have a place locally where a drive can be picked up for $2500.00 (possibly less), I'd be happy to pick it up and have it shipped to you. So for about $3500.00 you can have a brand new Volvo drive, (if you do the work yourself), which would open up HP possibilities if you wanted.

Wayne