PDA

View Full Version : Going to see Miami Vice

Schnook
07-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Mrs. Schnook and I were driving home from dinner last nite. See turns to me and says, "Miami Vice starts this weekend". I said, "Yeah". She said, "We should go see it, it's got Donzis in it". Did I hit the jackpot or what! :biggrin:

CHACHI
07-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Mrs. Schnook and I were driving home from dinner last nite. See turns to me and says, "Miami Vice starts this weekend". I said, "Yeah". She said, "We should go see it, it's got Donzis in it". Did I hit the jackpot or what! :biggrin:Does she have a sister? Ken

need for speed
07-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Going tonight!!!:wink:

joel3078
07-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Going this weekend also.
We are going here first however. http://www.apostleislandspokerrun.com/

Ed Donnelly
07-28-2006, 10:48 AM
The sister-in-law is picking up the kids at 2 p.m. for an overnighter.
Wifey says lets go to the 4.10 and see Miami Vice..
What the hell does she want now???...Ed
Thinking she wants another Havanese(she has 9 now)

joel3078
07-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Thinking she wants another Havanese(she has 9 now)
That's a shiltload of doober patrol there buddy! :odie:

Ed Donnelly
07-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Joel; 9 Havanese equal 1 Great Dane Just not all in the same place:yes: ..Ed

Last Tango
07-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Jacksonville, FL, SEADOGs are gathering late Sunday afternoon to go watch the movie together. Meeting at 5:00 at the Steak and Shake, first, for bench racing and rumor control before we go to the movie at about 6:45.

Matt Sorgel, the local bard movie critic for the Florida Times-Union rag, panned it pretty hard. Gave it only one star, and in the area under "Who's it for:" his response was, "Go figure". Says the opening has no announcements, credits or lead-in. Just WHAM! in a bar scene. I fear the 14 minutes of boat racing with the camera coming slowly out of the water, may have been left behind on the cutting room floor. In fact, his rather lengthy and scathing rant makes no mention whatever of any boat scenes, or boats as a major story tool. Says the movie is a VERY HARD R Rating. Don't take the kiddies under any circumstances.

Perhaps the "directors cut" on DVD will restore the scenes we were hoping to see originally.

I will judge for myself, as M. Sorgel has often been WAAAY off the mark on these types of movies. He in NOT One Of Us.

Lineleader
07-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Saw it opening night.

Big disappointment.

ChromeGorilla
07-30-2006, 06:50 PM
I thought it was really good true grit drug underworld crime action stuff. Lots of bullets and sex and color and fast planes, cool boats (could always be more...). It was filmed in Hi Def. Which means fast and jouralistic style camera work. Vivid colors. Dont know what the disapointed ones are disapointed about. Cool film about sex drugs and rock and roll. IE Miami Vice... Four star out of five in my book. Ill buy the dvd! Look forward to the extra scenes! Not a kiddie or nicey nice film by any means. :convertib

I pretty much agree... I enjoyd it. Would the boat race scene been a better opening... abosolutely..... Did I still like the movie... absolutely....

Last Tango
07-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Movie sucked. My personal opinion. I was never a Miami Vice TV series lover, primarily because I missed most TV in the '80's because I was away on deployment in the Navy most of the 70' and 80's. So I don't have an opinion one way or the other about whether Michael Mann did a good job or bad job of portraying the characters or their hair doos. I was willing to ignore all that discussion, since I wasn't qualified to speak on it with actual knowlege of the original series. I just thought the whole movie sucked from start to finish. I'm not a blood and guts shoot 'em up movie-goer. I went because of the possibility of enjoying the boat scenes. But, unless you are an MTI fan, or into rusting Group IV freighters, there are only about 30 seconds of Donzi shots and about 4 seconds of those are interesting. The rest are just floaters... in the dark. Interesting that when the two boats ran side by side, one had the bow lights reversed. I guess that was so the camera men could tell them apart in the dark, not that it would have made any difference.
Maybe the DVD will have the stuff that never made it to the theater. And even then, I'm not going to rent it until someone here has already done so and saved me the $4.00. I've already wasted way too much money on this movie.

ChromeGorilla
07-30-2006, 09:59 PM
When did I miss the part about this being a boating movie? It is a movie about an undercover vice squad. I thought the amount of boating scenes was appropriate for the movie...... thats not to say the boat race scene would have been a million times better opening.......

I think all the boating internet boards hyped it up wayyyyy to much as a boating movie IMO.

Last Tango
07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
CG,
Snipe! Black Shoe! Twanger! I never said it was a boat movie, just that I was disappointed that so much of what we heard about before hand failed to make it to the theaters. I just don't care for these types of drug-runner movies in general, boats or no boats. I went solely based on the hype about the Donzi's, to a movie I would not have chosen anyway, and was further disappointed. That is all. No biggie. Your thing. Not my thing. I just was pretty excited about the original opening scene discussion. Knowing what I know now, if it was only lengthened by the original opening boat racing scene, I would have gone to the movie and left after the opening sequence and been very happy to report a positive experience.
I'm sure we can find plenty of other movies to disagree on. This is just one.
That is why they make so many different kinds of movies. To match up the opinions and a**holes.:pimp:

joel3078
07-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Saw it also and pretty much the same opinion. Cool movie, a bit of a letdown, wanted more boat scenes. However, I think the ones that really got 10" up the arse is Donzi as a company. They got very little bang for their marketing buck. Would this movie want me or sway me to buy a Donzi. NOPE! In fact, I wouldn't be suprised to see some schmuck journalist, critic, whatever, write up an article tying Donzi boats to drug running thus giving Donzi a black eye considering all the meth publicity that is out nowadays.

gcarter
07-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Saw it also and pretty much the same opinion. Cool movie, a bit of a letdown, wanted more boat scenes. However, I think the ones that really got 10" up the arse is Donzi as a company. They got very little bang for their marketing buck. Would this movie want me or sway me to buy a Donzi. NOPE! In fact, I wouldn't be suprised to see some schmuck journalist, critic, whatever, write up an article tying Donzi boats to drug running thus giving Donzi a black eye considering all the meth publicity that is out nowadays.
Speaking of Donzi boats, drugs, and Don.....
Have any of you seen this book?
The description seems a little negative.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220010824137&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

tiger lily
07-31-2006, 08:47 PM
what kind of cat boat was that??? looked like a MTI, but i could be wrong, im pretty sure that cat was in poker runs america like 5 months ago