PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion edition worth the extra $$$

new guy
07-28-2006, 12:05 AM
New here as the name implies but would like to know your thoughts on the 28ZX with the Scorpion package. Pros an cons. Is it worth the extra money? Are they really much faster than the 28ZX with standard twin 6.2's? Any an all information will gladly be accepted.

ChromeGorilla
07-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Depends on how much axtra.... and yes they are definately faster.... only you can decide..... good luck.

Ranman
07-28-2006, 07:47 AM
The Scorps are a sweet package. PSHP is 350 vs. 320 for the 6.2's. The extra 60PSHP will give ~ a 2MPH advantage to the Scorps. The cool factor is high though.

The thing that ruins them for me is the fact that they can only run on premium gas.

CHACHI
07-28-2006, 09:12 AM
not only that but they look cool as hell too :yes:Image is everything. ken

new guy
07-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Ok so besides the premium fuel issue are there any issues with them a person new to Donzi boats should look for before purchasing one? What happens if they are or have been run on less than Premium fuel. Pre detonation is my guess which is hard on piston tops. Anything else??? Is there any year that is better than another? What drives come on the scorpion edition, bravo I or the zx or ?????? I like the idea of them being alittle different than the standard 28ZX, not saying there is anything standard about the 28zx but you know what I mean. How many hours are these scorpion 377's good for before they need to be majored??? Thanks again to any an all replies.

RickSE
07-28-2006, 10:02 AM
I'd go for the Scorpions over the 6.2's. I believe the bottom ends of both motors are hand built and the 6.2's have some good componts but the Scorpions come out of Mercury Racing and are a way better motor. The motor should have a knock sensor that will back off on the timing if poor fuel is run through them. Everything I have shows that the Scorp. Edition came with B-1 drives; last listing I have was for 2004 model year and shows B-1's. Ted let me drive a Scorpion Edition 28ZX in Florida a few years ago and it was a blast, chine walk and all. From what I've heard its best to go 2001 or newer.

new guy
07-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks rick. Is the B1 a good drive? Do you have any idea how many hours they can go before they need to be overhauled?

Anything else you can think if would be great. Thanks for the info. The more information I have the easier the decision is to make.

Thank you

new guy
07-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Another question I have is do I find a scorpion edition or do I go with a standard 28zx with twin 6'2's an spend money on those making it as fast or faster than a scorpion edition? Do pro chargers shorten the life of motors like the 377 by much???

Thanks again for any an all help guys.

HeavyP
08-01-2006, 02:18 PM
I recently sold a 28ZX with twin Scorpions, and I give them 2 thumbs up. The horsepower for the Scorpion is 377 at the crankshaft, and I beleive the 6.2's are quoting crankshaft horsepower too. The 350 hp number for the Scorpion is propshaft horsepower, so you're really talking over 100 horsepower difference.

Another consideration is that the Scorpion option was an upgrade package to the boat. It included things like K planes, upgraded stereo, graphics, bolster rear bench and a few other things that I can't remember. I know when I priced the boat with all the options I wanted separately and then compared to the Scorpion package, it was almost like the engine upgrade was free. The point of all this rambling is make sure you compare apples to apples and check to see if the 6.2 boat is comparable as a whole.

Oh, and the Scorpions are really cool!