PDA

View Full Version : when a Donzi is not a Donzi??

joseph m. hahnl
07-27-2006, 05:24 PM
I have to say the 1990 GT180 bow rider is one of the slowest boats I've ever seen.
I camping on a small 1 mile dia lake. Ther are two of them on the lake. Well be it a small lake and some issues with the Minx fitting at the launch I brought the 13 whaler / Johnson 50 with 19 pitch. The Poor wanna be Donzi had no chance:shocking:It just one of those typical go slow boats. It was rather sad to see the Donzi insignia on it. So to make a long story short.
I Got the Minx inthe water and I restored the Legend of a true Donzi:yes:

joe

onesubdrvr
07-27-2006, 06:18 PM
I have to say the 1990 GT180 bow rider is one of the slowest boats I've ever seen.
I camping on a small 1 mile dia lake. Ther are two of them on the lake. Well be it a small lake and some issues with the Minx fitting at the launch I brought the 13 whaler / Johnson 50 with 19 pitch. The Poor wanna be Donzi had no chance:shocking:It just one of those typical go slow boats. It was rather sad to see the Donzi insignia on it. So to make a long story short.
I Got the Minx inthe water and I restored the Legend of a true Donzi:yes:
joe
Even though my Ragazza (older brother to the GT180) ONLY did 61, it could have beaten a couple of "classic" style stock donzi's,....

It's not the engine, it's the boat and the owner. Classic owners have always been the hot-rod types. My first ride in a Donzi was an 18 2+3 that my dad did some performance engine work on for the owner. They became best friends after that.

That GT180 COULD be made as fast and loud as your minx.

I guess my point being 1) look at fit and finish, that's part of being a Donzi too. 2) Live the mystique, any way you can afford to.

Wayne

joseph m. hahnl
07-27-2006, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=
That GT180 COULD be made as fast and loud as your minx.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry wayne, Never, ever even with a big block :( :It's just not a fast hull . by the way my Minx is wisper quiet:wink: .

joe

onesubdrvr
07-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Sorry wayne, Never, ever even with a big block :( :It's just not a fast hull . by the way my Minx is wisper quiet:wink: .
joe
My bad, I forgot you got the 600hp monster in there,...

Point being, Donzi is more than a name on a boat, it's the "marriage" between man and his Donzi built boat, and yes, while the Ragazza's, GT's, ZF's, etc. may not be as sexy as a classic or a ZR / ZX, People buy Donzi's for a reason that we should all respect.

And, yes, the 16* deadrise in the GT's / Ragazza make it a slower hull, and doesn't handle as good, but, I'd rather have my 5 year old spillin stuff in it, hauling a tube around, coolers for picnics / etc. than my X, and the WHOLE family enjoyed the Ragazza, they won't be able to go in the X (or a Minx or a 22) as a WHOLE family.

Sorry if those of us that have a non classic hull have shamed you and donzi

Wayne

onesubdrvr
07-27-2006, 08:33 PM
well first off i hope this is all in jest all though i don't see any smiley's like
;) :p so I hope this is tongue in cheek type stuff
usually there is more in common amongst the owners than just who's boat is fastest, people who really think that are really missing the point

Amen Matty, that is a fact :yes: I know at the few get - to - gethers I've gone to, boats / boating is just a SMALL portion of the conversations.

and yes I AM A CLASSIC STUCK UP ELITETIST SWINE, and I did give one sub a hard time about the regazza, i think he had and still has the spark and bug as we call it , that I never doubted i just was trying to stop him from trying to make the regazza something it was never meant to be. i think he'd admit to that now but sometimes our bug gets the best of us and each must know where they fit into the donzi story.

Swine? Well, if YOU say so :wink: Yes, I admit, especially now, I should have left the Ragazza how it was, and enjoyed it, just put in another V-6 when the 1st one crapped the bed, BUT, as you say, I had (and still have) the bug. For some of us with our normal obligations, both financially and otherwise, the bug can get to be an annoyance, but none the less, as you say, we must know where we fit into the story, and for some of us it takes a little time and soul searching :yes: [/QUOTE]

It's more about the person behind the wheel than it is about the boat :) and I have surfed the wakes of some of the fastest guys out there with my slow small boat and never even in jest was anything like this said????
so the question is Joe are you a Donzi owner or just some guy who owns a Donzi????????
Well, I like to think of myself as a Donzi Owner :crossfing :wink: And I still contend that there is no finer group of boaters around :yes:

Joe, We'll meet up someday, I'll buy the first couple of rounds, and lets talk about anything but boats,....babysteps!! :yes: :wink: :)

Wayne

Cuda
07-27-2006, 11:06 PM
so the question is Joe are you a Donzi owner or just some guy who owns a Donzi????????
Sounds to me like he is a Whaler owner. :)

cobra
07-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Simple answer; when it doesn't say Donzi on it, duh!
I:crossfing not to ever run accross a fellow Donzi owner that:rolleyes: at me. I have one of those "fake" Donzis also, the GT230. I know it's not the sexy hot-rod Donzi is most known for, but it's a sweet boat. Stock 351 pushing a hair shy of 50 aint bad for this size boat. I've slept in, fished in, partied in, and uhh hhmm well...let's just say had "intimate fun" on her. All my friends love this boat. I keep her looking and running right. Being a west coastie I rarely see another Donzi, but the couple times I have I've gotten the brotherly wave even though they had the hot-rods. I think THAT'S a Donzi guy, or maybe just good boating manners.?. Maybe boats like mine discredit the name to some. I guess if you're relying on the name of the boat to make you look good you wouldn't want "us" around making it look like just another boat. I'm a speed junki and would love to have a go-fast, but there's alot of other things that can be done having fun with a boat. When the weather's bad do you run & hide, wait for the good season? I just raise the enclosure & keep on motoring. When you wanna go somewhere far for a weekend do you start with reservations? I just throw a pillow (or two) in the berth. I've pulled off 2 person weekends at Catalina Island and Havasu comfortably on my little 230. With the built in ice chests and stove we were set and got to eat real food too. An all-around boat can give lots of satisfaction, and more options on the water. Someone needs to just:beer: and :chillpill We all have our own wants & needs from our boats and should try to have a little respect for the other guy, or a least shut up about it. I'd hate to have to :uzi: a fellow boater.:)
BTW how do you get into the cabin on a minx when it's bed time? The opening looks so darn small.:confused:

Cuda
07-28-2006, 12:51 AM
BTW how do you get into the cabin on a minx when it's bed time? The opening looks so darn small.:confused:
Here's another simple answer for bedtime. I dock at the quay at the Hyatt, then take the elevator to the fifth floor, and slide the electronic key in it.

If I ever spend a night on a boat, it's because I broke down.

Carl C
07-28-2006, 09:03 AM
A regazza is every bit as much a Donzi as a 38ZR w/Sterlings(which will make our beloved Classics look like wanna-bes by this logic).:) The wanna-be Donzis are the copies by Baja, Laser, etc. JM2cents:boat:

Cuda
07-28-2006, 09:55 AM
They go through the same chit about Harleys, what is, and isn't a Harley. Not only the Amf bikes, but even their latest creation, the V Rod is not considered a Harley by the supposed "bikers". I could give two chits what they think anyway. I sold my Harley, and would much rather ride my Suzuki anyway, and Debbie still has her non-Harley V Rod.

Ed Donnelly
07-28-2006, 10:37 AM
If its made by Donzi, it is a Donzi
If the classic owners stick their noses up in the air over the less expensive models, think about it. Maybe they can't afford the Classic.
Does that mean the owners of the $200,000 plus Donzis should snub the way cheaper classics?? Drive it and enjoy it, its a Donzi..

P.S. Cuda; If it is built by Harley, it is a Harley. When the V Rod first came out, I was the first to say, its not a real Harley.
A Bud of mine bought one and I took it for a ride.....WOW
Just see what they are doing at the drags,beautiful engineering,and very fast...Ed

P.P.S. I bought a 1999 Sportster 1200 and all my buds asked why I brought my wifes bike for the ride.. Caved in to the peer pressure and bought a 2000 FXST the next year...Ed

jwlester
07-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Along these lines but on a bit of a tangent....I have had the donzi bug for a few years now and have been looking. A 22 is what I/we want but the wife says if I do that I have to get rid of at least one car and a motorcycle. I don't think I'm ready to do that but we need a boat so we can stop borrowing friends'. Right now we are in the ball park of a cheap used bowrider. If I could keep it in the donzi family I would love that. What are the opinions on the regazzas? What about the 4cyl? Will it pull a skier ok with a light load? ON the flipside...would people recommend any particular other bowrider to use as a bandaid until I can get the real fix(22C)? Thanks for the help...I have learned so much lurking here over the last couple years. You guys really are a great group. Hope to see you on the water soon....

Cheers, Josh

PS...I'm in the Lake Norman area(NC)

HamrenDan
07-28-2006, 12:32 PM
I have always lovedl the lines of my z-22 ever since I saw my first one on Ebay that I wanted to buy.. the boat is sleek.. its got a big block.. it cuts through the chop, which on Lake Tahoe is a nice feature.. I remember airing out the Classic my family had when I was in high school all the time.. it slammed in to the waves with bone shattering force.. but the 454 and italian paint job with the #44 on the side made heads turn... it was SWEET!!!.. Ok now I am old enough to have my own boat... yeah I am not gonna spend alot..$12g to date... but I think i have a helluva boat.. especially for that price.

Hey you bring happiness with you.... we were looking at a booze cruise ship on the lake last night.. My brother in law was like " thats stupid".. I said that would be fun.. check out the betties, drink cheap run in Mai Tai's and have a hang over that you would never forget....

It just goes to show you one persons stupid idea is anothers fun night out..

Off topic.. I have seen 2 Donzis on my first day up here in Tahoe.. A Red Classic 18 maybe a 20 speeding along up here on the North Shore near Carnelian Bay, and the Regazza that has been here for years on a bouy.

:shark:

Over and out from Lake Tahoe

Cuda
07-28-2006, 04:46 PM
P.P.S. I bought a 1999 Sportster 1200 and all my buds asked why I brought my wifes bike for the ride.. Caved in to the peer pressure and bought a 2000 FXST the next year...Ed
One of my best buddies I've known for thirty years is the one that finally talked me into buying a bike. He has a Duce, and his brother had a 1200 Sporty. He didn't like it much when the 1200 was pulling away from him. If it wasn't for the Sporty during the lean years, there wouldn't even still be a Harley Davidson.

I certainly don't look down on a Regazza, whatever suits your needs better is great. Deb and I wanted just a stripped down basically non functional hot rod boat, which is exactly what we got with the Minx and the 22. :)

onesubdrvr
07-28-2006, 05:09 PM
I certainly don't look down on a Regazza, whatever suits your needs better is great. Deb and I wanted just a stripped down basically non functional hot rod boat, which is exactly what we got with the Minx and the 22. :)
Well, now Joe, I must share your secret,....

it is infact that Joe "No Bimini Here" Cuda had offered to trade me the Minx, the VRod, and the Formula for the worlds fastest Ragazza,.....I guess he was just kinda awe struck :wink: :yes: :lightning

Wayne

jwlester
07-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Anyone have any insight on my comments? Subdriver...I'll have to see if I can catch up with you next time I'm in your neck of the woods. I'm working on a component replacement project there at the Nuclear facility. I am down there for meetings with FP&L all the time and will probably be moving there during the outage in a year. I'm an engineer with AREVA here in Charlotte. Anyway...thanks guys.

Cheers, Josh

onesubdrvr
07-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Anyone have any insight on my comments? Subdriver...I'll have to see if I can catch up with you next time I'm in your neck of the woods. I'm working on a component replacement project there at the Nuclear facility. I am down there for meetings with FP&L all the time and will probably be moving there during the outage in a year. I'm an engineer with AREVA here in Charlotte. Anyway...thanks guys.
Cheers, Josh
Hmm,

I REALLY like the ZB21, sharper V hull, more made for speed, but hard to find.

I really liked my 21' Ragazza BR too. A Ragazza or GT Series can be found for a good deal, find one in good shape and use it like it is until your ready for the classic.

What I like is what I'm doing now,.....I'm looking for a pontoon boat and am working on my X-18 (or will be really soon). The X will be parked in the garage (daddy's toy), and the Pontoon for full family outings.

OR, you could find a 24' Donzi Deck boat (99 or newer), and make it a sleeper, it's been done once (wolf in sheeps clothing), and has caught alot of people attention.

OR, When you move down here, you can get a pontoon / deck boat, and you and I can trade weekends, or even better, go boating together, pick one of the spoil islands, park the boats, have a BBQ, and spin the X around the river.

Definately look me up when your down here

PM me for more ideas!!:yes:

Wayne

cutwater
07-28-2006, 09:21 PM
when it's an Imperial Donzi? :wink:

Ed Donnelly
07-29-2006, 07:46 AM
JohnB; That would have been a sweet 16 for sale in Imperial MO a few years ago...Ed

faverod
07-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I've got a 1998 3250 LXC which I love dearly. I think it has one of the best layouts of it's size and it handles chop like a champ. Everytime I take it out I get compliments on it and most people stop and stare at it while it's tied up to the dock just to look it over and ask questions about it. The name Donzi is one that people recognize but one that most have never seen. I don't consider myself part of the go fast crowd but for a 33' boat I've seen 53 mph on the GPS before.

Formula Jr
07-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Being basicly boys, we love the clean shearlines of the classics and other exotic looking boats. I love Onesubdrvrs approch. A 60+ MPH Regazza.
And I love the concept of the "sleeper." If you're going to hot rod a boat, it might as well be a Donzi. The interior of these milk toast OMC boats may not stand up, but the hull will. You just have to be prepared to go throught the whole thing and make it more stout. Bolts, backing plates, and nailing things down. You would have to do that with any other boat. They were not designed to take what the classics are designed to take.
Thats why the classics are so simple. There is less to break. And what little there is to break, we seem to find that anyway.
Yet you can make one that can take the abuse. They just don't come that way. The Regazzas are good "all around" boats and are pretty inexpensive to pick up. Drop a 502 in one with a bravo and that single guy with the tank top and chains with the Baha that saw easy meat might be surprised when you wave and pass him with your whole family aboard.

boldts
07-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Along the lines of sleepers, I believe it was AOTH 2 where the dealer brought one of those 23' Deck Boats built by Donzi. We've always welcomed all makes of Donzi boats so I thought it was cool to have a family version boat in attendance. Anyway, came time to leave and they asked us to bring the boat over to the launch ramp for them. That darn thing had thru hull exhaust. I'm sitting in an 18 Classic which was cool also, but I was longing to be in that deck boat. It was different and sounded so cool. I've always been a fan of wolves in sheeps clothing. I had a Chevelle with a tri-power under the hood and it was so much fun opening the hood to show the big block guy what just beat him down the 1/4 mile. Any longer though and I was toast. :)

BTW, the Minx came in the OMC days. Doesn't make it any less a Donzi. Step back and see the big picture. If you don't sell what the people want, your company goes under. It's that way in the boating industry also.

joseph m. hahnl
08-03-2006, 04:06 PM
:) :) :wink: :wink: Yes!!! at the time I smoked the the 180 I was indeed in a Whaler. Which there for at that specific moment I was a Whaler man:eek!: .

I made no refferance to a Reggaza and Wayne if your Reggazza could beat my little 13 "As it should be" Then you do have a true Donzi:yes: .

The 180 has it's place yes, but it is no legend and it never will be.
you can argue about it all you want that you could pump thousands of dollars to make it go fast. "For What?" "Why Bother"? I have come to a conclusion that some of us aren't really happy owning a Donzi and feel the need to allways make it better some how. I am happy with my boat just the way it is :wink: . As long as it runs .:yes: :crossfing .
Yes: the owners of these 2 boats are Fellow Buds .They are happy with there boats the way they are, and use them in the manner that they were intended for. :yes: :yes:

I will leave it at this I do not considor the Gt 180 substandard in any way.
"That it is any less of a Donzi in Quality". It serves it function perfectly.
" Carl you should by one it comes with a usable Birth":wink:

I can't tell you how many times I have gone blowing by the Bayliners and 4 Winns in the Whaler.People allways seem to get pissed off and jellous.
So it would seem that being the fastest or as fast is important to most people.Most Donzi Owners:eek!:

Even though I never compared the Gt 180 to my Minx some how she got dragged into it. Oh Yah : "I said She Restored the Legend". She is so super sexy that even just floating the legend of the name Donzi is etched :lightning in the hearts of all that see her.

joe