PDA

View Full Version : Dammit! Ten minutes late

Cuda
07-26-2006, 09:59 PM
I've been talking to a guy for a couple days about buying an engine he had. I had the numbers checked out (Thanks Ted), and they were right. I decided earlier this evening to go ahead and buy it. I've been sitting around bs'ing with Debbie and her friend, because I knew the guy was on the west coast, and it wouldn't be late there. I just now called him and told him I'd take the engine. He said another fellow had just ten minutes ago told him he'd take it. I wanted a big surprise for the Home Town Rally. Now I'm all deflated. :(

On the brighter side, if there is one, I talked to a great builder in NY who is a friend of mine who said he knew where there is an Hp 500 that he had built up to about 610 on the dyno, that a buddy of his had sitting, that I could probably pick up for about 4 grand. It's the long block, intake, and carb, I'd just need to bolt on exhaust and my accessories that I already have. I may end up going that route, but it wouldn't be ready for 'Sota I don't think.

The guy with the SC said the other guy was fired up to get it, but that the owner was going to be out of town for a few days, and the other buyer might get impatient. If he does, he promised he'd call me first.

Damnit! If I hadn't been sitting around, this thing would be headed east. :(

Cuda
07-26-2006, 10:07 PM
I guess now I'll continue working on the Cuda Racing 454Hp.:)

gold-n-rod
07-26-2006, 10:33 PM
In my vast experience, when deals go to ****, it's because there's something better just waiting to happen. Chin up.... something better's just around the corner, you just haven't found it yet.

:wavey:

blackhawk
07-26-2006, 10:56 PM
And you never know the other guy may back out! Before I bought my blackhawk I sat and pondered it for a few days. Finally came to an agreement on numbers but I told him I wanted to think about one more night. The next day I decided I was doing it. Well, someone had called that morning and they were on there way to buy it. I said if something happens call me. 6 hours later he called and said it was mine if I wanted it. I picked it up the next day! So, you never know!

Lenny
07-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Joe, regardless of how the engine deal works out,... I "LIKE" the way you are thinking :D

Cuda
07-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Hey, at least if I don't get the blower motor, I won't have to cut the hatch that I just paid over $600 to have a blower hatch taken out of it. :)

tmdog
07-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Cuda, Intake looks good. Did you use zinc chromate for the base coat? Second coat looks like a primer , than the finish coat. Really looks good. Jim

RedDog
07-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Would the SC require cutting a big hole in your hatch?

Cuda
07-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Cuda, Intake looks good. Did you use zinc chromate for the base coat? Second coat looks like a primer , than the finish coat. Really looks good. Jim
Yes, the second coat is white engine enamel, and the top coat is a Duplicolor I bought at Walmart. I read a post on Oso that said this combination came out looking just like Merc Blue.

Cuda
07-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Would the SC require cutting a big hole in your hatch?
See post six. :)

Cuda
07-27-2006, 12:40 PM
I cleaned it all real well with Xlene first, blew it off with air, painted it with Duplicolor self etching primer, then a coat of Metalcast White engine enamel, then Duplicolor Anodized Blue, which I read will give you almost exactly the Merc Blue color. It actually looks better than the pictures. Crappy lighting in my workshop.