PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this happen?

gcarter
07-26-2006, 08:58 AM
These are pics of one of my muffler cans and two mounting studs.
What do y'all think.

mrfixxall
07-26-2006, 09:53 AM
someone over tighhtened the studs and or the motor mounts are loose..If your motor mounts are loose or worn out (the rubber in themounts,up and down motion)...usually the lower two studs will brake if the mounts were worn...

MOP
07-26-2006, 11:00 AM
George measure up new spots to drill through drill for the bolt size and tap for bolts, you will need an extention and a socket as using the T handle is a pain. Buy bolts long enough to go through cut the heads off and thread the ends, install with "Red Loc-tite. As M&M said they were over tightened or your mounts are flexing, if you change out to the blue neoprene hose they will no longer flex as the blue stuff is super flexable.

Phil

MOP
07-26-2006, 11:02 AM
A-P.S. Snug bolts then take 1/2 and let the sealer cure they will be fine!

mrfixxall
07-26-2006, 02:00 PM
George measure up new spots to drill through drill for the bolt size and tap for bolts, you will need an extention and a socket as using the T handle is a pain. Buy bolts long enough to go through cut the heads off and thread the ends, install with "Red Loc-tite. As M&M said they were over tightened or your mounts are flexing, if you change out to the blue neoprene hose they will no longer flex as the blue stuff is super flexable.
Phil

mop,i dont think you can through bolt them???? those are the muffler style tips that have the baffels welded in them and i dont think theirs enuff meat on the edge to thread or tap to install a stud...
correct me if im wrong?

gcarter
07-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Let me interject here.....
Apparently the manufacturer uses a stud spot welder to attach the studs to a ring. The ring is then plug welded to the inside of the can before the baffles are welded in. You can see the plug welds in the picture. I don't know how thick the internal ring is, but I should be able to drill it and tap for new studs.....lots of drill bits and lots of taps!!:eek!:
Or I could get someone to weld the studs back in. If I can find a good welder.

mrfixxall
07-26-2006, 06:42 PM
thease on ebay for ya,cheep too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORSA-THRU-HULL-BOAT-MARINE-SILENCER-EXHAUST-TIPS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31285QQihZ007QQite mZ170011363465QQrdZ1