PDA

View Full Version : Imco lower, 1" or xtreme 1 1/4"?

Sofa King
07-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Gonna replace my lower, any real advantage with the 1 1/4" prop shaft? Worth an xtra $400?

TY
Arip

Sofa King
07-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Well fellas which one do I get and is 2" the correct shorty for the 22 classic?

TY
Arip

Pismo
07-25-2006, 08:23 PM
The guy who rigged the blue Shelby 22 with an HO at the Miami Show told me 2" was a bit too much and that a 1" shimmed to 1"-1.5" would be perfect. They raised the whole engine 2". But I think experimenting with props may get a 2" to work well. Steering may be an issue as well.

roadtrip se
07-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Rip,

I would go with the stock one inch shaft, unless you have a heavy duty upper, like a Teague or XR. I ran the 1 1/4 shaft connected to my standard Bravo upper and blew the upper gearing. Can't say this was the exact reason for the failure, but I now have the XR upper with the the XR lower prop shaft. If you have the intent of going beyond stock power, I would look at the beefier upper and lower, but that is common sense.

I am running the 2-inch shortie behind a 500EFI. I attribute the shortie for giving me 3-5 mph of the gain I acheived with the engine upgrade. I typically turn props in the 27-29 inch range, but I can't attribute the shortie alone for the bigger props. You will have to test, which is all part of the fun.

I love the way the boat runs and handles with this drive. It does want to run flatter than it did with the stock drive, so transom lifting props like the Bravo One turn the boat into a handling disaster. You will have to take your time putting the boat on plane or simply sit there and spin the wheel, if you try to hole shot it. Steering isn't an issue. Porpise can be in the mid-range, but I had this with the Classic before the leg change, and it is easily corrected with trim. The CG discussion is a non-event in my eyes, because the engine sits at the level that it always has.

Finally, the show-off factor is way high earning me nicknames like "Rooster-boy". The reality is that when you get this thing trimmed at the high-end, the water does start to fly, and you aren't going to sneak up on anybody. I like it!

Sofa King
07-26-2006, 04:49 PM
TY for the 411 Roadtrip, Do you think i'd still p/u 3-4 mph if I went with the one inch shorty. I like my hole shots :)

Aripper