PDA

View Full Version : Close to finishing engine mounting...

Jamesbon
07-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Last night, I made a final check of the engine alignment, then clamped on the aluminum angles to the stringers where they were lined up with the solid plate motor mounts, then removed the engine and drilled the holes for the mounting bolts. Tell me how you feel after drilling sixteen 7/16" holes through 1/2" aluminum and stringers....Glad I'm done with that!

After all of the holes were drilled, I took out the angle aluminum so I can clean up the edges, prime and paint tonight. Once dried later today, I'll mount'em back in the boat and do a final prep of the engine for mounting. I have a couple little pain the ass things to take care of before dropping her in for good. TYhere's a fitting on the tranny which is leaking ever so slightly and I noticed my engine oil filter had a drop of oil on the bottom. I'll try figure that stuff out and get this damn thing together.

Oh well, here's a couple pics of the roughed in product from last night.

ChromeGorilla
07-25-2006, 02:25 PM
"Close" is a relative term.... hell Christmas is "close" too.....:D

Glad to see your moving forward..... have fun!

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
07-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Don't forget to seal the wood in the bolt holes you just drilled through your stringers with some epoxy resin! An ounce of prevention.........

Eric

Jamesbon
07-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks fellas.

Whats the best method to seal those bolt holes without making a complete mess?

mrfixxall
07-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks fellas.
Whats the best method to seal those bolt holes without making a complete mess?
1 mask off the transm with masking tape..

2 use a bolt and the washers your gonna use and poke through the bolt holes.

3 cut around the washers with a exacto knife.

4 remove the tape around the holes you cut with the knife and leave the reat of the tape on the transm.

5 i wouldnt use 5200,youll never get it apart again,,i use lifeseal from boat us and it cleans up real easy..

6 wait about a hour and trim arond the washers with the exacto knife again and peel off the masking take.

7 DONE nice clean job....