PDA

View Full Version : skeg repair/replacement

BADABINGJR
07-25-2006, 12:17 PM
searched the post on this, doesn't seem to be too much info on this....

i want to replace the skeg on my TRS. I have a welder in-house with a tig, who'd i'd like to do the job. my questions are;

1. where can i find a replacement skeg (kit) ?

2. what tips or tricks do i need to know. from what i read, there is an isue about disassembling the whole lower unit. is that becuase the heat will melt seals, etc...? any tricks to get around that?

DonziJon
07-25-2006, 12:29 PM
My local MerCruiser dealer has a cardboard box under the bench, full of skeg "blanks". He just files to fit, welds them on, grinds them back and paints them. I asked them about Heat, but I can't remember what they said. Didn't seem like a big deal. John

mrfixxall
07-25-2006, 12:43 PM
searched the post on this, doesn't seem to be too much info on this....
i want to replace the skeg on my TRS. I have a welder in-house with a tig, who'd i'd like to do the job. my questions are;
1. where can i find a replacement skeg (kit) ?
2. what tips or tricks do i need to know. from what i read, there is an isue about disassembling the whole lower unit. is that becuase the heat will melt seals, etc...? any tricks to get around that?

It depends on how far the skeg is damaged..First i warmed mine up with a map torch and wire wheeled it to get to the clean alunimum then i stuck the lower unit in one of those huge freezers for a few days and then took it out and wire wheeled it again and welded the speg on with a spool gun...Its been 8 yrs and havnt had any seal problems yet.....

fegettes
07-25-2006, 03:45 PM
In my earlier years, I was running one of those "clamp-on" motors and had one of those "learning" experiences. I had a skeg/foot replaced/welded on. The optimum would be to strip the lower unit down and then weld the skeg/foot on. However, this can be done without a tear-down. Aluminum transfers heat very very fast and can damage the seals. By using a soaking wet towel wrapped around the gear housing to keep the unit cool helps. And then there is a pressure test you can perform on the out drive to check the seals. It is not much pressure. If I remember correctly, it was around 12-15 psi. A shop should be able to verify that. And of course, change the oil.

Sofa King
07-25-2006, 04:09 PM
My local guy here charges an average of $175 painted. Just put that money in the IMCO shorty. :wink:

Arip

synack
07-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Shipshape boating did a show on it a while back.

Here's the 4 part procedure procedure: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/bo_maintenance_repair/article/0,2021,DIY_13718_2278646,00.html

Supposedly Bob's Machine shop has cast replacement skegs for between $15 and $20 depending on drive and HP. http://www.bobsmachine.com/products/skeg_replacement.cfm

Sofa King
07-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Hoagies and grinders hoagies and grinders navy beans navy beans :anchor:

Sloppy Joe