PDA

View Full Version : Cooked Outdrive Alpha 1 GenII

Diesel Dog
07-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi All
I think I cooked my outdrive. Talked to my Dealer to day and he said about $3000 for a complete rebuild:eek!:
I took a look on ebay and there are two sellers who have replacements for my Alpha 1Gen II for $1395:lightning with free shipping.
Has anyone used or know of anyone who has used one of these replacement drives, are they junk, can they hold up to the way we run our boats?
Thanks Bill

gcarter
07-25-2006, 10:51 AM
I put one on my Minx, and I've had good success. It whined for the first ten hours, but that's no big surprize.
IMHO, I'd buy direct from the supplier in Clearwater, FL rather than the dealer on eBay. I did, the price is the same, but you pay shipping. I called and ordered one day and I received it two days later.
My only complaint is the paint is brittle and chips easily, no primer.
Check out;
www.sterndrive.cc

Diesel Dog
07-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Thank you George:)

Speed-Racer
07-25-2006, 07:05 PM
I went threw 3 of them in a 2 weeks:mad:...There currently is one hangin off the back of the 16, but if we could do it over we'd spend a little more money and buy a Merc.:yes:

tmdog
07-26-2006, 08:35 AM
When my Alpha 1 blew the upper gears I replaced the upper and lower from Sterndrive engineering Clearwater. Had 4 hrs on the new drive at AOTH in Kentucky. Ran the boat hard on that 80 mile roundtrip up river. The drive held up except for a discolored top cap, which means the drive did overheat. Cured that problem when I got home by installing a drive shower. It' warranted for a year and is a good buy. Would do again.

mikev
07-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Dumb question but since its a direct replacement can you use merc parts on it like seals and impellers that you can get anywhere or do you have to order them from the manufacturer?

gcarter
07-26-2006, 02:23 PM
As I understand it, many of the parts are interchangeable. They are just getting into offering parts. They are probably (but I don't know for sure) cheaper than Merc parts. For sure the external parts are interchangeable, i.e.,shafts, U-joints, etc.

Diesel Dog
07-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Hey Speed
Were the drives you replaced Alpha 1 or Alpha 1 Gen II ?
TmDog Did you put Mercruiser sticker on your replacement drive?:boggled:

Sam
07-27-2006, 03:12 PM
tmdog, you have way to much money and or time (LOL), nice red powder coat on the drive shower :wink: .

Sam

tmdog
07-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Hey Speed
Were the drives you replaced Alpha 1 or Alpha 1 Gen II ?
TmDog Did you put Mercruiser sticker on your replacement drive?:boggled:

Yep, got complete set of decals off e-bay.

tmdog
07-28-2006, 07:57 AM
tmdog, you have way to much money and or time (LOL), nice red powder coat on the drive shower :wink: .
Sam

"Time", Trust me it's winding down. "Money", never enough. Just enough to make my family comfortable.
If you are running a Alfa Drive, it's advisable to install a shower, which I recently found out. Tooling around on Lake Lanier on any given day with moderate running I didn't think the drive needed extra cooling. Was I ever wrong. Never too late to learn. Thanks to the Board.