PDA

View Full Version : A must read for trailer guys!

MOP
07-25-2006, 09:27 AM
I did my annual wheel pull and bearing adjustment just before 1K, on the way up I was slinging grease out of the caps munging up the wheels. I know I did not over grease them, while I was up there I ran into another old timer mech. He noticed the messy wheels and gave me a fool proof fix which I will do as soon as my nasty back allows me.
Pull the caps/bearing buddies what ever carefully clean the inner lip of the hub in about 1/4" inch with acetone also clean the caps insertion lip. Now take a tooth pick and apply a thin coat of silicone to both surfaces, put them back together and let them sit over night before re greasing the hubs. It will not only keep the grease in but will also keep you from losing your bearing buddies.

I wish I had thought of it, it has to be one of the best tips for us trailer guys!

mrfixxall
07-25-2006, 09:33 AM
I did my annual wheel pull and bearing adjustment just before 1K, on the way up I was slinging grease out of the caps munging up the wheels. I know I did not over grease them, while I was up there I ran into another old timer mech. He noticed the messy wheels and gave me a fool proof fix which I will do as soon as my nasty back allows me.
Pull the caps/bearing buddies what ever carefully clean the inner lip of the hub in about 1/4" inch with acetone also clean the caps insertion lip. Now take a tooth pick and apply a thin coat of silicone to both surfaces, put them back together and let them sit over night before re greasing the hubs. It will not only keep the grease in but will also keep you from losing your bearing buddies.
I wish I had thought of it, it has to be one of the best tips for us trailer guys!

good idea,ive been doing that for years...even on most of the 2wd trucks and vans also...Ive also seen some of the newer style buddy bearings have a o ring on the outter lip...

Just Say N20
07-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to be towing my boat from Michigan to Upstate New York in three weeks, and I hate having the hubs look all nasty. I too, am always careful about not overfilling the bearing buddies, so I have been perplexed about where the grease was coming from. I also use the rubber caps that fit over the top of the bearing buddies.

It will be a good reason to check out the bearings before embarking on a 1,300 mile adventure.

penbroke
07-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks Phil. It seems obvious now that you mention it. :boggled:

Frank
Now where did I put that scrapbook...

joel3078
07-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Next time you rebuild your hubs and you are replacing the inner hub seal, use double lip seals. Most trailer come new with single lip seals only. The double lips do a much better job of keeping grease in/water out and they don't cost much more. Most of the hub rebuild kits also only have single lip inner seals. Double lips have just that, two lips on the seal and a spring between the lips.

http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/grease-seals.html
Redline is the brand I use. Notice it is a horse trailer website. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a broken down horse trailer on the side of the road? Hardly ever! They are more heavy duty, better tires, seals, etc. NOBODY wants a horse trailer breakdown with horses stored on the side of road. A boat can cook in the sun on the side of a road. Horses can't!

Sofa King
07-25-2006, 01:51 PM
What is the hose attachment hanging on the side of my trailer, fresh water flush for the bearings I take it?

TY
Arip

need for speed
07-25-2006, 02:19 PM
that would be for you brakes .. but you dont have to have that just wash them out anyways.. good to have

BUIZILLA
07-25-2006, 02:25 PM
If you blow in it real, real hard, it will set the brakes like a parking brake...

try it....

:wink:

ChromeGorilla
07-25-2006, 02:27 PM
LOL... I tell ya... old people get funnier as they get older.......:yes: :D

boatnut
07-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Notice it is a horse trailer website. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a broken down horse trailer on the side of the road? Hardly ever! They are more heavy duty, better tires, seals, etc. NOBODY wants a horse trailer breakdown with horses stored on the side of road. A boat can cook in the sun on the side of a road. Horses can't!
Maybe it is also because very few cowboys back their trailer in the water
(which washes grease out of bearings) and let the horses swim out :wink:

mrfixxall
07-25-2006, 03:11 PM
believe it or not ,,heres who i use..funny name tho

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/

joel3078
07-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Maybe it is also because very few cowboys back their trailer in the water
(which washes grease out of bearings) and let the horses swim out :wink:

WTF - can horses swim, yaknow like that dog paddle thing? :confused:

ChromeGorilla