PDA

View Full Version : Black Hawk on a Classic 16?

Jimmy Norman
07-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Has anybody tried a Black Hawk drive on a Classic 16? Any ideas if it would work? I'm concerned about the prop depth, but also about the suitability of the hull shape (as the 22 Black Hawk has a modified hull) and the weight difference compared to an Alpha drive. Also, are there any other counter-rotating surface drives? Other considerations and ideas welcome. Thanks, Jimmy

RedDog
07-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Has anybody tried a Black Hawk drive on a Classic 16? Any ideas if it would work? I'm concerned about the prop depth, but also about the suitability of the hull shape (as the 22 Black Hawk has a modified hull) and the weight difference compared to an Alpha drive. Also, are there any other counter-rotating surface drives? Other considerations and ideas welcome. Thanks, Jimmy

Interesting question I haven't heard before....

I bet it would be wild ride - looking forward to responses

MOP
07-24-2006, 10:03 PM
I bet it would work out great if done right, proper X and a stock 300Hp should give low 80's, the hook is out of the water at speed and the 16 has plenty of bow lift in fact almost to much. The handling should be much improved over a single prop set up, no chine walk and probably no porpoise with the raised X. When I ran the BH on my 22 I was super happy with the handling which was far superior to the BravoX that is on it now, Think about snapping it into a turn and not having it roll up onto its ear in either direction, much flatter turns with -0- spooky twitches. I also have been thinking about bolting my BH onto a 16, just need some extra scratch!

Phil

Mr X
07-25-2006, 06:18 AM
Something like this outta work. :eek!:

DonCig
07-25-2006, 07:09 AM
For what it is worth, here are some excerpts from the actual Mercury documents on the Blackhawk drive:

The Blackhawk Drive is designed to operate with the propeller shafts running parallel to the water surface. The boat should be designed to run with a minimum wetted surface without porpoising at wide-open-throttle (W.O.T.). To achieve this, “Delta-Pads”, “Notches”, or “Steps” are often used.

It Should Not be used on boats that have a “Hook” in the back of the boat (which would lift the stern of the boat and drop the bow.)

The Blackhawk Drive Unit uses an “X” – Dimension that is 3 inches (76mm) higher than the standard dimension used for the Bravo One Drive Unit (See “Transom Cutout” section in this manual for further information).

5. Blackhawk Drive Unit: Should be mounted 3 in. (76mm) higher than the Standard “X” Dimension that is shown for the Bravo Drive Unit. This is a starting point only. Because of the wide variety of hull configurations, the proper “X” Dimension can only be determined thru testing. Through testing, “X” Dimension can be increased in small increments until desired performance is achieved. In no case should it ever be increased by more than 1-1/2 in. (37 mm) maximum.

In ALL stern drive applications, extreme care should be taken when raising drive unit to ensure that water supply does not become aerated. Use clear water inlet hose to monitor incoming water and monitor engine temperature gage to ensure engine does not overheat.

Mr X
07-25-2006, 07:31 AM
where's Mr. Davis when we need him :lookaroun
Trust me, he has seen the photos. He is never far away. :wink:

MOP
07-25-2006, 08:59 AM
I think it would make into the low 80's, reason I nave run next to Steve's 18 on a few runs. He runs almost flat with little to no bow lift similar to the problem George ran into with the A drive. Both George & Steve needed a decent chop to make their best speeds, George got past that problem with the Arneson Rockers we all know what a tremenous difference that made by getting some decent lift. The 16 with a standard setup rides bow high, as proven by the need for tabs to tame it. With the added weight of the BH I feel it will have enough lift to do very well, the issue of the outer hook between the chine and the first strake will have no effect at speed as it is above the water flow. Steve's 18 comes very close to 80 riding flat and being 200lbs. heavier, the 16 should be a win win package.