PDA

View Full Version : AE #02 in MADCAW Waters

BaldEagle
07-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Sat. evening the boat arrived at Spring Lake, MI. It was bit late, 10 hrs. due to mechanical problems of the transporter, but not so late that DonziBlue, my 10 year old, and I didnt get it out for a quick run. Started up with a little coaxing and sounded like a DC-3 radial engine. Very nice with the stock cans. Also has a high pitched wine like a turbo, which it doesnt have, when it spools up. I think its the air going through the engine hatch scoop. Everythintg went well, just needs a little cleanup. First thing I did Sunday is replace the 4 blade Bravo 24P with a 3 blade Mirage+25P. Flipper has left building. Porpoising is all but eliminated at 45mph and below. We got a few surprises, had a Stereo, was mounted under the dash on the port side, and the standard painted alum. windscreen. Looking to put some tab indicators on it if anyone has a suggestion. Have some Bennett LEDs on my 18 but a bit difficlut to see bright conditions. I was just starting to get the hang of my 18 and find I am starting over again.

gold-n-rod
07-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Awesome, Jeff. You the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy.

I am awaiting my first ride.

roadtrip se
07-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Nice!

Mr X
07-24-2006, 03:15 PM
"First thing I did Sunday is replace the 4 blade Bravo 24P with a 3 blade Mirage+25P. Flipper has left building. Porpoising is all but eliminated at 45mph and below"

Very wise move!
Are all of you 22 owners listining to this guy?

I wonder how the wrong props keep getting on these 22"s?

BEAUTIFUL BOAT!!!!

Trueser
07-24-2006, 04:01 PM
really nice ride.

Can't wait to see it.

Carl C
07-24-2006, 04:15 PM
I like it! Maybe we'll hook up @ a MADCOW event. Did all of the AEs come without lifting rings?:boat:

DonziBlue
07-24-2006, 05:36 PM
All I can say is: It rides nice, sounds nice, and looks nice.

Within 15 minutes of the boat arriving Jeff already had people walking up at the marina saying, "Wow. Nice boat!" It was great hearing that engine when you fired it up.

Glad you got the porpoising issue resolved.

I can't wait to ride along side you in Lake Michigan. I just love watching the C22 glide through the waves.

Brad

catch 22
07-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Jeff, WOW. Very, Very, Nice.:yes: There is something about an all red 22 Classic. Good luck with her. Keep in touch. Jim

BaldEagle
07-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks every one. I'll let you know when I figure out how to get it above 65.
Carl, regarding the lifting rings, from the photos Ive seen and the old brochure it looks like they just put a pop-up cleat there instead. I do like the rings. Wish they would have put the ring in the front and a cleat further aft on both sides. Also the seats dont snap out. Not so sure I miss that though. Ive not drivien power assist cable before. My 18 has internal hyd steering. It seems like there is a lot of play in the wheel, a couple of inches of dead band when turning one way or the other. Is that normal? I also noticed the throttle doesnt seem to be as response. When I made small corrections and reduced the throttle setting it actually increased it. Maybe a cable support is loose. I've only had about two hours to spend with it. Work keeps getting in the way of my schedule.

Not to change the subject but here's a interesting comment. I got a question on my 18 from eBay from an 18 owner, as he later admitted, that says with a stock 30th anniversary C18 350 Mag/Bravo with three adults and full tank of gas he gets 74.4 Mph Gps. Says he has chine walk after that. Hear that Ranman. Ive never had chine walking problems with that much weight. Of course my 6.2 MPI doesnt get 74.4 Mph Gps woth three adults and 40 gal of fuel. Says he was running a 25 pitch prop at 52-5300 rpm and hitting the rev limiter and switched to a special 27" prop and runs at 5100 rpm 74.4 mph. Hasn't come up with the ratio yet.
Im trying to find out what Gps he is using so I can order one for my boat.

Jeff

Dr. Dan
07-25-2006, 06:21 AM
:eek!: :smash: :spongebob

Holy Schnikeys Batman!:wavey:

Guess I missed some posts...where the hell did that Grenade come from...nice Boat Dude....

Good Luck...any direct questions feel free to call me any time...717-512-3656 or email me...

Very Very Cool... Now ya need to get a good Trailer to bring that Puppy to some Events.

Congrats... Man that is Red!:beer:

Doc :smash:

roadtrip se
07-25-2006, 11:44 AM
My 18 has internal hyd steering. It seems like there is a lot of play in the wheel, a couple of inches of dead band when turning one way or the other. Is that normal? .
Jeff

My 2001 came with cable steering and it had the play you describe. I have driven other 22's with it and they all had the same thing going on.

Nothing is going to feel as precise as hydraulic steering. With the money you saved over buying the boat new, can a latham upgrade be too far in the distance?

roadtrip se
07-25-2006, 11:59 AM
"First thing I did Sunday is replace the 4 blade Bravo 24P with a 3 blade Mirage+25P. Flipper has left building. Porpoising is all but eliminated at 45mph and below"
Very wise move!
Are all of you 22 owners listining to this guy?
I wonder how the wrong props keep getting on these 22"s?
BEAUTIFUL BOAT!!!!

Agree with the move to chuck the Bravo One and replace with the Mirage, but the Precison TXP three blade, the Hydromotive Quad IV, and the Hydromotive P5 all have their place and time, too, on my rig with great results.

These horsies are not one trick ponies by any means. Jeff, I would think a Q4 would be a good choice to smooth out the ride in the chop on Lake Michigan. Just try and go stock for testing purposes... "labbed" means too many things to too many people out there these days.

Ranman
07-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Not to change the subject but here's a interesting comment. I got a question on my 18 from eBay from an 18 owner, as he later admitted, that says with a stock 30th anniversary C18 350 Mag/Bravo with three adults and full tank of gas he gets 74.4 Mph Gps. Says he has chine walk after that. Hear that Ranman. Ive never had chine walking problems with that much weight. Of course my 6.2 MPI doesnt get 74.4 Mph Gps woth three adults and 40 gal of fuel. Says he was running a 25 pitch prop at 52-5300 rpm and hitting the rev limiter and switched to a special 27" prop and runs at 5100 rpm 74.4 mph. Hasn't come up with the ratio yet.
Im trying to find out what Gps he is using so I can order one for my boat.

If the boat is stock, it sounds a bit optimistic. I can run 74 GPS too, as long as I'm going down stream in the St. Clair River. :biggrin:

His claim might be possible, but there would have to be some sort of mods done to the boat (more HP, raised X, etc).

As for the chine walking, the 18's will tend to do it if you don't hold any tension on the wheel and you just try to cut a straight line with a sloppy wheel and no hyd steering. I've just learned how to manage the boat so there's no chine walking and how to correct it at the first hint of it (bump wheel in opposite direction of the walk). I've ridden with a few people who don't know this and the ride can get scary, especially when you realize they don't know what they're doing and things start to get out of shape. They just keep it trimmed to the moon and seem to act like nothing is the matter.

These little boats, especially with cable steering take a lot of work to drive fast and stable. I used to run my boat on the ragged ass edge and learned first hand that you can get hurt if you don't watch out. I still like to have fun and fly her, but I'm much more risk adverse than in my younger days. I like to think I'm better in tune with the boats limits. It's only fun until you hurt yourself or worse, someone else.

Let me know when you find out what GPS he was using 'cause I'll take one too.

BaldEagle
07-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Yes Ranman, I do believe he was going down hill, maybe boats in the Niagra area. Three adults and full gas. I have hyd steering in my 18 and with Gold-N-Rod in left seat I didnt have any chine walk on White Lake, (and I think our race wouldn't have been so close, but I dont know how to drive and you do).
I'll let you know if the drvie ratio ever comes out from this guy.

Jeff

BaldEagle
07-25-2006, 06:11 PM
RTSE,
I'm going to have the Donzi Dealer check out a few things since the warrantee is up 01Aug on the AE22. I contacted the regional Donzi rep. and he was responsive too. A few cosmetic trim issues. I'm not sure if there is adjustment on the steering or not. I know Catch 22 has external hyd and is pleased with it. I'm not sure what the limitations are for Int Hyd. I'll have to check it out. It was an option on the AE in 2005. Should be standard dont you agree?
R/e savings on the boat. Yes it was a good purchase however with the shipping & trailer I went a liitle over what my domestic expense report stated.
I did learn something about warrantees though. I wanted to purchase the extended warrantee from Mercury and they gave me a quote but also told me to check with my Donzi dealer as they may have promotion $s available. Yahoo. My local Dealer in Grand Rapids saved me 2.5K on my AE22 and made me a very nice deal on my 18 too, got 5 years, transferable on both.
Jeff