PDA

View Full Version : Outdrives, what are my options?

Ryan23
07-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Not sure what I've got hanging off the back of my boat. I was told they are Volvo 290's, is there any easy way to check?

I don't have power trim and I'd like to add it. The drives were propped up with a set of 4x4 blocks for the ride home. While this might have worked OK when you are only going a few miles to the boat launch, it didn't work for the 660 mile trip home. I must have hit a bump and the starboard block slipped, the block caught the "water inlet horn" (forgive the utter lack of technical jargon) and busted it off while simulataneously driving it into the bellows :(

An oil leak soon ensued. I guess this is kind of a good thing as I wouldn't have known the drive was leaking past the (yoke?) seal into the bellows. I'm waiting on the outdrive manual from the previous owner so I can read it and become a little more intelligent on outdrives. In the meanwhile, I'll see if I can find the bellows and yoke seal somewhere local. The previous owner had replaced both bellows and completely re-sealed the starboard drive and the lower unit on port side at one point in time. I was told the broken "water inlet horn" (pot metal, 90 degree fitting that faces the transom) was only used when you are hooking fresh water up to the drive while out of the water, right?

So back to the original question, what are my options? I'd rather not cut the transom, could I update to some newer Volvo equipment? How about a pair of duoprops? Would I only need the lower assembly or is the upper different too? If the upper is different, would I need to change the transom mount along with it?

I've read the Duoprops offer a bit quicker acceleration and tend to "bite" the water a bit better. However I have ZERO real world experience with this. If you get me a manual though, I can tear it apart and get it back together. I am very DIY oriented.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan23
07-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Argh....

I swung by the local Volvo parts dealer and got a new bellows and upper gear assembly seal (at the yoke). I also bought the SELOC manual.

Pulled the starboard drive off and yanked the upper gear assembly off. Found a pool of white oil. I was told these take 30 weight motor oil. So it looks like I got a nice "milkshake" from water intrusion. Am I right in guessing I'm facing a complete rebuild here?

The oil drain on the port drive is froze up. I'll have to tilt the drive up and whack it with an impact.

Even more fun ensued....:boggled:

I managed to get 3 of the 4 Allens securing the clamp ring to the upper gear housing out (all sorts of crap on the threads). The fourth one rounded :banghead: I haven't drilled it out yet.

So am I wasting my time here? Does anyone have a picture of the transom plate for a 290? I have a couple momentary switches labeled "trim" on the dash. Maybe it *had* 290's at one point and for whatever reason were swapped out.

Please help!

Thanks,

Ryan

hardcrab
07-24-2006, 06:47 PM
hey Ryan,

I have a 290 (not installed) and a transom with it's cutout hole .

I'm here in pasadena if you want to take a look ,