PDA

View Full Version : Prop ?

Sofa King
07-23-2006, 04:17 PM
I launched my boat the other day and hit some underwater cables by the launch that wern't marked at about idle speed :mad: . Each blade has a nick worst one about 1/8". Boat still runs great put i can feel a tad of viberation at high speed that i never felt before. Can this be fixed or do I need a new prop? BTW how do i remove the prop? i have a mirage 25+

TY
Arip

Sofa King
07-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Ty Mp

RedDog
07-23-2006, 06:24 PM
I'd fix it now or buy a spare back-up prop now until you do fix it. The vibration could lead to problems. I bet it cavatates (sp?) easier now too?

I have had the repairs made before - around here for what you describe would cost about $75.00

Ohh - for removal, put a 2x4 board between the prop blade and the drive housing. That will keep the prop from spinning while you back the nut off

Carl C
07-23-2006, 06:25 PM
MP "stress leads to doobies and doobies lead to twinkies":rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

Sofa King
07-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Guys, I measured it now. The blade with the biggest chip (gaug) sp? is 5/32.
Iffin they can shave it out all the blades would it work as good...IE TQ and no cavitation delta from stock? I notice now with a lil bit more seat time and board experience (apolologies to badabing and chrome gorilla) I got my rpms up tp 42-4,300 trimed nicely with a lil tail. Iffin they shave my Mirage 25+ 5/32" would I gain a lil top end and sacrifice negligable TQ?
This may sound stupid but da only stupid question is da one not asked (or your drunk like I am) but does 25+ reference the width (diameter) of the prop or a degree of rake.

I lub dis here board, y'all r da bestest
Arip

boatnut
07-24-2006, 10:53 PM
I launched my boat the other day and hit some underwater cables by the launch that wern't marked at about idle speed :mad: . Arip
Were you near any of the cities that had power outages?? Just a thought.
Ed

chappy
07-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Were you near any of the cities that had power outages?? Just a thought.
Ed
LMAO:smash:
Rich

DonziJon
07-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Hey RIP: Any good prop shop can "Zap" those nicks in your prop with a welder... Grind them back and your good to go. Don't grind off part of the blades to make it "Look Good" or save money. John

PS: I took my SS Cleaver to my local prop shop for a quote. ("Clean it Up") A couple of little dings but I didn't have any "real" issues like you have.. $350. I don't think the price varies much. There's "mapping" and there's someting else I can't remember, that costs more. John

RedDog
07-25-2006, 06:42 PM
H.. $350. I don't think the price varies much...

$ 350 - that's about the price of new - in fact I bet MP can beat that for a new Turbo I.

Next time ship it to me. Seems my local shop can weld up the dings and regrind to shape for less than a 100 - plus say round trip shipping of $50 - save a bunch. It you really want to take me up on it send me a picture of the prop and I'll visit the shop to get a quote

DonziJon
07-26-2006, 11:14 AM
A couple of previous posts got me to thinking maybe I had got it wrong so I took my 21" Cleaver down to the Prop Shop to get an update. I just got back. Here's what I found.

I. Recondition prop, including welding up dings, checking and adjusting pitch, etc. using "Pitch Blocks," (the old fashion way) followed by Polishing. $175.

2. Recondition prop, incluuding welding up dings, checking and adjusting pitch using a "Prop Scan" computer analyzer. Satin finish. $320. Polish: $75 extra.

This place does props up to 60 inches in diameter and that seems to be the the bulk of the business.

The "Prop Scan" (Tm) is a computer wired up to a digital dial indicator on a cross beam mounted over an "indexing head", also wired into the computer. The prop is mounted on the indexing head during the mapping process. Each blade is mapped and once this is done, the prop is removed from the indexing head and taken over to the bench and "hammered" to a new shape then returned to the indexing head for another check. Back and forth..back and forth, Do-Dah, until the desired shape is achieved. Pretty precise..but labor intensive, hence he explained....the difference in cost for the computerized method. John

PS: BIG props are reshaped as required using hydraulic jacks, overhead cranes, etc on a shaping bench, then....back to the indexing head.