PDA

View Full Version : NYC and White Plains NY area...

dr
07-20-2006, 02:06 PM
My 24 year old daughter Jessica is moving to the greater NYC area to attend grad school at Columbia in August. She will be living in White Plains. This is a big move for her and will require adjustments all around as my wife and I will officially now be empty nesters.
Recently she has lamented that one of the things she will miss most is spending time on the lake we live near (Norris Lake just north of Knoxville) and her access to an assortment of boats, especially the Donzi Classic we’ve had the last 10 years.
For those familiar with that area of the country are there any nice lakes or bodies of water nearby where she could maybe rent one at least occasionally?
Are there any active Donzi groups or clubs in the area that she might check out?
Any information or recommendations would be appreciated.
David

Marlin275
07-21-2006, 08:34 AM
City Island in the Bronx rents small skiff fishing boats and North Cove at the World Financial Center in Manhattan has a sailing club, but thats about all I have found.

That is the reason I bought my Donzi cause there is nothing good to rent.

Dr. Dan
07-22-2006, 08:02 AM
:bighug: Well... it's a small world ...my Brothers only Daughter also just moved to NYC just after the 4th of July. White Plains is kinda right in the Center Hub of a Wheel that would run out to Lake Winnie in New Hampshire, Lake George which is an hour or so North of Albany up 87, and also 1000 Island @ Alexandria Bay New York ...which is a bit further West... we drive right by White Plains on my way to Lake Winnie.

I would suggest if she is lonely for some Donzis... she skidaddle to Lake Winnie this coming weekend... introduce herself or have her shoot me a private mail with her name... tell her to bring a friend and she needs to bum a ride... she can look at the Events Thread and find the details for lodging...she just has to get there and cover her food and drink...

Lake Winnie is a pretty low key(:eek!: ) and very welcoming crowd...this year we are having a Hawaiin Theme Dinner on Saturday Night with a BBQ and Smokin Cook-Off. The Event is this coming weekend... if that is too soon... we boat down in the Northern Chesapeake Bay...she is welcome to join us when we are not at a Donzi Event... exit 100 off of I-95 is the Town of North East Maryland.... it's the home of the Rock the Bay Poker Run and some really cool water and great venues to party and great Crabs....

Also the Lake George Fall Picnic is always the weekend following Labor Day... so its the 9th ,10th and 11th this year. This is usually my favorite Donzi Event. Family oriented...BBQ on an Island with a Bunch of Donzis...eating everything from Greek Shish Ka Bobs to Matty's Famous Steak :beer: Sandwiches...its not low calorie...but its "High Calorie Fun with Donzis Right in the Middle".... the Fall Picnic is the Coolest Donzi Event .... shy of maybe the owner Rally. Its just a great low key time....

If she has any questions or you do...please feel free to give me a call I will answer what I can....:cool!:

Doc
717-512-3656
www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com :smash:

sue
07-22-2006, 08:25 AM
I live in Mamaroneck which is a 15 minute drive from White Plains. All of the lakes that I have been to that are some what close by are not worth going to. There are so many boats & people that it gets really crazy & in my opinium, not enjoyable at all. I do all of my boating on Long Island Sound which is also a 15 minute drive from White Plains. I do not know anybody that rents any decent power boats. You are welcome to join me & go out on the water. If you have any questions about the area, send me a PM. I have lived in Mamaroneck my whole life so I know the area very well.
Sue

dr
07-22-2006, 08:51 AM
for the detailed information and invitations. I’ll share them with Jessie.
Doc, regarding this weekend, she’s not making the move until mid August and I assume (hope) she will be busy with getting settled and school for a while. But knowing her I expect her to ‘get out there’ and starts enjoying herself to the fullest from the get go.
In regards to Mattaboys concern over informing the girlfriends and wife’s that a college girl is coming along, as a father I don’t know how to say this without sounding like a dirty old man; pedophile; or at least an pompous parent, but yes in addition to being bright she’s also very attractive….perhaps it would alleviate some of the girlfriends and wife’s anxiety if she brought along her housemates….in addition to her fiancée who is completing his second medical residency, she shares the house with two young single doctors….of course this may cause some indigestion for others…:lookaroun