PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Removal of 2006 22 Classic

DudeHoss
07-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Hey guys!

As always, before I do anything I check with the experts. On the Donzi website under the options for the 22, it gives two options for Quick and Quiet Exhaust.

Exhaust - Quick & Quiet II w/Mufflers (non-switchable)
Exhaust - Quick & Quiet Plus w/Mufflers (switchable)

Well, I want to remove my mufflers but I'm not sure if I can or not. Does it matter which Quick & Quiet System I have if I just want to take them out?
I assume to remove the mufflers I remove the exhaust tips off the transom and pull them out from there. I'm hoping this will add a little horsepower and make the boat sound a little better. Any thoughts???

mrfixxall
07-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Do you have a pic so we can see which tips you have?
Most of us would replace the tips with the internal flaps in them so water lake water wont rusn back in the tips through the transm whyle the boat is docked...

DudeHoss
07-20-2006, 11:25 AM
This is the only picture I have right now. This is when we picked it up in florida.

BUIZILLA
07-20-2006, 11:45 AM
If your looking for more speed, gutting those Corsa mufflers won't do it fer ya... I'd leave 'em alone...

JH

Morgan's Cloud
07-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Those tips look the same as my setup , which was packaged as the Q & Q +
The ' + ' means that your switchable through the leg when you want to ...
I believe the 'baffles' in those tips are a combination of welded and bolted in.
I would guess that someone around here has performed surgery on them before.
Is your exhaust switchable ? How much noise you want to make aside ... I read from ..hmm was it Mr X ? .. somewhere ,that when he was testing for Donzi they discovered that the option of the ' + ' in the Q&Q system allowing the exhaust to go through the Y pipe as well as through the transom made for a faster boat than one with only through trans exhaust.
I rembered it because it was quite interesting that it implied (I believe) that the through trans only boat was unmuffled.
One would have thought it would have been faster .

vonkamp
07-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Nice boat. That looks like Sarasota, yes?

v

ChromeGorilla
07-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Buizilla is right. The inly difference you will see is in the tone of the exhaust note. now removing the turbulators is another thing....... if one were so inclined to do so....

DudeHoss
07-20-2006, 12:43 PM
The picture was taken in Pomano Beach. The boat is a whole lot cleaner now a days. So you guys think I should leave them alone and leave them in? I figured with the quick and quiet choice I wouldn't mind the boat being a little louder. I also figured it would let the motor breath a little better. Are the mufflers there to tune the exhaust? Will I lose HP if a I take them out?

mrfixxall
07-20-2006, 12:52 PM
From what ive seen with changing them to a regular angle cut tip i got 100-200 more rpm out of them with the angle cut tips..You still have the Q-Q if you want to make less noise...

gcarter
07-20-2006, 05:08 PM
I just got rid of my slash cut tips on my Minx and installed mufflers identical to yours. I just got tired of the "bark". It's quite annoying after about 15 minutes, and if it's all day you could start cursing them.

RedDog
07-20-2006, 06:25 PM
do some searches for more info

here in one - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43740&highlight=tip

Carl C
07-20-2006, 06:42 PM
I took my cans off my '05 22 and put on straight tips w/internal flappers. No increase in speed but it sounds better. I have Q&Q plus.:alligator

LKSD
07-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Dont remove the baffles... It can be bad news. Replace the entire tip with an new one that has the internal flapper & external salisbury flap.. I can get you replacments from corsa to do this. It wont give you any extra diff in power. Just a lot more noise.. G carter is right.. It may get annoying after a while, thats why I didnt do mine. Removing the turbulator plates in the exhaust manifolds will grab you a bit more power & sound but will void your current merc warranty if anything goes wrong..

Jamie / Lakeside :)

Shanghied Again
07-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Back in 1999 when i superchrged my boat I tried to remove those Baffles they don't come out they are welded to the sides I gutted the turbulator and it really didn't make much noise difference, So I did the next logical thing. Bought new open tips. Remeber one thing if you have a 496/HO they like back pressure and run better with the Corsa tips then having them open.

Pismo
07-21-2006, 08:32 AM
You have to remove the old tips and buy new ones that are straight thru. The mufflers are totally unnecessary with switchable exhaust anyhow so go ahead and remove them. Easy, cheap swap. Make sure the flange on the new tips is at least the diameter of the old cans so it covers any marks on the hull. If you get straight thru tips I bet you'll gain some rpm, maybe 100. All mufflers eat some hp.

Carl C
07-21-2006, 08:44 AM
Remeber one thing if you have a 496/HO they like back pressure and run better with the Corsa tips then having them open. Frank, I've noticed my speed down just a bit since swapping to the unmuffled tips but it has also been hot and humid. I love the sound and can switch it through the prop for longer cruises. Do you really think the open tips hurt performance? Any other opinions or experiences on this?:confused:

BUIZILLA
07-21-2006, 08:58 AM
In LG, I was fortunate to be able to play with Sue's HO boat....

with the exhaust closed, it ran 72.9, flat water, 4 people, full fuel

with the exhaust open, it ran 72.9, flat water, 4 people, full fuel

at WOT, the noise difference was so negligible, that you really couldn't tell if it was open or closed, so I left it closed most of the day

on my 252 Formula, it ran 53.0 thru the prop, with the later added thru hulls it ran 53.0

the 72.9 in Sue's boat was with the M+ prop, which I hated. It ran 72.6 with the turbo prop with absolute flawless manners, just ask BB...

JH

Mr X
07-21-2006, 09:06 AM
I bet it was NOT closed at WOT, it was blowing open.
Thats why it sounded the same and ran the same speed. You are NOT supposed to run the engine over 3000 RPM's with the exhaust closed.

Shanghied Again
07-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Most of the Quick and Quiets will open when you add back pressure they are designed to that. A 525 can not run with heavy restriction and Corsa designs them to open. They are the same switchable on the 496/HO also the tips have baffles in them to give the motor some back pressure. If you put a Pro Charger or Vortex Supercharger you will notice the difference.
My 22 ZX with the procharger ran exhaust open 82 mph with exhaust closed 85 mph Prochargers like back pressure. The only engines that like full open are carb and Big Blower Motors. Most of your EFI stuff likes a little back pressure.

DudeHoss
07-21-2006, 06:50 PM
THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!

I wish I had read this before I got started last night after work. The Quick and Quiet Plus Cans have mufflers the are welded and bolted in. You guys were right again. The only option is to buy the other tips. JW how much are different tips? I have pictures of everything that we did and I will post them tomorrow. That way when other people have the same dumb idea I did hopefully this will deter them.

gold-n-rod
07-21-2006, 07:04 PM
THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!
I wish I had read this before I got started last night after work. The Quick and Quiet Plus Cans have mufflers the are welded and bolted in. You guys were right again. The only option is to buy the other tips. JW how much are different tips? I have pictures of everything that we did and I will post them tomorrow. That way when other people have the same dumb idea I did hopefully this will deter them.

I paid about $200 for my Corsa slash tips. Easy to install, loud and way cooler than the cans. Do it. When they get on your nerves, switch the exhaust to quiet.

:wavey:

gcarter
07-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Check eBay, you can find some bargains.

LKSD
07-22-2006, 12:01 PM
THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!

Currently the corsa replacments for your cans are about 300.00 They are made to order for any thing that replaces an exterior tip circumfrence of over 5.5" which some of the Donzis have. Some of corsa's baffle tips go to 6.5" exterior dia.. Thier custom made tips for the 4" hose will cover the old can marks from the big external diameter baffle tips.. You just have to special order them.

If you have small baffle tips then you can go aftermarket currently starting at about 150.00 per pair. THey would have an internal anti surge valve..

No matter what way you go make sure you have an internal antisurge valve in your straight thru's and even a salisbury if its a straight cut is good ins... Otherwise on the classics it's a bit risky if you stop too fast or back up too fast, launch too fast etc.... Jamie / Lakeside :)

Pismo
07-24-2006, 12:10 PM
I have the merc silent choice which doesn't blow open, probably be better if it did, and I can't break 72.5 GPS with it set in thru prop mode, 74.5-75.5mph GPS when open so 2-3 mph more when open. Very obvious noticeable difference.