PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else got Nitrogen?

ChromeGorilla
07-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Did somethin pretty neat today for the boat trailer. Where I work (Michelin) they have new N-flation Stations for employees to use. It's a pretty cool set up. You pull up and they have a machine that you hook to your valve step that purges all the air out and then pressurizes the tire with nitrogen. It then purges all the N2 out and fills the tire again with nitrogen. You end up with 97-98% nitrogen. It has nice digital controls and readouts to set and monitor your desired pressure. A complete purge and fill cycle takes about 6 minutes per tire. Did the boat trailer and truck.

They have 2 tires mounted in a display with a display in between. They update the display with date and time they pressurize each of the 2 tires. (they do it at the same time.) The nitrogen filled tire holds the pressure MUCH longer vs the one with air.

they also have a large portable tank of N2 you can sign out if you need to take one home for the lawn mower or what not....

onesubdrvr
07-18-2006, 08:11 PM
CG,

What type of system? Hankison? Ingersoll Rand? I work for an I/R dealer, and we have a few of them out there, pretty neat, it is the future for tire filling that's for sure. I have a BIG tire re-treader (semi tires) that's looking hard at a system, and all the dealerships are getting them now. Good plus for the tires thats for sure!

Talk at 'cha later
Wayne

gcarter
07-18-2006, 08:13 PM
So CG, the N is drier and lacking the 21% O2 and its oxidative qualities, why does the N filled tires stay pressurised longer?

onesubdrvr
07-18-2006, 08:21 PM
So CG, the N is drier and lacking the 21% O2 and its oxidative qualities, why does the N filled tires stay pressurised longer?
Couple things George

1) N2 molecules are larger than there O counter parts, thus, fewer penetrate the membrane of the tire
2) N2 is very stable, pressure doesn't fluctuate much with temperature

Most airplane tires are filled with N2 as the drastic change in temperature from take off and landing to that of cruising at 30k feet is pretty drastic, and affects the pressure, if it were inflated properly at rest before take off, it would be flat upon trying to land.

Also, yes, due to the process used in making the N2 (in these systems a simple membrane), most everything is taken out, so you have a low dew point N2 at like Chromie said, 98-99% purity.

Wayne

gcarter
07-18-2006, 08:24 PM
I knew the N was more stable hence the use in aircraft and racing tires, I hadn't thought through the molecule size thing.

gcarter
07-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Membrane technology has come a long way in the last 10 years.
In the water treatment business, you'll see water softeners using membranes and no resin or salt regenerant within five years I think. They're not here yet and I heard the five year thing the first time about ten years ago.:confused:

But we do have reverse osmosis membranes today that require half the pressure and give 50% more production than ten years ago.

onesubdrvr
07-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Membrane technology has come a long way in the last 10 years.
In the water treatment business, you'll see water softeners using membranes and no resin or salt regenerant within five years I think. They're not here yet and I heard the five year thing the first time about ten years ago.:confused:
But we do have reverse osmosis membranes today that require half the pressure and give 50% more production than ten years ago.
My little RO Membrane at the old house was about the size of a thermos and made a little over 2 galons a day, not too bad, but, the rest of the system was CRAP!!

More Later :wink:
Wayne

onesubdrvr
07-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Wayne, we NEED to talk.... Gonna be around WPB 2morrow AM picking up a truck, buzz the nexhell please...
George, the molecules are larger I believe...
Scott,

Will do,

I've got a quick call up here in PSL tomorrow, then I'll head down that way, Also, Got a favor to do for a friend tomorrow too :) , but I'll give 'ya a call when I'm done at stop 1.

Talk at 'cha then
Wayne

gcarter
07-18-2006, 09:06 PM
My little RO Membrane at the old house was about the size of a thermos and made a little over 2 galons a day, not too bad, but, the rest of the system was CRAP!!
More Later :wink:
Wayne
The current Kinetico under sink RO will produce over 35 GPD @ 40 PSI with a 1:1 production ratio. It's unmatched in the industry.
But two of the commercial Kinetico RO's will deliver 1200 & 1500 GPD @ only 105 PSI and a 1:1 production ratio!!!!! They're very small and use only 1/2 HP.

gold-n-rod
07-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Did the boat trailer and truck.....

Oh, does the nitrogen give one better traction, too?

[ducking for cover]

:wink:

RedDog
07-18-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm sorry - I have too much else to worry about. I'm just glad / hopeful I can keep plain 'ol air in a tire....:confused:

ChromeGorilla
07-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Besides lasting longer in the tire, george is right. it is not corrosive to the rubber and the rim like normal air is (to a certain extent) and wayne is right about the leak rate and the benefit f being inert and immune to changes in temp.

Wayne, the sign said it's basically a protoype that being tested at work. it was developed by Michelin and I forget what company..... I'll take a look tommorrow.... maybe even snap a pic..... Packaged quite nicely and very easy to use.

ChromeGorilla
07-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Oh, does the nitrogen give one better traction, too?
[ducking for cover]
:wink:

man.... talkin about comin flyin in and gettin blindsided..... MP...boxy...Cuda even..... but I didn't see it comin! :D

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Lenny
07-18-2006, 10:26 PM
The Company I work for has 6500 vehicles running around.

All but one, yes, ONE, are Leased. It makes sense in the previous cases stated, but when the Lease runs out in 2-5 years, and THEY (Lease-holder) pays for tires etc, then where does it really help?

Poodle, you own your trucks (Corporate) or lease 'em?

onesubdrvr
07-19-2006, 05:49 AM
All but one, yes, ONE, are Leased. It makes sense in the previous cases stated, but when the Lease runs out in 2-5 years, and THEY (Lease-holder) pays for tires etc, then where does it really help?
My company leases as well, but after 84,000 miles in less than 2 years, I needed tires, could still cut down on costs depending on miles / etc.

Later Y'all
Wayne

gcarter
07-19-2006, 05:59 AM
I think, Lenny, it would pay off w/better reliability, fewer tire failures on the road due to employees not maintaining proper tire pressure. Fewer tire issues means better service to the customer base.